Never seen anything quite like this

X. Benedict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0cbsiHPxZfY

How many games is this slash worth on Cattenacci's former linemate in the Soo?

15-20 games if you ask me. He not only slashes him, he then drops his gloves and proceeds to punch the guy who is now in a cruppled ball of pain on the ice... of course if a bruin had done it... no suspension due to lack of intent.

Watching that makes me sick, the refs should have allowed the red team to beat the guy more than they did... I did like the bench clearing effect though. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being horrendously dirty, that was a 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0cbsiHPxZfY

How many games is this slash worth on Cattenacci's former linemate in the Soo?

That's not egregious enough to warrant any punishment beyond a penalty. The accused's stick was clearly moving in a certain direction and then the other player got in the way. It's unfortunate that a good player like Nick Cousins got injured, and any similar instances in the future should be looked at. Having said that, heightened sensitivity to vicious slashing shouldn't cloud our judgment on a case like this that clearly wasn't meant to harm.

/Shanahan

Didn't Bertuzzi do something disgusting like that back in the early 2000s? Intentional slash to the head or something ... it is sickening to watch ... hmmm I'll try to find a youtube.

EDIT: Oh right it was a punch to the head from behind:

The slash in the original post is pretty disgusting.

That's not egregious enough to warrant any punishment beyond a penalty. The accused's stick was clearly moving in a certain direction and then the other player got in the way. It's unfortunate that a good player like Nick Cousins got injured, and any similar instances in the future should be looked at. Having said that, heightened sensitivity to vicious slashing shouldn't cloud our judgment on a case like this that clearly wasn't meant to harm.

/Shanahan

:clapping: Oh good, there is an applause smiley!

BRANCH ACCOUNT

OHL commissioner David Branch on the rational behind the five-game suspension to London Knights forward Ryan Rupert for slashing Soo Greyhounds star Nick Cousins last Friday night:

"We didn't see a baseball-style swing as some accounts had it. We viewed it as more of a chopping action. Illegal use of the stick is something of concern, but he also hit the Soo player in a place on the body that is well-protected."

Branch also took into account that Rupert was reacting to Cousins, who was suspended two games for enticing the Knights player after the final buzzer.

He discounted further discipline for bullying after Rupert threw off his gloves and punched the Greyhound player. "We looked at that, but we didn't see that as the classic case of bullying. He did hit the player, but then realized what he was doing was wrong and stopped."

free press link

Hey thanks!

5? Wow...So Cousins gets 2 games for taunting...and Rupert gets 5 games for a baseball swing.

Ain't that something.

BRANCH ACCOUNT

OHL commissioner David Branch on the rational behind the five-game suspension to London Knights forward Ryan Rupert for slashing Soo Greyhounds star Nick Cousins last Friday night:

"We didn't see a baseball-style swing as some accounts had it. We viewed it as more of a chopping action. Illegal use of the stick is something of concern, but he also hit the Soo player in a place on the body that is well-protected."

Branch also took into account that Rupert was reacting to Cousins, who was suspended two games for enticing the Knights player after the final buzzer.

He discounted further discipline for bullying after Rupert threw off his gloves and punched the Greyhound player. "We looked at that, but we didn't see that as the classic case of bullying. He did hit the player, but then realized what he was doing was wrong and stopped."

free press link

It is almost like Branch is apologizing for his ruling as he's making it.

Funny how hockey has trouble with these decisions at every level.

/Shanahan

A lot can be learned via phone call.

15-20 games if you ask me. He not only slashes him, he then drops his gloves and proceeds to punch the guy who is now in a cruppled ball of pain on the ice... of course if a bruin had done it... no suspension due to lack of intent.

Watching that makes me sick, the refs should have allowed the red team to beat the guy more than they did... I did like the bench clearing effect though. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being horrendously dirty, that was a 12.

Should have been 15-20 for the slash, and another 10-15 for jumping on him afterwards. Bush league BS.

I know a lot of people aren't too crazy about it, but that kind of incident where the law could very easily get involved. The slash is one thing, but to then follow up by jumping on him and pummeling him? Plain and simple, that's assault.

Agreed.

It is almost like Branch is apologizing for his ruling as he's making it.

Funny how hockey has trouble with these decisions at every level.

Did Branch consult Shanny on this?

Seriously, though - that's embarrassing for the league. The incident is bad enough, but for the league commissioner to essentially excuse it is almost equally reprehensible.

