Favorite 'Taro Sez' sign

johnyvegas

With the recent talk of Taro in a different thread and then the vision of Darren Puppa last night, I'm inspired to share my all time favorite Taro Sez and see if y'all can share some of your favs.

So, as soon as I saw Darren Puppa step on the ice.. the very first thing that came to my mind was

"Our Puppa don't stink"

Can someone explain this Taro thing to me.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=438557

And from the Wikipedia article on Taro Tsujimoto:

"Taro quickly became an inside joke for Sabres' fans and staffers.[3] For years after the pick, fans would chant "We Want Taro" when games at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium became one-sided. In addition, for many years, banners would be hung from the balcony rail stating "Taro Says..." followed by a witty comment against an opponent or player for the opponent."

I think the idea actually originated with longtime Sabres' communications director Paul Wieland. In his terrific book of Sabres stories (Then Perreault Said to Rico...) he mentions another sign from the old days--- "Taro Sez: Dave Schultz is German for Game Misconduct."

There's a whole chapter on Taro in the book that elaborates on the story. Sabres' owner Seymour Knox was also not in on the joke and was anxiously expecting Taro's arrival at that year's training camp. Wieland and Imlach arranged for the concierge at the players hotel during camp to make a PA announcement requesting a Taro Tsujimoto come to the front desk... when Seymour saw a Japanese man walk through the lobby he chased after him expecting it was Taro. Only then did Punch and Wieland tell Mr. Knox the truth.

With the recent talk of Taro in a different thread and then the vision of Darren Puppa last night, I'm inspired to share my all time favorite Taro Sez and see if y'all can share some of your favs.

So, as soon as I saw Darren Puppa step on the ice.. the very first thing that came to my mind was

"Our Puppa don't stink"

I still remember seeing that in the Aud when I was a kid and laughing with my dad.

Oh Those signs need to make a comeback

In his book Wieland talks about his battles with Aud security after Taro Sez signs would often be taken down. In this day and age of political correctness, I don't think we're gonna see them come back. And if they did, they'd be so tame they would offend the tradition of the sign.

In his book Wieland talks about his battles with Aud security after Taro Sez signs would often be taken down. In this day and age of political correctness, I don't think we're gonna see them come back. And if they did, they'd be so tame they would offend the tradition of the sign.

Taro Sez: "Our Sausage will penetrate your five hole."

Taro Sez: "Philadelphia the team ends like Philadelphia the movie."

Taro Sez: "Philly defense gassed by Austrian Captain."

Taro Sez: "Our Sausage will penetrate your five hole."

Taro Sez: "Philadelphia the team ends like Philadelphia the movie."

Taro Sez: "Philly defense gassed by Austrian Captain."

I miss the days when you could get away with saying certain things and not have the PC Police try to run you out of town.

My favorite, "Hey Varada - Try the roast duck with the mango salsa."

(Sorry Vaclav! Loved you as a Sabre.)

I am not getting this one...seriously.

and these should definitely make a comeback.

How inappropriate could they get?

No one took down my "Smoke the Dubie" sign in the 2007 playoff opener. ("Dubie" - Wade Dubielewicz)

One Taro sign I remember was "PHIL HOUSLEY BEATS PHIL ADELPHIA"

I know there are better ones than this out there.

No one took down my "Smoke the Dubie" sign in the 2007 playoff opener. ("Dubie" - Wade Dubielewicz)

I completely forgot about that guy. He is now playing in Germany.

Now, for a Japanese national to actually play in the NHL, let's not forget Yutaka Fukufuji. Here's an interesting point about him on Wikipedia: "He is the first Japanese citizen to be drafted as a goaltender in the NHL and second Japanese national to be drafted." Gee, I wonder who the first one was???

Edit: It was Hiroyuki Muira, not Taro. (although, there is a footnote at the bottom of the page for Yutaka Fukufuji with regard to our beloved Taro).

It's a play on one of the first caveman/Geico commercials.

I miss the days when you could get away with saying certain things and not have the PC Police try to run you out of town.

I ###### miss those ###### days, too, you know? Any ###### gets his ass censored now. It's total ######.

There's a photo of one of the signs in Budd Bailey's book.

BARBER TAKES MORE DIVES THAN A CHICKEN KAMIKAZE PILOT

Today, this would bring protests from the chicken industry, surviving Japanese pilots, Barber Foods, the company that makes those frozen stuffed chicken breasts, and Derek Roy.

There's a photo of one of the signs in Budd Bailey's book.

BARBER TAKES MORE DIVES THAN A CHICKEN KAMIKAZE PILOT

Today, this would bring protests from the chicken industry, surviving Japanese pilots, Barber Foods, the company that makes those frozen stuffed chicken breasts, and Derek Roy.

What about the protests from alcoholics - pissed about you bringing up kamikazes.

They are trying to stay sober dammitt!!!

i remember these signs, although not all that well (i think their heyday was when i was a younger lad).

question (because i am too lazy to open another tab and go to wikipedia): when did the taro sez signs stop? i ask because my favorite sign ever was in the later 90s: "our peca is bigger than your peca."

i don't recall that being attributed to taro, though.

Archived