THN Rankings

Patty16

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/hockey-news-ranks-sabres-%233-nhl-franchise

In their annual ranking of NHL franchises, the magazine has the Sabres rated just behind Detroit and Pittsburgh. Buffalo is ahead of teams such as the Blackhawks, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins and Canucks.

The Hockey News uses nine categories, such as front office, ownership, playoff success, draft success, franchise value and attendance. Each category is ranked on a statistical formula. The Sabres received the maximum of 10 points for their front office, and attendance. They received the highest score among the 30 NHL teams for their draft success.

That stat is based on two points for every drafted player who has been an NHL regular for a full season.

No, they count for drafting success, just not on the scoresheet :(

It's tough without knowing what range of years they're using or how far back they are going to determine this grade, but those players should count for the Sabres just as much as Hecht, Boyes, Grier, Niedermayer, Connolly, Leopold, Morrisson, and Montador count for other teams.

It's tough without knowing what range of years they're using or how far back they are going to determine this grade, but those players should count for the Sabres just as much as Hecht, Boyes, Grier, Niedermayer, Connolly, Leopold, Morrisson, and Montador count for other teams.

By some objective measure DR doesnt suck. go figure.

No doubt Regier has been good in drafting and development but he clearly sucks in player transactions/ trades. A good G.M. doesn't make a couple of good trades then rest on his laurels for the next half decade.

Objective measure? They award points for a draft pick that starts in the league for a year.

Guess how you get so many of your draft picks to play? When you let a constant stream of veterans walk and get nothing in return, so you have to force young, cheap players in the lineup who wouldn't crack the top 20 of any serious contender.

Pegula probably reads The Hockey News, and somebody who was lucky enough to keep their job with the Sabres called in a favor, knowing full well Pegula would read this and get another shot of Hockey Heaven dopamine coursing through his blood.

Objective measure? They award points for a draft pick that starts in the league for a year.

Guess how you get so many of your draft picks to play? When you let a constant stream of veterans walk and get nothing in return, so you have to force young, cheap players in the lineup who wouldn't crack the top 20 of any serious contender.

Pegula probably reads The Hockey News, and somebody who was lucky enough to keep their job with the Sabres called in a favor, knowing full well Pegula would read this and get another shot of Hockey Heaven dopamine coursing through his blood.

As sad as it sounds, more or less, it is the truth :doh: :wallbash: :doh:

And you probably haven't read it at all.

Yup thats an objective measure. Tell me how its not? How else would you propose to fairly measure draft success? Lets say DR kept all the guys you wanted him to keep, but still was good at finding guys through the draft. Those players would eventually be traded or leave when their first contract was up, since the roster was full on the big club.

You would still have lots of players drafted by DR playing on other teams.

I agree that he is not so good with transactions. But drafting is a skill, and he is better than most. Even when the numbskulls around here were demonizing video scouting.

When you let a constant stream of veterans walk and get nothing in return, so you have to force young, cheap players in the lineup who wouldn't crack the top 20 of any serious contender.

How many of the current Sabres fit that mold?

Yup thats an objective measure. Tell me how its not? How else would you propose to fairly measure draft success? Lets say DR kept all the guys you wanted him to keep, but still was good at finding guys through the draft. Those players would eventually be traded or leave when their first contract was up, since the roster was full on the big club.

You would still have lots of players drafted by DR playing on other teams.

I agree that he is not so good with transactions. But drafting is a skill, and he is better than most. Even when the numbskulls around here were demonizing video scouting.

The ultimate objective measure is playoff victories and Stanley Cups. That's why they play the game.

I will not knock Darcy, or whoever is doing the scouting. That has actually been one of their strong points. I also never knocked video scouting as it gets you 90% of where you need to be at 10% of the price. I understand the theory behind it. If money is no object, there is no excuse not to have bodies on the ground....but I can't be in 3 places at once, but with all the internet technology out there, I can see something happen 4,000 miles away, review it, get on the phone, email videos, and have a deal done in a matter of hours.

There's nothing wrong with having fun with numbers and feeling proud of your team. It just smacks of goofiness when the front office is given a 10/10 in general given the past 5 years. It would be like saying Greece is the 3rd best run country in the world because you give them credit for starting Democracy.

And you probably haven't read it at all.

I used to work at a library and when it would come time to put the magazines in order that had been ruffled through on the shelf, I would laugh how on February 18th the April issue would be out and be relevant for the past December. That's the last time I really looked at the Hockey News.

How many of the current Sabres fit that mold?

It goes back to 2006-07. Dumont, Grier, McKee, Pyatt, Drury, Briere, walk.....Paille, Stafford, MaCarthur, Sekera come in. The drafting itself hasn't been bad, but in 5 years it has been overpaying marginal veterans while letting better veterans walk and bringing in young kids. The current roster actually has the best crop of youngsters at a decent price, but they go and get more of the same with Boyes at $4 million.

A lot of their guys develop eventually. They just force them in early and the team gets substandard results as a whole on the ice. Even last year. Maybe one of these days they will figure out you need leaders to teach your potential how to lead.

Heck, Florida has a lot of homegrown talent.

The survey is for the last 5 years. :wallbash:

So it this is not only outside the "mold" it is outside the scope of the frickin survey .

but I'm sure you'll be making this point again in another thread soon.

They gave the front office a 10/10 for the past 5 years......not just drafting.

That's all I need to see to know what to do with it.

Let's face it, a ranking from 06-07 really means only 2 draft years are being evaluated. And one of those draft years (07) has no representation on the Sabres roster. Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis from '08 really make or break our standing on any evaluation of drafting from 06 onward, and most teams aren't seeing any impact from '08 yet. In a couple seasons more teams will being seeing there 08 picks bearing fruit, changing these rankings.

They gave the front office a 10/10 for the past 5 years......not just drafting.

That's all I need to see to know what to do with it.

It's nice to know you have opinions on things that aren't worth your time. <_<

I guess you feel the need to degrade even the most innocuous discussions. It's a pattern.

Let's face it, a ranking from 06-07 really means only 2 draft years are being evaluated. And one of those draft years (07) has no representation on the Sabres roster. Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis from '08 really make or break our standing on any evaluation of drafting from 06 onward, and most teams aren't seeing any impact from '08 yet. In a couple seasons more teams will being seeing there 08 picks bearing fruit, changing these rankings.

They change year to year, and they are pretty objective....you can argue whether things like continuity, marketing and attendance, should be considered, but as long as they are....but the methodology is pretty objective for such things.

I don't have it with me, but the scores for team record pulled them down. It's fun to look at.

It's nice to know you have opinions on things that aren't worth your time. <_<

I guess you feel the need to degrade even the most innocuous discussions. It's a pattern.

Let's talk about cheddar versus monteray jack. I'm a big fan of the jack....especially with a little hot pepper thrown in. Cheddar is good, but MJ takes the cake.

You know what else I really like? Cars with bench seats. Nothing quite beats the comfort of leaning back with plenty of legroom on the open road.

Nashville.....underrated city with energetic downtown and friendly people.

Bill Cosby is a national treasure and was a professor of african american culture and stalwart for the community with the use of his show as a teaching device.

If you listen closely to the call of the yellow finch, you can hear Emerson Lake & Palmer's, Toccata. I'd like to think that nature and art can live in harmony, always.

Archived