Our Defensive Problems

LastPommerFan

19 members have voted

1. 1. Seriously?

• Get a life, loser.
    • Thanks for doing this!

I've decided to review 99% of the 229 Goals that were scored against the sabres this year. I have the GameCenter Vault, and therefore have access to all the games except one which was inexplicably untelevised.

My thought is to look at the 20-30 seconds before the goal to see what the causing play was (Failed Clearing Attempt, Center Ice Turn-over, Uncovered Forward, Goalie/Skater out of Position, etc.)

I only want to have to do this once. So, the the question for the forum is:

What types of stats would you like to see recorded in this analysis?

And yes, I am aware that there are probably better things to do with my time, but I live in hell, and for some reason rick jeanerette's voice is able to drown out the screaming of those suffering the tortures around me.

I've decided to review 99% of the 229 Goals that were scored against the sabres this year. I have the GameCenter Vault, and therefore have access to all the games except one which was inexplicably untelevised.

My thought is to look at the 20-30 seconds before the goal to see what the causing play was (Failed Clearing Attempt, Center Ice Turn-over, Uncovered Forward, Goalie/Skater out of Position, etc.)

And yes, I am aware that there are probably better things to do with my time, but I live in hell, and for some reason rick jeanerette's voice is able to drown out the screaming of those suffering the tortures around me.

How about breaking down where Miller gets beat? Glove hand, blocker side, 5-hole or Miller putting himself out of position.

Wow, that's an undertaking. But thanks for doing it. If you can log the where the shot was taken in addition to the cause, that would be fantastic data.

How about breaking down where Miller gets beat? Glove hand, blocker side, 5-hole or Miller putting himself out of position.

Can do. also high/low regarding the stick and blocker. And I'll do it for Enroth and Lalime in addition to miller ;)

Wow, that's an undertaking. But thanks for doing it. If you can log the where the shot was taken in addition to the cause, that would be fantastic data.

I'll record the shot-from location along with redirected from if there was a deflection.

Can do. also high/low regarding the stick and blocker. And I'll do it for Enroth and Lalime in addition to miller ;)

I'll record the shot-from location along with redirected from if there was a deflection.

You should save yourself some time and skip Lalime.

Break down the Sabres goals for also. What happened 30 sec before they scored, defensive breakdown, breakaway, 2 on 1, turnover, etc.

Can kind of get a comparison of ga/gf.

Unfortunately I need to eat and sleep. This would more than double the work load...we'll see.

I know it's a lot more work but maybe what skaters got beat as well, forwards or defense.

That's not that much more work, I'm going to be looking at the clip anyway, might as well type a skater's name into the spreadsheet.

Probably too much work, but adding where the breakdown / failed clearing attempt / whatever occurred would also be interesting. (Clearing attempt up left side, turnover at right side of far blue line, intercepted crossice pass at red line, 2-on-1 battle for puck behind goal line to Miller's right, etc.)

ANY additional differentiation you add to the base descriptions would be interesting and I'd expect would lead to some of the stat geeks here to perform a more in depth analysis. (If I have time, I might try my hand at analyzing the data as well.)

Just a description of what went wrong: ie "Pominville failed to chip out the puck" "Butler gave it away" "Sekera let his man sneak in back door".

It would be interesting to see whose name pops up the most.

Make sure you have where all the players for the sabres were on the ice. I would also like to know if miller was screen or he just screwed up. You can post it in a month or two lol maybe by next season? Good luck.

Probably too much work, but adding where the breakdown / failed clearing attempt / whatever occurred would also be interesting. (Clearing attempt up left side, turnover at right side of far blue line, intercepted crossice pass at red line, 2-on-1 battle for puck behind goal line to Miller's right, etc.)

ANY additional differentiation you add to the base descriptions would be interesting and I'd expect would lead to some of the stat geeks here to perform a more in depth analysis. (If I have time, I might try my hand at analyzing the data as well.)

I should be able to do location of breakdown. I'll make the data available to everyone once it's ready.

Make sure you have where all the players for the sabres were on the ice. I would also like to know if miller was screen or he just screwed up. You can post it in a month or two lol maybe by next season? Good luck.

I'll do as best I can, but since I'll be using the broadcast footage, some players will simply be marked as "out of view"

Well Forum, I've got the outline set up and I'm geting ready to get started. I only want to do this once, so once I do the first goal, there's no going back. We're shooting to have this done June 22, 2 days prior to the Draft. That should give you WannaBeGMs (including me) a chance to figure out who is tradeable and who is ready to step up to more responsibility.

In process update due to interesting stat:

Through the first quarter of the season 50% of our even strength goals against were in the 2nd period. The only thing I can think of is the long change causing problems for the young D. We'll see what the rest has to say.

In process update due to interesting stat:

Through the first quarter of the season 50% of our even strength goals against were in the 2nd period. The only thing I can think of is the long change causing problems for the young D. We'll see what the rest has to say.

hurry! the suspense is killing me, and I am bored in the offseason. Hopefully your stat analysis demonstrates what flaw there is in our young def so we can be better this comn year.

UPDATE: 35% complete.

So far:

Craig Rivet is terrible. just terrible.

I have no idea how they track turnover stats, but unless TC didn't have a turnover after december, there is no way he only had 45.

Good news, neither is a problem anymore?

UPDATE: 35% complete.

So far:

Craig Rivet is terrible. just terrible.

I have no idea how they track turnover stats, but unless TC didn't have a turnover after december, there is no way he only had 45.

Good news, neither is a problem anymore?

This is pretty much a mystery ... logically, total giveaways should equal takeaways ... but it seems WAY more subjective ... like, if it is a horrible pass, is it just a giveaway but not a takeaway because the defensive player didn't really do anything? And if a guy gets his stick lifted on a nice defensive play, is it not a giveaway because it was a "forced" error?

Either way it seems Connolly just gave the puck away a lot more than the 34 times they say he did ... he played 68 games ... once every other game? No way. And Ennis with more takeaways than Myers? I don't need to watch every game again to call BS on that ... and Roy was on pace to have THIRTY more takeaways than anyone on the team (37 in 35 games)? That's just not right.

Archived