GDT: 9/24 Leafs at Sabres 7PM

spndnchz

Adam is much more confident with the puck versus last season. Last year it was like he was playing with a hand grenade. Not sure if he makes the team, but he will definitely be the first forward call up, followed by IMO Tropp who has been really solid this preseason.

Completely agree. Would hope to see Adam at center before Hecht.

So far Leino and especially Ehrhoff have impressed with their play and Ehrhoff is a beast and I haven't seen him make a defensive mistake so :thumbsup: LOVE IT!

A couple failed zone-clearing passes come to mind... but he seems to be worth the few mistakes thus far. In regards to Ehrhoff I mean.

I felt tonight was the most complete game for the Sabres, and aside from Roy, Hecht, and Pominville, it seems like they were playing everyone. Only other scratches were on defense between Gragnani and Weber. So, this was a pretty full lineup with Enroth in net. I felt the Sabres played really well tonight. Ehrhoff was excellent yet again. It was nice seeing goals coming from the Vanek line and the Stafford line. I think Regehr-Myers is a really good tandem and it makes Myers play with a bit more of an edge and meaner. I also really like the Leopold-Ehrhoff combo, they seem to play very well together and developing some chemistry.

Again, it's tough to take anything away from this game given the level of competition, but again, I liked what I saw. Toronto only scored one legitimate goal as the first Grabovski goal would have been disallowed in the regular season upon video review. So, good performance overall from the team. Only thing I would have like to have seen was a 5-on-5 goal, but I liked the puck possession, the zone time, and the number of shots on goal as the Sabres really dominated tonight 5-on-5 and PP. The score in my mind did not reflect it being a close game. The Sabres really dominated tonight in my opinion.

I thought Boyes played a very strong game. Perhaps he can't be expected to do that playing with Hecht and McCormick (which looks like the 4th line by process of elimination), but with Vanek he and Adam looked great. And beyond that, Boyes just looked much more aggressive ... Perhaps the combo of a new system and playing center had him tentative last season.

And who knows, maybe someone was scouting the game and liked what they saw and decides to make a deal.

The other interesting defender entering the mix is Braydon McNabb. Combined with Sekera, he looked pretty good. Made some Rookie mistakes, but played well, making some nice passes and he has a Canon for a shot, a little like Erhoffs but not yet quite the accuracy and knowing how to get himself in position to get it off. Doubt he will make the team this year, but he could be a call up if a couple guys get injured on D. He could push Grags, Weber and Shakira for the last two spots on the roster. The other side is that he is physical and skates better than Weber and is a better passer than Sekera.

Sekera seemed to be on his game last night, only one really bad turnover and he played really well in the offensive zone and on breakouts.

The other interesting defender entering the mix is Braydon McNabb. Combined with Sekera, he looked pretty good. Made some Rookie mistakes, but played well, making some nice passes and he has a Canon for a shot, a little like Erhoffs but not yet quite the accuracy and knowing how to get himself in position to get it off. Doubt he will make the team this year, but he could be a call up if a couple guys get injured on D. He could push Grags, Weber and Shakira for the last two spots on the roster. The other side is that he is physical and skates better than Weber and is a better passer than Sekera.

Sekera seemed to be on his game last night, only one really bad turnover and he played really well in the offensive zone and on breakouts.

You can Leopold to that mix. With the talent the Sabres have on the blue-line Leopold and his contract are extremely expendable. I would like to see Leopold and Boyes moved at some point during the season. There are too many younger players I would rather see in the line-up than those two.

Leopold and Boyes represent $7 mil of cap space I would like the Sabres have available come trade deadline. There is no way of telling what the Sabres primary needs will be at that point. With injuries and everything else that can happen during the season I would like to see the Sabres in a little better situation as far as the Cap. I like the idea of the Sabres having the pick of the litter come rent-a-player time.

Archived