Follow the NFL - White Jerseys at Home

johnyvegas

Couple things.. does anyone know when the NHL starting wearing dark jerseys at home? I had an arguement with someone who said it's always been dark at home. I am certain that is not the case but couldn't say when and why they switched? I really miss the whites, dark at home just seems wrong to me. The NHL should follow the NFL's lead and bring back the whites.

Couple things.. does anyone know when the NHL starting wearing dark jerseys at home? I had an arguement with someone who said it's always been dark at home. I am certain that is not the case but couldn't say when and why they switched? I really miss the whites, dark at home just seems wrong to me. The NHL should follow the NFL's lead and bring back the whites.

The NHL changed, I believe in the 90's EDIT: 2003 (just saw the post above). The NFL is actually the same, as the NHL. The home team only wears whites once in a while. For example: THe Billsa re wearing their whites at home for the first time in 25 years this Sunday...

NHL teams wore dark at home back in the 1960s but changed in the 1970s for several reasons, one of which being teams started going on more and longer road trips, thus they didn't wash their jerseys each night, and if wearing dark, they wouldn't be too noticeable to the crowd. In 2003 they switched back, because they wanted to get back to how it used to be (dark at home), but that was just a ploy, the real reasoning was every team had a 3rd jersey now teams could wear the 3rds at home without the road team needing to bring their whites. If you remember prior to the lockout, each team had 3rds but games you wore those in was split 50% between home and away games, and the league felt it would benefit jersey sales if they could wear majority of those dates at home.

I am one of those that wants the whites back for home games. The third jersey point put forward by Vanek-Man is probably the only reason they are dark now. That can easily be overcome by picking selected dates far enough in advance.

The NHL changed, I believe in the 90's EDIT: 2003 (just saw the post above). The NFL is actually the same, as the NHL. The home team only wears whites once in a while. For example: THe Billsa re wearing their whites at home for the first time in 25 years this Sunday...

A couple of teams wear white at home as a matter of course: Dallas and Miami. (Or did Miami finally stop doing that?)

I am one of those that wants the whites back for home games. The third jersey point put forward by Vanek-Man is probably the only reason they are dark now. That can easily be overcome by picking selected dates far enough in advance.

I'm with you. maybe it is an "I grew up with it" thing but I prefer to see whites at home. Always have.

The big problem with dark jerseys at home is that every home game looks about the same -- your team in their dark jersey versus a white team. In the Sabres case, it's a navy blue team versus a white team every night. It was more fun when I was a kid going to the Aud with my dad and it was the Sabres versus a red team or a blue team or a green team (or orange or purple or black, etc.). Every game looked a ton different.

What the NHL should do is:

-Have teams wear white at home to start the season through New Years Eve.

-Have teams wear dark at home starting on January 1st until the playoffs.

-Let teams do whatever they want for the playoffs -- home team decides, away team wears white/dark in response.

This way fans get to see their team wear all their different jerseys (white, dark, 3rd) at home during the season and teams would have the freedom to do white alternate jerseys if they want to. And if you're a season ticket holder, you get to see a ton of different jerseys come into your building during the season.

I'll hang up and listen.

A couple of teams wear white at home as a matter of course: Dallas and Miami. (Or did Miami finally stop doing that?)

Dallas does, because we are slated to wear our blues there next week...and Miami switches honestly. Monday night game they wore the green/orange, but there have been a few games that they've worn white.

Miami and Tampa often wear whites especially during the early parts of the season I figured to beat the intense heat. Force the opposition to wear the colors that get reflected by the sun. Any edge. Dallas always wears white, but sometimes the Redskins, Eagles, Saints and Panthers do too. I like the new Bills blue, so it will be weird to see them at home wearing white this weekend.

The big problem with dark jerseys at home is that every home game looks about the same -- your team in their dark jersey versus a white team. In the Sabres case, it's a navy blue team versus a white team every night. It was more fun when I was a kid going to the Aud with my dad and it was the Sabres versus a red team or a blue team or a green team (or orange or purple or black, etc.). Every game looked a ton different.

QFT

Archived