Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I sampled two very different bourbons from Bowman Brothers.

Bowman sources their bourbons from Buffalo Trace, but the whiskey is shipped to Virginia for redistilling, aging and bottling.  I have no idea if the whiskeys are typical Buffalo Trace recipes, or unique to the Bowman label.

First up was John J. Bowman.  10 yr old and 100 proof, making it "bottled in bond".  The nose and palate is redolent of maple syrup.  This is a sugar bomb whiskey.  Not to suggest it is truly sweet.  The finish is dry, and strongly suggests barrel notes of hay and charred oak, with a fair hit of black pepper to end things, but the entry reminds me of maple syrup and pecan pie.  Hints of buttered corn come to mind as the whiskey opens up on the tongue.  A bit of ethanol heat (thanks to the 100 proof), pie spices, hay, and barrel char balances out the sweet notes to keep it from being cloying.  I really like this one.  Alot going on here.

The second was Abraham Bowman.  This is a "high rye" mash bill, with much more rye in the recipe.  The result is an entirely different bourbon than John J..  More intense and spicy.  Also 100 proof but just under 9 yrs old.  Thinner in mouthfeel than John J.  Not nearly the sweetness.  Opens with caraway seed, vanilla, and cinnamon.  A hint of orange peel, cinnamon, and pepper as the whiskey covers the tongue.  The finish gives my tongue the same tingle as a good, strong cigar.  Tobacco, pepper, and mace.  Interesting and delicious, but not quite as long on the finish as John J.

Highly recommended on both counts.

Pricier stuff, but if you are into barrel character you need to fully explore the stuff that Heaven Hill puts out.  Elijah Craig 12, 18, and 23 yr all have good barrel notes, in the 23yr bottling its almost too much barrel.  Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond is a 10 yr old 100 proof pour from HH and has nice barrel notes to it.  Not to the point that WRDO does, but its also a $25 bottle.  Diageo's The Orphan Barrel series of bottles are heavy barrel note pours as well (Barter House, Lost Prophet, Strongbox, Old Blowhard, and Rhetoric).  IIRC they are all around 20 yrs in barrel. But you'll pay around $75-90 for them.

Based on your recommendations I ventured to the local Premier Wine & Spirits and grabbed an Elijah Craig 12 yr as a gift to a friend and brought the misses along and hinted to her some of my preferences in the whisky and scotch aisles. A lot of the hints were for some choices that I have yet to try but have peaked my interest from the descriptions in this thread.

Normally I am a Buffalo Trace/Makers Mark drinker, but I am looking to expand my horizons to truly know what I like in my whisky. Much appreciated for all the posts upthread.

Wow.  Pressure is on for me now.  Hope you enjoy it.

Elijah Craig is going to be closer to Buffalo Trace than Makers Mark in character.  Both BT and EC are rye bourbons, and have the spicy character that rye lends.  MM is a wheat bourbon and is much softer and milder.

Let us know what you think of it.

Wow.  Pressure is on for me now.  Hope you enjoy it.

Elijah Craig is going to be closer to Buffalo Trace than Makers Mark in character.  Both BT and EC are rye bourbons, and have the spicy character that rye lends.  MM is a wheat bourbon and is much softer and milder.

I also picked up a gift box of Glenmorangie 12 yr for my mom's boyfriend. He drinks dirt cheap scotch so I wanted to get him a nicer pour.

I think I prefer the rye bourbons as I have moved from Evan Williams in college to Makers Mark to Buffalo Trace. I am very tempted to try some scotches but the price point on that side of the aisle usually scares me away. Something about the $60-$70 price tag makes me think twice about trying a bottle without tasting it first.

Tonight I sampled two very different bourbons from Bowman Brothers.

Bowman sources their bourbons from Buffalo Trace, but the whiskey is shipped to Virginia for redistilling, aging and bottling. I have no idea if the whiskeys are typical Buffalo Trace recipes, or unique to the Bowman label.

First up was John J. Bowman. 10 yr old and 100 proof, making it "bottled in bond". The nose and palate is redolent of maple syrup. This is a sugar bomb whiskey. Not to suggest it is truly sweet. The finish is dry, and strongly suggests barrel notes of hay and charred oak, with a fair hit of black pepper to end things, but the entry reminds me of maple syrup and pecan pie. Hints of buttered corn come to mind as the whiskey opens up on the tongue. A bit of ethanol heat (thanks to the 100 proof), pie spices, hay, and barrel char balances out the sweet notes to keep it from being cloying. I really like this one. Alot going on here.

