Moving to Wordpress...

SDS

Good call, though I spend more time on SS then updating my own website, my web designer Dan Green, thegreeninternetgroup.com designed it in word press. It sure is easy to use and wwe have inserted different templates that were all easily modified. I am sure one or more can be found to meet the needs of the group. It is open source as well.

Dan does a lot of webdesign and there are a lot of editable templates available to put in operation. If you have any questions, I am sure he would be willing to answer them.

Also, though I am more a lurker, there is a tech user group based in Western, MA called hidden tech. Hidden Tech's purposes amoung others is to bounce tech ideas and questions off of different talented people to solve tech web issues, answer questions, and to find talent that can help... Hidden-tech.net It is free to join and Dan is apart of this group.

when you say, "moving to wordpress," do you mean that you're using wordpress' website (e.g. blahdeblah.wordpress.com), or are you using the wordpress software on your hosting account? i use the latter on godaddy, and i really, *really* like it.

if you're interested, you can download a program called "artisteer" that allows you to make your own WP themes. http://www.artisteer.com/. something to think about ... though you probably already know about that. :)

when you say, "moving to wordpress," do you mean that you're using wordpress' website (e.g. blahdeblah.wordpress.com), or are you using the wordpress software on your hosting account? i use the latter on godaddy, and i really, *really* like it.

if you're interested, you can download a program called "artisteer" that allows you to make your own WP themes. http://www.artisteer.com/. something to think about ... though you probably already know about that. :)

Using the software. I already have the theme in dev as you can see. :)

Great stuff. *LOVE* the transaction box, that is a great feature. I'm always looking for a quick way to see news like that.

Would really enjoy some articles on the more strategic aspects of the game (general hockey). How coaches counter x with y, that sort of deal, not just Sabres. Is there a good source for those?

Wordpress is good stuff, but since I deal with Wordpress hosting every day at work (we have tens of thousands of wordpress sites), make sure you keep it updated with the latest patches. When exploits get out, and they do, tons of sites get compromised pretty quick. If you keep up to date on patches, though, it's generally fine.

Really nice design SDS!

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, made mucho progress on the main navigation bar that I think you'll all like. Much more to add, but you can see how it is progressing. Plus, I replaced the twitter feeds on the bottom with headlines from NHL, Sabres, and WGR...

SDS, what would it take to add like a news ticker to the header? I just had the thought and thought you might find it interesting. I'm thinking an NHL ticker would be pretty sweet

do you mean a scrolling ticker?

either way, I do not see the point. Few would be willing to stare at a time based feed that is relatively infrequently updated.

do you mean a scrolling ticker?

either way, I do not see the point. Few would be willing to stare at a time based feed that is relatively infrequently updated.

yes, like buzz tape of something. I was thinking it might be a neat more aesthetic addition to the page. Just listing headlines with short descriptors etc.

Just an idea.

We are getting close!

http://www.swingshiftmedia.com/

We are fully functional, but not fully complete. 24,000 article links imported. New archives (you can now go to any month/day/year and see what was submitted that day) are operational.

I'm sure format will need to be tweaked some, and the content blocks will change until we find the right mix...

in case anyone is wondering - the "star" links to the separate wordpress post.

right now, I'm trying to decide between comments or likes/dislikes on the articles. Hopefully, we can have a single WP/Forum login.

Wordpress is good stuff, but since I deal with Wordpress hosting every day at work (we have tens of thousands of wordpress sites), make sure you keep it updated with the latest patches. When exploits get out, and they do, tons of sites get compromised pretty quick. If you keep up to date on patches, though, it's generally fine.

Speaking of which: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/02/wordpress_zero_day/

Seems like you're in the biz, SDS, so you probably know that using popular software on always-connected systems requires complete vigilance on patching. This case in an extension, though, although the end result is the same.

http://www.swingshiftmedia.com/

This will allow for much more freedom to publish new content (articles). I just have to figure out how to layout the news to make it readable and not take up too much space. I haven't really addressed that yet, but you can see where I'm headed (I think).

Fantastic idea!

Archived