Probert's Brain

notwoz

A lot of the research points towards some sort of additive effect of the constant shock to the head. We're not even talking about actual concussions here, but a series of 5-10 thought to be uneventful collisions that may in fact cause just as much damage as one single Ulf Samuelsson elbow. If they can ever make that connection, there will be no doubt that the game itself can (for everyone reading, please not the difference between the words "can" and "will") lead to this kind of deterioration of the brain.

As for the comments about his death being more about the drug use than the head injuries. Isn't it possible that having those kind of brain issues could make you far more likely to turn to those questionable lifestyles and decisions? Yeah, you can never prove it, but it does have to make you wonder.

Brain injuries of this nature undoubtedly lead to drug and alcohol abuse - don't know whether its poor impulse control or self medication, but the link is well documented. But as Weave said, this guy's lack of impulse control and poor decision making existed since the womb. Did he fail to grow up because of a brain injury? Other than Probert and Theo Fleury, hockey players have a pretty good track record of being responsible and growing up whether they are enforcers or not. There are plenty of hockey players who sustain similar injuries but don't live the lifestyle Probert engaged in. Hell, look at our own Rob Ray! He took a beating over a lengthy NHL career and seems to be pretty well grounded.

It was the drugs and booze. Boxers get punched in the head all the time and there aren't hundreds of invalids walking around because of it. Sure, fighting probably didn't help any, but filling yourself with narcotics is what kills you at 45 when you were an athlete for most of your life.

Let's not misinterpret what this article says. It says that tests done Probert's brain tissue show he had the same degeneration going on that they also have seen in a number of pro football players. It doesn't say that it was the single thing that caused him to die. Anyone who abuses their body the way Probert did is going to have multiple health issues. By far, the drugs that he abused, his diet and general lifestyle were the likely cause of his heart failure. BUT, organ systems in the human body are all tied together. Fighting, hard checks to the head, etc. didn't help. They contributed to an overall decline in his general health. If he did not have any trauma to his brain, the effects of the drugs, etc. may not have been as pronounced (actually, in his case, it sure sounds like it wouldn't have mattered).

As for your comment about boxers, it is true that not every boxer winds up like Muhammed Ali in their old age. But, every person is different. Some individuals can absorb more injury to their head than others and still not show any adverse signs. The thing is, how do you know if you are more or less vulnerable to head trauma until you get conked on the noggin? Not a good way to find out.

These are the questions that confound medical researchers. We have proof that lung cancer is caused by smoking cigarettes. We also have cases of people who have smoked two packs a day for 40 years and live to be 90 with no cancer. How does that make sense? This is why research is so important.

These are the questions that confound medical researchers. We have proof that lung cancer is caused by smoking cigarettes. We also have cases of people who have smoked two packs a day for 40 years and live to be 90 with no cancer. How does that make sense? This is why research is so important.

That's an important example to make right there. I get the feeling that many people when reading something like this assume that there's a 100% guarantee that the cause will lead to the outcome in question. All any study can ever show is that you have an increased chance of developing that outcome.

I find his wife's comments curious:

“In my heart of hearts, I don’t believe fighting is what did this to Bob,” she said. “It was hockey — all the checking and hits, things like that.”

Interesting. Denial?

I think she is right. LaFontain didn't fight, and Lindrose's problems were from hits, as is Crosby's

I think she is right. LaFontain didn't fight, and Lindrose's problems were from hits, as is Crosby's

All three of the guys you mentioned took vicious head shots, some (Patty and Lindros) repeatedly. Some people are more naturally predisposed to concussions (or at least more susceptible) plus there is the cumulative effect (again, probably more evident in Patty and Lindros) that multiple concussions brings.

I just don't buy that in Probert's case it was "hockey and checking and all that" and not the nearly 250 NHL scraps he got in that caused his brain issues.

So when Sidney goes down, "a crisis is looming." What did this fine publication write about Cooke's hit on Savard?

Couldn't agree more.

Also, I've watched that hit on Crosby a million times, and sure, Steckel probably wants to give him a nudge, but clearly Crosby is turning INTO Steckel, and Steckel appears to be focused on the puck.

Conclusion - I'm sure Steckel wanted to give him a shove, or maybe even knock him down, but there is no way I'm buying that as a malicious headshot, guys like Cooke, Neil, and Richards have dished out in the past.

Fluke injury, it just so happens it was on Crosby, so everybody's got their panties in a bunch about it.

Fluke injury, it just so happens it was on Crosby, so everybody's got their panties in a bunch about it.

I really haven't seen much that suggests a lot of people have their panties in a bunch over this one. The only disturbing stuff is the list of comments of people praising Steckel for injuring Crosby. I don't care if it was Matt Cooke himself out longterm with a concussion. There's no place for those kind of comments in any scenario.

The face of the game is out longterm due to a concussion. Hopefully this is finally what is needed to wake the league up.

Archived