The second was Abraham Bowman. This is a "high rye" mash bill, with much more rye in the recipe. The result is an entirely different bourbon than John J.. More intense and spicy. Also 100 proof but just under 9 yrs old. Thinner in mouthfeel than John J. Not nearly the sweetness. Opens with caraway seed, vanilla, and cinnamon. A hint of orange peel, cinnamon, and pepper as the whiskey covers the tongue. The finish gives my tongue the same tingle as a good, strong cigar. Tobacco, pepper, and mace. Interesting and delicious, but not quite as long on the finish as John J.

Highly recommended on both counts.

I feel as though I would like both of these very much.

Wow. Pressure is on for me now. Hope you enjoy it.

Elijah Craig is going to be closer to Buffalo Trace than Makers Mark in character. Both BT and EC are rye bourbons, and have the spicy character that rye lends. MM is a wheat bourbon and is much softer and milder.

As a follow up I did some internetting today and here's the list I landed on for my holiday wishlist:

Bourbon

Blanton's single barrel bourbon $65

Four Roses single barrel $40

W.L. Weller 12yr $30

John E Fitzgerald Larceny $25

Scotch

Highland Park 18yr $105 or 12yr $50

Macallan 10yr Cask Strength $70

Balvenie Double Wood 12yr $50

Bunnahabhain 8yr MacPhail Collection $38

Queen Margot Blended 8yr $22

But what do I know? :unsure:

P.s. I'd still defer to Weave, LTS, Dom or Bio for their experience

Those 4 bourbons are all good ones. Two high ryes and two wheaters, all with very different characteristics. The 4 Roses Single Barrel changes from year to year.  The short version of the long story is, 4 Roses uses 10 recipes that they blend to make their standard label.  The Single Barrel bottling is just one of those ten recipes.  And the recipe they use changes every year.

4 Roses Small Batch is really good too.  And more consistent.  It is a blend of 4 of those 10 recipes, and they use the same 4 every year.

Weller 12yr is freaking awesome.  One of my favorites at any price.

I've never had any of the Scotches on your list.  I occasionally purchase MacAllan 10yr, but not the cask strength version.  I'd love to try that one.

Those 4 bourbons are all good ones. Two high ryes and two wheaters, all with very different characteristics. The 4 Roses Single Barrel changes from year to year. The short version of the long story is, 4 Roses uses 10 recipes that they blend to make their standard label. The Single Barrel bottling is just one of those ten recipes. And the recipe they use changes every year.

4 Roses Small Batch is really good too. And more consistent. It is a blend of 4 of those 10 recipes, and they use the same 4 every year.

Weller 12yr is freaking awesome. One of my favorites at any price.

I've never had any of the Scotches on your list. I occasionally purchase MacAllan 10yr, but not the cask strength version. I'd love to try that one.

Thanks weave :thumbsup:

As a follow up I did some internetting today and here's the list I landed on for my holiday wishlist:

Bourbon

Blanton's single barrel bourbon $65

Four Roses single barrel $40

W.L. Weller 12yr $30

John E Fitzgerald Larceny $25

Scotch

Highland Park 18yr $105 or 12yr $50

Macallan 10yr Cask Strength $70

Balvenie Double Wood 12yr $50

Bunnahabhain 8yr MacPhail Collection $38

Queen Margot Blended 8yr $22

But what do I know? :unsure:

P.s. I'd still defer to Weave, LTS, Dom or Bio for their experience

You flatter me by including me in the same company as weave in the whiskey thread, good sir!   ;)

I've also not tried any of those scotches since I tend to favor the blends and Speysides over peat, but if you're looking for an inexpensive entry-level scotch, Monkey Shoulder is a decent (if uncomplicated) pour that runs around $30.

As for the bourbon:  Blantons is tasty, tasty stuff.  I need a bottle on my bar, matter of fact.  Larceny is also very solid for the price, and not so expensive that you'll feel guilty mixing it.  I'm not a fan of Four Roses personally because I don't care for floral and herbal flavors in general, but plenty of people disagree with me there.   :)   Another excellent one (that I also need for my bar once I'm in a position to re-stock) is Angel's Envy.  Delicious.

