Will Erhoff sign with the Sabres?

nfreeman

Now do you believe?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What's it gonna be? Will Erhoff sign with the Sabres?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Erhoff does sign with the Sabres, will it be before the UFA period begins (i.e. before noon EST on Friday)?

• Signs with Sabres before UFA period begins
    • Signs with Sabres after UFA period begins
    • Does not sign with Sabres
  3. 3. Erhoff turned down $4.6MM x 5 years from Vancouver. If you were DR/TP/TB, what is the maximum you would pay Erhoff?

• $5MM x 5 years
    • $5MM x 6 years
    • $6MM x 6 years
    • more than $6MM x 6 years

I voted 6x6 after UFA starts. I think we are going into it with that mind set. That we don't need him to sign before hand that ultimately he will sign with us but by trading for his rights we had a days extra time to persuade him and give him an offer to see if he can go out and get a better deal. I think ultimately he will find the answer is no.

I wouldn't pay the guy more than 5M/yr. He's good, but doesn't Chara make 5.5? And don't the Sabres have a Myers to worry about fitting under the cap?

Chara's cap hit is $6.9MM ($8.5MM actual salary this year). That is for the 7-year extension he signed last year at age 33. When he joined the Bruins in 2006 (ie at age 29, which is the same age Erhoff is now), he got $7.5MM x 5 years.

Certainly Erhoff is nowhere near as good as Chara is. However, Erhoff is the #1 UFA defenseman this year, and the cap is about 46% higher than it was in 2006. Chara got 17% of the Bruins' cap in 2006. At $6MM, Erhoff would be getting 9.3% of the Sabres' cap this year.

BTW, since I haven't posted in a while (before today), I didn't get the chance to wish you a complete and speedy recovery. Hope all is well and please stop mixing the grain alcohol and codeine with the Duffs and Super Mightys (except of course when Erhoff is in town).

Chara's cap hit is $6.9MM ($8.5MM actual salary this year). That is for the 7-year extension he signed last year at age 33. When he joined the Bruins in 2006 (ie at age 29, which is the same age Erhoff is now), he got $7.5MM x 5 years.

Certainly Erhoff is nowhere near as good as Chara is. However, Erhoff is the #1 UFA defenseman this year, and the cap is about 46% higher than it was in 2006. Chara got 17% of the Bruins' cap in 2006. At $6MM, Erhoff would be getting 9.3% of the Sabres' cap this year.

BTW, since I haven't posted in a while (before today), I didn't get the chance to wish you a complete and speedy recovery. Hope all is well and please stop mixing the grain alcohol and codeine with the Duffs and Super Mightys (except of course when Erhoff is in town).

That's what happens when I get my numbers from the comment section in a TSN web article.

And thanks; all now is well.

One point that jumps out at me so far is that a significant percentage (8/36 at this point, or 22.22%) think that the Sabres will get him but wouldn't pay more than $5MM x 5 years for him. He turned down $4.6MM x 5 years from Vancouver. Hockey heaven or no, I don't think it's realistic to think that he will come here for a contract that is only 8.7% (or less) higher than what he turned down from the SC runner-up in a beautiful city.

Archived