THN Rankings

Patty16

They change year to year, and they are pretty objective....you can argue whether things like continuity, marketing and attendance, should be considered, but as long as they are....but the methodology is pretty objective for such things.

I don't have it with me, but the scores for team record pulled them down. It's fun to look at.

I'm thinking that items like continuity and marketing are going to be awfully subjective and, therefore, prone to bias. I'm inclined to take them with a healthy grain of salt.

Let's talk about cheddar versus monteray jack. I'm a big fan of the jack....especially with a little hot pepper thrown in. Cheddar is good, but MJ takes the cake.

You know what else I really like? Cars with bench seats. Nothing quite beats the comfort of leaning back with plenty of legroom on the open road.

Nashville.....underrated city with energetic downtown and friendly people.

Bill Cosby is a national treasure and was a professor of african american culture and stalwart for the community with the use of his show as a teaching device.

If you listen closely to the call of the yellow finch, you can hear Emerson Lake & Palmer's, Toccata. I'd like to think that nature and art can live in harmony, always.

I like money.

I'm thinking that items like continuity and marketing are going to be awfully subjective and, therefore, prone to bias. I'm inclined to take them with a healthy grain of salt.

As you should. The best thing about it is that it is perhaps indicative that Buffalo is perceived as a very stable franchise on solid footing. Something that couldn't have been said even 7 years ago coming out of the bankruptcy years.

We tend to immediately relate it to the on ice product as fans.

How many prospects has Buffalo lost between 2006-07 (the scope of the survey) and now?

Only Clarke MacArthur (trade) and Chris Thornburn (waivers) come to mind.

three trades Paetsch (2010, raffi torres), Danial Paille (2009, 3rd & cond 4th) and Hejda (beginning of 2006, 7th round pick)

Kalinin(2008), Afinagenov(2009), and Tallinder(2010) Left as UFAs.

All of the above were drafted NHL caliber players that the Sabres lost in the past 5 years and have nothing to show for it. All played at least one additional season in the NHL after leaving Buffalo.

The ONLY draft pick the Sabres have lost in that time and have something to show for it is Brian Campbell who was traded in 2008 for a first round pick that became Tyler Ennis.

The point I am making with this is that our management has excelled at drafting for a long time, but in the last 5 years has lost a lot of talent with nothing in return. I blame this partly on Regier and partly on OSP.

three trades Paetsch (2010, raffi torres), Danial Paille (2009, 3rd & cond 4th) and Hejda (beginning of 2006, 7th round pick)

All of the above were drafted NHL caliber players that the Sabres lost in the past 5 years and have nothing to show for it. All played at least one additional season in the NHL after leaving Buffalo.

The ONLY draft pick the Sabres have lost in that time and have something to show for it is Brian Campbell who was traded in 2008 for a first round pick that became Tyler Ennis.

The point I am making with this is that our management has excelled at drafting for a long time, but in the last 5 years has lost a lot of talent with nothing in return. I blame this partly on Regier and partly on OSP.

Wouldn't the 20 combined seasons these players played for the Sabres be what they have to show for their being drafted?

Wouldn't the 20 combined seasons these players played for the Sabres be what they have to show for their being drafted?

Sure, but the russians could have been traded at the deadline for picks in the later years of their time with buffalo, and at least we'd have something to show for it now, and Tallinder should have been resigned.

My philosophy is to never let an asset's value drop to zero unless they retire. That's why Brian Campbell is still worth something.

Only Paille (nice one) was a Sabre prospect in 2006-07 - The rest were regular roster.

Hedja was already 28 years old.

My philosophy is to never let an asset's value drop to zero unless they retire. That's why Brian Campbell is still worth something.

That's great in theory but NEVER is a strong word ... Should the Sabres have traded McKee at the deadline in 2006 or kept him for a Cup run? Just because they didn't win doesn't mean it was the wrong move. If the Canucks lose the final, should they have moved Bieksa for prospects? What about Ehrhoff? I don't think so ... sometimes you have to take your shot and it means losing players without getting something back. (Please, do not take this as defending the Sabres loss of some guys for nothing ... I am speaking to your philosophy of NEVER doing it.)

That's great in theory but NEVER is a strong word ... Should the Sabres have traded McKee at the deadline in 2006 or kept him for a Cup run? Just because they didn't win doesn't mean it was the wrong move. If the Canucks lose the final, should they have moved Bieksa for prospects? What about Ehrhoff? I don't think so ... sometimes you have to take your shot and it means losing players without getting something back. (Please, do not take this as defending the Sabres loss of some guys for nothing ... I am speaking to your philosophy of NEVER doing it.)

agreed, never is the wrong word. The theory applies all three UFAs though. We were not running at the cup in 08 or 09, and tallinder should have been back. We saved $1M and downgraded to Morrisonn and left cap money on the table.

agreed, never is the wrong word. The theory applies all three UFAs though. We were not running at the cup in 08 or 09, and tallinder should have been back. We saved $1M and downgraded to Morrisonn and left cap money on the table.

I don't remember their exact scenarios, but both Kalinen & Afinogenov played only 46 & 48 games their final seasons in Buffalo. Why would anyone give anything for either at the deadline, especially with them going into unrestricted free agency. Afinogenov only scored 6 goals that season. Seems like an instance where there was no opportunity to move either.

They also signed Leopold as a replacement on D and had Weber coming up from Portland.

I don't remember their exact scenarios, but both Kalinen & Afinogenov played only 46 & 48 games their final seasons in Buffalo. Why would anyone give anything for either at the deadline, especially with them going into unrestricted free agency. Afinogenov only scored 6 goals that season. Seems like an instance where there was no opportunity to move either.

I would say that in BOTH cases, many many many people wanted them gone a year or two before that, when there was value there. Ruff's famous "Show some F&^%ING PASSION!" incident with Kalinin may have even been in 2007 ... Their act was wearing thin even with Ruff long before their contract year.

I don't remember their exact scenarios, but both Kalinen & Afinogenov played only 46 & 48 games their final seasons in Buffalo. Why would anyone give anything for either at the deadline, especially with them going into unrestricted free agency. Afinogenov only scored 6 goals that season. Seems like an instance where there was no opportunity to move either.They also signed Leopold as a replacement on D and had Weber coming up from Portland.

To this^, I was going to say this:

I would say that in BOTH cases, many many many people wanted them gone a year or two before that, when there was value there. Ruff's famous "Show some F&^%ING PASSION!" incident with Kalinin may have even been in 2007 ... Their act was wearing thin even with Ruff long before their contract year.

We tended to hold onto players too long as above, or let them go too soon. I know it's a talent to thread that needle, but I don't think management has had that talent the last 5 years or so.

We tended to hold onto players too long as above, or let them go too soon. I know it's a talent to thread that needle, but I don't think management has had that talent the last 5 years or so.

I can get on board with that, though it tends to change the theory a bit as in the seasons prior to 2008 they were a playoff bound team.

The shame of Kalinin was that he was so Milquetoast ...

He had the best shot from the defense (Brian Campbell and Teppo included).

He was a solid skater. He was big. He was decent on the PK.

He just never had that extra gear. Not a nasty bone in that kid's body.

Archived