[OT] TV Help!

thesportsbuff

Hey guys, I've searched all over google for an answer to this problem and couldn't really find anything helpful specific to my issue. I'm wondering if maybe one of you have experienced or dealt with it before.

I have a 32" Sylvania TV, it's about three years old.

There appears to be a large dark spot towards the middle of my TV screen and another smaller one at the top of the screen. They are only noticeable when watching a program with a dark background or playing a video game with a dark background. For example -- while watching a hockey game or playing NHL 11, it doesn't bother me at all because of the white ice surface and generally bright, well-lit area. The spots aren't even visible. In fact, most TV programs (because not many have dark scenes) come in fine, so it's not totally unbearable. But if I'm watching a movie or something with night scenes, the dark spots are so much darker than the rest of the scene and I can hardly see the picture behind them.

I'm guessing the TV is shot and that repair isn't possible. But I've heard of "dead pixels" and stuff like that before that have been fixed by some do-it-yourself methods. I'm not sure if this spot falls under the "dead pixel" category or not -- it's a pretty sizeable area, probably 5" from top to bottom and 2.5-3.5" wide. When I think of "pixels" I think tiny, miniscule spots, so I have my doubts as to whether that's what this is or not.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated...

Looks like pressure on the screen. Did the bezel (the frame around the screen) get warped or bent.

Doesn't appear or feel like there's any warping.. but I did have to move the TV back and forth a few times from my apartment when I was living in Amherst, so it's possible it got a little banged up on one of the trips. I can't really remember when the problem the started, it's been quite some time though.

Archived