Boyes and Hecht

RazielSabre

I've been contemplating something:

If we could drastically reduce their contracts to those in line with 3rd/4th liners would we want them still after seasons end, I mean Boyes as a 3rd line RW and Hecht as a 3rd line center. That keeps Gausted and Kaleta on the 4th line. I mean signing them to no more than $2mill each, preferably $1-1.5 mill a season on one year contracts. I'm basing this on their performance so far.

Or are we better off cutting our losses?

Personally - I'd keep 'em, Boyes and Hecht aren't much offensively but can chip in goals, both seem to be working hard recently and are sound defensively.

Hecht as a third line center is money in the bank. There are probably plenty of teams that would pick him up just for that. Unfortunately if a team doesn't have a the first two center positions filled up the expectations are too high. What is a free agent third line center going to make? 2.5 - 3 Mill? As a winger Hecht is better but would probably have to settle for less. I would love to see the guy on this team again next year, but I just don't see them putting up the money and should probably spend it on a first-line center.

As for Boyes, it's like the Connolly situation If they can sign him for 1.5-2mil. fine. I think he is overdue for a nice run driving his value up. If somebody is going to throw money at him. Bye

Hecht as a third line center is money in the bank. There are probably plenty of teams that would pick him up just for that. Unfortunately if a team doesn't have a the first two center positions filled up the expectations are too high. What is a free agent third line center going to make? 2.5 - 3 Mill? As a winger Hecht is better but would probably have to settle for less. I would love to see the guy on this team again next year, but I just don't see them putting up the money and should probably spend it on a first-line center.

As for Boyes, it's like the Connolly situation If they can sign him for 1.5-2mil. fine. I think he is overdue for a nice run driving his value up. If somebody is going to throw money at him. Bye

I don't see Boyes as an offensive forward any more though, his more of a two way forward who might chip in 20 goals-ish. Agree with most of it though though, certainly if someone is willing to throw cash I'd let him go.

Good point regarding Hecht but do you think his at that stage where not having to uproot his family is more attractive than an extra million.

They are overpaid for their roles in the salary cap era. But their roles are important. They take care of the puck, settle down a game when needed, are responsible (if not perfect) in their own end, and generally can kill some ice time while the top two lines have a breather. And they're not exactly devoid of offensive skills; they just aren't 40-goal scorers.

But these roles need to be filled more cheaply to free cap room for that true no. 1 center that we're all waiting for. If that's done with two similar players at a lower price, I'm happy; if that's done with the same two players at a lower price, I'm fine with that, too.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep Hecht at 2 mil a year than Gaustad. I swear my head is going to explode if gooseshit gets a multi-year contract similar to his current one.

I don't think that's crazy at all.

I'd consider keeping them. But then you have to ask yourself who are you getting rid of to keep them?

I like Hecht and Boyes. But you can't look at it in a vacuum.. so.. for fun let's assume some lines:

1: Vanek / Pominville / Center TBD

2: Kassian / Adam / Leino

3: Gerbe / Hecht / Boyes

4: Kaleta / Gaustad / Ellis,McCormick,Tropp, etc.

I wish I had the contract lengths handy so I could see who we have to sign, etc. But if you look at that list you don't see certain players.. I left out Roy, so he's either at the top line or nothing. I left out Ennis, where does he fit? I left out Foligno, Szeczchura (if he ever sticks), Whitmore (if he sticks, he hasn't yet), and more...

We're going to need to clear up the log jam soon enough. Injury protection or otherwise. We are good now by keeping players in Rochester and calling them up but at some point you have to make a decision. Kassian can't be in Rochester next year unless he's a bust. Foligno will be a 3/4 liner. Again, I need to see contract lengths so if someone has a source I would appreciate it.

It's all what the market will bear and that depends on who else at their positions will be available. Also, when does the CBA expire? A new agreement would have an impact as well.

I would welcome Hecht back and maybe Boyes too, but I would want to see how the overall player movement / availability all shakes out first before making any commitment to either.

I'd consider keeping them. But then you have to ask yourself who are you getting rid of to keep them?

I like Hecht and Boyes. But you can't look at it in a vacuum.. so.. for fun let's assume some lines:

I wish I had the contract lengths handy so I could see who we have to sign, etc. But if you look at that list you don't see certain players.. I left out Roy, so he's either at the top line or nothing. I left out Ennis, where does he fit? I left out Foligno, Szeczchura (if he ever sticks), Whitmore (if he sticks, he hasn't yet), and more...

We're going to need to clear up the log jam soon enough. Injury protection or otherwise. We are good now by keeping players in Rochester and calling them up but at some point you have to make a decision. Kassian can't be in Rochester next year unless he's a bust. Foligno will be a 3/4 liner. Again, I need to see contract lengths so if someone has a source I would appreciate it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BUF

here you go

I

I could be content with a lineup that looks like yours. Of course, it assumes that Adam and Kassian have developed to the point where 2nd line status is justified. If that doesn't happen we'll need an upgrade over Hecht/Boyes. the end of the season should give us an idea if this is reasonable or not.

Yep I like those lines.

Excellent, thank you. So, in looking this over we have contracts to discuss with: Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Kaleta, Ennis, Stuart, Szczechura, Gragnani, Kotalik, Morrisonn, Brennan, Schiestel, Biega, Leggio, Whitmore, Persson, Turnbull, MacIntyre, and Ryan.

For the most part I'll ignore Rochester, but I would say Brennan gets a contract and at least one of the goaltenders. I think the rest are irrelevant to the Sabres plans, trade bait at the prospect level, or resigned for Rochester requirements.

I would let Kaleta go unless he signs for a very low number. He's oft-injured and a marked man (like that charging call the other night which was utter BS). I like him, I know he's from Buffalo.. but this is business. Ennis.. gone. Stuart? Gone. Szczechura I would resign but he's still up and down material (I have liked his play overall though). Gragnani... that screams trade even though he's just an RFA.

Guaranteed next year (barring trade):

Vanek / Pominville / Roy*

Kassian / Adam / Leino

Gerbe / Stafford / X

McCormick / Ellis / Tropp*

So, the X is open.. and yes, I would sign Hecht for the 3rd line center money. Of course you have to also look at who else is available in the NHL, I haven't done that either. The starred players I think are questionable to be on the Sabres. One way or another I believe Roy is gone before next season. Tropp hasn't made the roster yet. Stafford might be traded but his is a longer contract at $4m so it could be more difficult. I don't like him at $4m on the 3rd line but who knows.. we know he CAN be good, we just need to see if he can do it for an extended period of time.

BTW, on defense it gets piled up. Only Gragnani is an RFA, everyone else is under contract. I thought this was Leopold's last year but he has one more. In my opinion that makes him high value trade bait at the deadline. He's $3m and if he keeps showing his stuff like he has been someone will want him and the Sabres are already trying to replace him.

I could be content with a lineup that looks like yours. Of course, it assumes that Adam and Kassian have developed to the point where 2nd line status is justified. If that doesn't happen we'll need an upgrade over Hecht/Boyes. the end of the season should give us an idea if this is reasonable or not.

Adam is either top line or 2nd line next year. I think he'll be worth it. Kassian is another story but he'll just bounce between the two... no way he's in Rochester next year.. he might not even end up there this year but it looks like he will.

Archived