BRB; gotta make a drink.

Touched- I can second we've's motion that the 4 roses small batch is really good and more consistent. This is my go to Whiskey.

My Uncle in Law brought some Jack Daniels over for thanksgiving. I hadn't had a sip of Jack in a long time. Tried some straight with a couple drops of water, as I usually take my whiskey. Remembered why I hadn't had Jack in so long, went into the kitchen to get a lemon and my squeeze bottle of simple syrup. Enjoyed a nice thanksgiving sour.

You flatter me by including me in the same company as weave in the whiskey thread, good sir! ;)

I've also not tried any of those scotches since I tend to favor the blends and Speysides over peat, but if you're looking for an inexpensive entry-level scotch, Monkey Shoulder is a decent (if uncomplicated) pour that runs around $30.

As for the bourbon: Blantons is tasty, tasty stuff. I need a bottle on my bar, matter of fact. Larceny is also very solid for the price, and not so expensive that you'll feel guilty mixing it. I'm not a fan of Four Roses personally because I don't care for floral and herbal flavors in general, but plenty of people disagree with me there. :) Another excellent one (that I also need for my bar once I'm in a position to re-stock) is Angel's Envy. Delicious.

BRB; gotta make a drink.

To be fair the list goes Weave...

...everyone else.

I will change my request to the small batch four roses. Thanks gents and ladies

You flatter me by including me in the same company as weave in the whiskey thread, good sir! ;)

As for the bourbon: Blantons is tasty, tasty stuff. I need a bottle on my bar, matter of fact. Larceny is also very solid for the price, and not so expensive that you'll feel guilty mixing it. I'm not a fan of Four Roses personally because I don't care for floral and herbal flavors in general, but plenty of people disagree with me there. :) Another excellent one (that I also need for my bar once I'm in a position to re-stock) is Angel's Envy. Delicious.

BRB; gotta make a drink.

Got a chance to taste a glass of Blanton's at my local watering hole as the first item on my wish list. Damn was that a good pour. I probably drank it way too fast because it was so good but it is definitely worth getting a bottle for the home bar

Oh, speaking of Old Forrester 1870, I got this bottle for my birthday.  Forgot to post my thoughts on it when I first opened it.

The label on the bottle indicates that it is a blend of 3 different barrels, aged for different lengths of time, in different warehouses.  Judging by the color and character, this ain't no 3 yr old whiskey.  90 proof.  Deep, rich amber in color. Sweet honey, cinnamon candy, and herbal notes on the nose.  Brown sugar, honey, spicy mint, vanilla, and caramel on the palate.  There is light, fruitiness there too, like caramelized pears.  Light bodied and a thin mouthfeel, especially after a splash of water is added.  There is a spicy caraway and almost orange character on the way out.  And a long, tingly black pepper and honey finale.

Really nice pour.  And different from the typical Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace bottlings.  

That sounds delicious, weave. Just saw that Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye is Whisky Advocate's craft whiskey of the year:

http://whiskyadvocate.com/2015/12/04/whisky-advocates-22nd-annual-craft-whiskey-of-the-year-award/

Not one I would've tried before, but maybe worth considering given the price point.

Edited by biodork

That sounds delicius, weave. Just saw that Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye is Whisky Advocate's craft whiskey of the year:

http://whiskyadvocate.com/2015/12/04/whisky-advocates-22nd-annual-craft-whiskey-of-the-year-award/

Not one I would've tried before, but maybe worth considering given the price point.

That's a good price. Hmmmmm...

That sounds delicious, weave. Just saw that Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye is Whisky Advocate's craft whiskey of the year:

I've had it, it's really nice but I'm no whiskey expert.

I've been going the cheaper route recently, and have actually been enjoying Famous Grouse and Black Grouse. I think they are basically the bare minimum in quality required to drink neat, at least for me. Not too much going on, but pretty nice flavor and smooth. But still a step down from Johnnie Black. Perfect for scotch and soda.

I also got a bottle of Tullamore Dew for the first time, it's actually not bad. It completely disappears in a whiskey ginger (moreso than Jameson), but on it's own it's surprisingly smooth and balanced. I'm not sure if I like it more than the base offerings from Jameson and Bushmill's, but it's not bad at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.