Help me out here: Ruff declined contract extenstion

UNCWrunner

Please help me out here, I'm confused.

TwinCities.com: "Ruff has declined a contract extension from new owner Terry Pegula". link. Also, I've seen this exact topic brought up before on boards.

Pegula seems to love Ruff, almost too much. I like Ruff a lot too and hope he returns. He never gave up on this team, even when they were cellar dwelling and also when Roy went down.

What's everyones thoughts on the actual likelihood that Ruff comes back next year?

(Sorry if I seem so naive on this topic)

I spelled extension wrong too, crap!

I think the consensus is that the author of that article meant the extension Golisano offered Ruff over the summer, which he declined before the season. I'm certain he'll be back next year and I'm happy to welcome him back.

Ahh, so this author got his info wrong?!!! He declined Golsianos extension. Does anyone know if Pegula has made any kind of move to re-sign Ruff (other than just saying that "Lindy will be back" in his introduction as the Sabres new owner speech)?

I think Ruff simply declined because he wanted to see where this season went. Probably was considering retirement or maybe a different team. Now that Pegula is the owner and we've made a push into the playoffs I'm sure that will factor into his decision come seasons end.

I think he'll be back. But I wont cry either if he's not.

I think the writer made a stupid mistake and got it wrong.

A correction tomorrow should put the matter to rest. Based on the online comments to the story, so many people are challenging that statement they'll have to re-check the facts -- that's assuming they have some journalistic scruples.

The author neglects to include relevant quotes from Pegula (Introductory press conference: Ruff "ain't goin' nowhere.") and Ruff (Pst-practice interview from about a month ago: "To use Terry's words, I ain't goin' nowhere.").

I think Ruff declined because he wanted to see how this season ownership change went. And I think he hasn't signed one yet because he's stated he wants to focus on the season contract distraction-free.

Plus, if I'm Lindy Ruff, I take telephone calls and faxes from other teams and use them to demonstrate my market value to the Sabres when they want to resign me, something I can't do while I'm under contract. Then I resign with the Sabres, in keeping of my oft-stated goal, to win this town a damn cup.

I'm with d4rk^, ish. I love Ruff, and think he is a great coach, on the other hand, I don't think I'll be real broken-hearted if we lose him...

I'd be pretty broken hearted if we lose him. I guess I'm a softee when it comes to Ruff. When you say Sabres, I think Hasek, Miller, Ruff, Vanek and Myers, in that order. IMO, he is the main identity of the franchise and is quite successful as of late. Why change the identity of the team now?

The author neglects to include relevant quotes from Pegula (Introductory press conference: Ruff "ain't goin' nowhere.") and Ruff (Pst-practice interview from about a month ago: "To use Terry's words, I ain't goin' nowhere.").

I think Ruff declined because he wanted to see how this season ownership change went. And I think he hasn't signed one yet because he's stated he wants to focus on the season contract distraction-free.

Plus, if I'm Lindy Ruff, I take telephone calls and faxes from other teams and use them to demonstrate my market value to the Sabres when they want to resign me, something I can't do while I'm under contract. Then I resign with the Sabres, in keeping of my oft-stated goal, to win this town a damn cup.

I have a feeling that Pegula will give him all the money he wants. At least $ 1.5 MM a year, probably close to $ 2 MM a year (I'm telling you, Pegula like Ruff A LOT). Which brings me to my next question: do Coach Salaries count against the cap?

I have a feeling that Pegula will give him all the money he wants. At least $ 1.5 MM a year, probably close to $ 2 MM a year (I'm telling you, Pegula like Ruff A LOT). Which brings me to my next question: do Coach Salaries count against the cap?

Not unless they're pulling a Reg Dunlop.

Bad journalism and probably no fact checking? In this day and age? No way.

That website is part of the major daily paper in Minny. I can see some jerkwater pimple-faced teenager with a blog writing crap like that but this guy needs to get dressed down by his editor for such shoddy work.

PTR

That website is part of the major daily paper in Minny. I can see some jerkwater pimple-faced teenager with a blog writing crap like that but this guy needs to get dressed down by his editor for such shoddy work.

PTR

I suspect it's not really that big a deal in Minnesota. He's probably not familiar with the Sabres at all and regardless of new ownership, the point still remains that he declined an extension and is currently not signed past this post-season. The guy clearly didn't do his research but I don't think anybody in Minnesota is going to be calling for his head..

I suspect it's not really that big a deal in Minnesota. He's probably not familiar with the Sabres at all and regardless of new ownership, the point still remains that he declined an extension and is currently not signed past this post-season. The guy clearly didn't do his research but I don't think anybody in Minnesota is going to be calling for his head..

Furthermore, I don't know why we should care about this random guy from Minnesota. Who cares what he writes?

What he did is really a big deal, especially if that paper has any journalistic standards. There is a huge difference between Ruff turning down Pegula and turning down Golisano. The story is based on a false assumption and is misleading.

And it's not like the writer couldn't get the facts with one phone call. It's very sad these days no one expects news coverage to be accurate. These large dalies are supposed to be the last bastions of good journalism.

PTR

I'd be pretty broken hearted if we lose him. I guess I'm a softee when it comes to Ruff. When you say Sabres, I think Hasek, Miller, Ruff, Vanek and Myers, in that order. IMO, he is the main identity of the franchise and is quite successful as of late. Why change the identity of the team now?

Ted Nolan.

Archived