Philidolphia

inkman

I live down south so you guys have nothing on this area. Some places aren't so bad but in the smaller towns around here you'll find a portion of the people talk like Boomhawer from King of the Hill. They reckon they usta could and go over yonder and things of that nature. Good old back woods yokels.

"Chy-lie" for "Chili". That one is just stupid.

Agreed. I also love "Wall-kit" for "Wolcott" (As in North Rose-Wolcott). Not sure how I'm expected to know that I'm supposed to mispronounce that word when only fifty people live there.

Agreed. I also love "Wall-kit" for "Wolcott" (As in North Rose-Wolcott). Not sure how I'm expected to know that I'm supposed to mispronounce that word when only fifty people live there.

Holy Crap!

Im from there. You've heard of it?!

And no one I know expects the out of towners to say it that way. I dont say it that way but then again.... I escaped.

Holy Crap!

Im from there. You've heard of it?!

And no one I know expects the out of towners to say it that way. I dont say it that way but then again.... I escaped.

Haha, yeah my wife's family has a cottage on Port Bay. To be fair to the locals, the only person who corrects my pronounciation of "Wolcott" is actually from Red Creek so she has no real say in the matter.

[

Fortunately it's only one person -

Unfortunately that person happens to be a broadcaster for MSG and so in a 7 game series I only have to hear him bungle PhilaDOLPHIA about 7 million times - enough already...... :thumbdown:

I am really thinking about complaining to MSG that they should be embarrassed - seriously; a broadcaster who cannot pronounce a city name correctly?

quote name=inkman' timestamp='1302882421' post='277824]

What do people pronounce Philadelphia this way? Discuss.

Yeah, I almost wrote Rach'ster, but yours is probably closer.

While I don't really hear the Rah, the Roch doesn't often get a very typical nasally sound.

What is the alternative to "Rah"?

"Row"? Rowchester?

My wife, who writes movie-related stories for a national newspaper, was born and raised in Buffalo. Yet when she talks to film folks -- many of whom have an ear for dialect and accents -- they often ask if she's from Chicago. They usually mention her flat "A"s and nasal tones. Apparently, Buffalo speech patterns are similar to those of other parts of the "midwest". Don't know if that's a reflection of the Eastern European heritage of Buffalo and WNY or not. Personally, I've never noticed that she has an "accent." Must be because I grew up there and am used to hearing folks from WNY.

Archived