OT: Superstitions and Such

frissonic

We had some friends over for the Caps game. My buddy got one of those blue buffalo hats that have been seen at the arena and around some road games. He wore it for the game, and criminetly but they scored 4 goals in the 1st. I wore my newly-minted tie-dye shirt. I plan on wearing my tie-dye, but he can't make it over. Something about bronchitis or something. So now I'm seriously worried that they won't win.

Which, from a purely logical standpoint, is just ludicrous. I have precisely jack sh** to do with their on-ice performance, regardless of whether i wear my new home jersey, away slug jersey, home goad head jersey, eat a pound of deep-fried bacon before the game, wash my hands counter-clockwise after peeing while sitting, or whether sit on the 3-seater instead of the love seat ... yet mentally, I can't shake that feeling like I somehow personally caused negative karma by not ordering a triple cheese/pepperoni pizza from Papa Murphy's, or because I didn't listen to the pre-game show.

So my question is this: what are your die-hard or crazy superstitions that you abide by? I have but one that I've stuck to since the last days of last year's regular season: rally candy. I swear, it works. and no--I have not used it the entire season. Again, I have guilt, and I'm mostly partially semi-okay with you either knowing or not knowing that because I know it's not my fault. Except it is.

Sh** ...

None.

Blasphemy! Don't you know that the brand of beer you drink, cigarettes you smoke, and where you sit at the game or in your own living room plays an integral part of the teams success?!

On a serious note, I've done my best to rid myself of my own superstitions when it comes to watching hockey and football, but the one I usually stick to when I watch at home is I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice when Miller is in net because it's a Miller product and I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon whenever Enroth or our others backups have been in net.

but the one I usually stick to when I watch at home is I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice when Miller is in net because it's a Miller product and I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon whenever Enroth or our others backups have been in net.

Dude: I don't know your financial situation but maybe you should try upgrading your beverage choices a bit. The Sabres may play better if you drink better! :D

I had a hat that I wore for every game that I would watch or go to, and they won a ton of games with that for a while. Once they lost, I went and bought a new hat (remember this is just games I watched or went to). record was something like 8-1 with the hat. New hat hasn't worked as well. neither has the beverage choice, where I sit during the game, or the jersey I have on. Might need to start the beard...

Dude: I don't know your financial situation but maybe you should try upgrading your beverage choices a bit. The Sabres may play better if you drink better! :D

My financial situation is ok (not great or anything) and I can certainly afford more expensive beers but I've been drinking the Beast Ice and PBR since high school and I've gotten to the point where I actually prefer them. Maybe 15 or so years of drinking the yellow corn water swill has just left my palette permanently unsophisticated. When I attend games live in Raleigh I typically pound Labatt Blues at the arena, but that's because they don't swerve my brands of choice.

Go Sabres

My financial situation is ok (not great or anything) and I can certainly afford more expensive beers but I've been drinking the Beast Ice and PBR since high school and I've gotten to the point where I actually prefer them. Maybe 15 or so years of drinking the yellow corn water swill has just left my palette permanently unsophisticated. When I attend games live in Raleigh I typically pound Labatt Blues at the arena, but that's because they don't swerve my brands of choice.

Go Sabres

But since this is a thread about superstitions, just think how great it would be if the Sabres' play was directly proportional to the quality of your beers? Come to think of it, you've been drinkin' that stuff for a long time. You may just be part of the problem! :angel:

But since this is a thread about superstitions, just think how great it would be if the Sabres' play was directly proportional to the quality of your beers? Come to think of it, you've been drinkin' that stuff for a long time. You may just be part of the problem! :angel:

Start up the trade rumors!!!!! :rolleyes:

You might be on to something. I did start drinking as often as I could get away with it in about 1997 when I turned 16 and got a job and that's right around the time Darcy and Lindy came on board. Perhaps I should switch to bourbon or scotch or something?

The fact that 90% of the current discussion threads have nothing to do with the team, coaching, or it's players is all the proof I need that everyone has been lobotomized by the Sabres play of late.

my "lobotomy" pre-dates any current sabres' team swishing down the toilet bowl. there was a period where i was convinced that the 4 super bowl losses and 'no goal' were 100% my fault--that the entire sports karma universe bore down on me for wishing titles for my teams. even as a half-hearted, semi utah jazz fan, i watched in agony as the bulls dismantled them 2 years in a row.

no, this debacle right now transcends JUST the current play. this is years--nay, decades, of wishing and hoping for a trophy of any kind--be it lombardi or stanley.

and i do not think i stand alone in that decades-long stretch, either.

I am not necessarily superstitous, (ok, maybe a little) but when my friends gather in front of the TV to watch our beloved, we narely do so without freeze pops, and Labatts. Its more tradition than anything. Although some of my friends swear by it.

Last night I popped open a Dog Fish IPA to get the festivities started, and we were down 2-0 before I finished my beer. Needless to say, my friends blamed me for the loss.

However, I purchased a Lafontaine jersey before the season started, and they have not lost in regulation when I wear it. I have worn it to 3 home games already, and the Sabres are 3-0-0. My Miller, Gerbe, and Myers jerseys are about to go into hibernation, because there records are not so stellar. Not only that, but Miller, Gerbe, and Myers have all been injured, and have been performing subpar this season.

I have wondered if I have some sort of curse on the jerseys I have bought. In my assorted sports jersey arsenal, I have Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Derek Lee, Carlos Zambrano, Bo Jackson, Jamarcus Russell, and Darren McFadden (which I purchased around week 4 this year). At the risk of sounding ego-centric, I think I should stop buying jerseys, and call Lafontaine to tell him to look both ways before crossing the street.

You might be on to something. I did start drinking as often as I could get away with it in about 1997 when I turned 16 and got a job and that's right around the time Darcy and Lindy came on board. Perhaps I should switch to bourbon or scotch or something?

Either I'm on to something or I'm on something. Either way, no need to go right to the hard stuff (we want to build slowly to the Stanley Cup afterall). Start out with a nice IPA or a Stout. This way, you won't break the bank, nor kill your liver, to see if it works.

Blasphemy! Don't you know that the brand of beer you drink, cigarettes you smoke, and where you sit at the game or in your own living room plays an integral part of the teams success?!

On a serious note, I've done my best to rid myself of my own superstitions when it comes to watching hockey and football, but the one I usually stick to when I watch at home is I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice when Miller is in net because it's a Miller product and I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon whenever Enroth or our others backups have been in net.

I can attest to Drunkards statement. I witnessed him drinking PBR last year in the parking lot for the April Canes game in Raleigh. Enroth was in goal of course.

I can attest to Drunkards statement. I witnessed him drinking PBR last year in the parking lot for the April Canes game in Raleigh. Enroth was in goal of course.

On a side note, PBR is an excellent compliment to charred baby flesh, plus it still allows me to function sexually during the raping and pillaging process.

Edit: Or maybe I raped the babies and ate the women, I can't remember. I usually head to games right from work so I'm pretty much sober, but after 2 hours of pounding Milwaukee's finest corn swill in the parking lots before games and 2 hours of double fisting 24 oz Labatt Blues during the games, I sometimes forget proper pillaging etiquette.

Archived