The goal scorer was being a dick... I honestly think 5 games is quite fitting. If you wanna skate up to me with ur arms raised after just winning then you are probably gonna get punched in the mouth. I thought the stick was a bit much but he didnt hit him in the face or anything.

I really hope you're kidding. Even if he climbs onto your bench and follows you to the dressing room chirping all the way no one deserves to be hit baseball-style and then jumped when down. But in any case if he thought the guy was being a dick you push him and challenge him to fight straight up. You don't swing your stick like that at an opponent. EVER.

Yeah, that 135 degree rotation on that slash was nothing more than a chop. Talk about setting a standard. If you are being taunted you are now free to react violently. You'll get a slap on the wrist, but the league will defend your actions. When will hockey learn? The culture of this game is self-destructive.

Yeah, that 135 degree rotation on that slash was nothing more than a chop. Talk about setting a standard. If you are being taunted you are now free to react violently. You'll get a slap on the wrist, but the league will defend your actions. When will hockey learn? The culture of this game is self-destructive.

Too many old-school dinosaurs in charge, watching the brawl and thinking about how this will really sell some tickets for the next time these guys play.

Should have been 15-20 for the slash, and another 10-15 for jumping on him afterwards. Bush league BS.

Agreed.

Did Branch consult Shanny on this?

Seriously, though - that's embarrassing for the league. The incident is bad enough, but for the league commissioner to essentially excuse it is almost equally reprehensible.

I really hope you're kidding. Even if he climbs onto your bench and follows you to the dressing room chirping all the way no one deserves to be hit baseball-style and then jumped when down. But in any case if he thought the guy was being a dick you push him and challenge him to fight straight up. You don't swing your stick like that at an opponent. EVER.

I think the "chop " was bad but I think 5 games is pretty fitting for that it was unsportsmanlike all the way around on both parties. I would have just dropped the gloves and punched him in the face but the kid was in the moment and swung the stick. It is a huge deal and I am sure he was talked to by the league about it. The stick used to be used as a weapon a lot more and it has gotten a lot better. There is still a huge difference between slapping a guy in the gut instead of going at his head neck or back. I really dont think this incident is as bad as everyone is making it seem.

5 games is a joke for that. Unless he physically attacked him first there is no excuse for chopping someone in the midsection then jumping him while he's down. Celebrating like a douche is not a mitigating factor.

I think the "chop " was bad but I think 5 games is pretty fitting for that it was unsportsmanlike all the way around on both parties. I would have just dropped the gloves and punched him in the face but the kid was in the moment and swung the stick. It is a huge deal and I am sure he was talked to by the league about it. The stick used to be used as a weapon a lot more and it has gotten a lot better. There is still a huge difference between slapping a guy in the gut instead of going at his head neck or back. I really dont think this incident is as bad as everyone is making it seem.

Punching Cousins in the yap is one thing, and probably justified.

No doubt a interesting suspension term, and no doubt reputation of player slashed and his actions pass and present weighted into it. Coach stating that player a instigator ect, as opposed to expressing outrage speaks volumes. Will say Branch has been a excellent Commissioner, over the past few years handling a ever changing game in its many facets, the issue of "head shots" being one of them, OHl led out on far ahead of others. Its a dicey area dispensing suspensions, what Branch does is view on their deeds rather than a simple black and white , right or wrong, he leaves some grey. Frankly if this man handled NHL discipline, the League would much much better for it. Before you jump on Branch and his process, give the man a listen when you have some opportunity, he a genuine hockey man , not a owner and player sycophant. Can remember back in the day, Hap Emms Flyers - Eddie Bush Red Wings at the Falls playoff game, Wings had scored in empty net to win series, Falls fans began chanting Bocar, Bocar, the teams resident gazoonie, out he came, circled in his end like Eddie Shack used to do on the Big M or Booby Hull to make a rush, Bocar raised his stick like Sabre twirled it, raced from his end to the Wings Goalie, now talk about baseball swings, Bocar took a baseball swing , not stomach level , but directly as goalies head. (goalie ducked) or Bocar missed however you wish. Can't even imagine had there been a Youtube and internet , media scrutiny of today, but that was a baseball swing , what the London player did while not to be condoned and was clearly not acceptable , was a hack. Good reasoned decision on Branches part, in my opinion.

Archived