Quinn & The Connollys

inkman

I've heard brief snippets in various threads throughout Tim Connolly's career in Buffalo but no one has ever started a thread about it to my knowledge. Larry Quinn was never secretive about his connection to Tim Connolly's father.. The quote is as follows:

"The joke here is that Buffalo is not a small town, it's a big room," Quinn said. "I went to Canisius High School here in the city, with Tim Connolly's father and Tim Russert, and then went to Notre Dame.

Was this info just brushed off as coincidence? I've heard unconfirmed statements that their relationship was more than just acquaintances. Anywho now that the cat is out off the bag, is Tim Connolly's tenure with the Sabres more easily severed as the protector Quinny has been jettisoned.

Not sure how much it's been discussed but many are aware of the connection. It's the only reason Connolly got the 2 yr/ $9M contract.

Sorry, that's almost certainly a crock.

That dog don't hunt. No way can you say personal relationships had nothing to do with the contract. Whether it be thru negotiations or other of the like.

There's a big gap between the only reason and nothing to do with. I believe that PA's point was more that, while it may have factored in, they wouldn't have extended a player that they didn't believe in just because of a relationship with his father.

Sorry, that's almost certainly a crock.

Cool. I've got another poster in the "hyperbole patrol" squad. :thumbsup:

Gotta warn you, between your 'miserable superhero' gig and this; there won't me much time left for 'list writing.' But I'm sure someone can help you feed Wilbur.

Also, unfortunately, we don't have cookies.

I have mentioned it on numerous occasions on this forum. In fact, I think I even mentioned in very recently, but I don't remember which thread.

I, personally, believe that Connolly and Quinn's connection has much to do with why he has played here since 2003 and definitely why he has received 2 contracts since the end of the 2005-2006 season. I am not sure how much fact there is to link these two, but I am of the opinion that this is a major reason why Tim Connolly continues to be a member of the Buffalo Sabres. His play has not deserved the contracts he has gotten, so I cannot come up with anything else except for Darcy is a complete idiot or Larry Quinn is forcing this because he's buddies with Connolly's dad.

I have mentioned it on numerous occasions on this forum. In fact, I think I even mentioned in very recently, but I don't remember which thread.

I, personally, believe that Connolly and Quinn's connection has much to do with why he has played here since 2003 and definitely why he has received 2 contracts since the end of the 2005-2006 season. I am not sure how much fact there is to link these two, but I am of the opinion that this is a major reason why Tim Connolly continues to be a member of the Buffalo Sabres. His play has not deserved the contracts he has gotten, so I cannot come up with anything else except for Darcy is a complete idiot or Larry Quinn is forcing this because he's buddies with Connolly's dad.

Perhaps because Regier played along he got the 2 year extension (payola) as well?

I feel like the Connolly extension was bizarre and I either some outside influence played a part or Regier just made a really terrible decision. Moving forward, I guess I'm hoping that Quinn did have something to do with it because that at least would reflect better on the past, current and future GM that will be making a lot of important decisions in the coming months.

It reminds me of a signing made by another of my favorite teams that likes to torment me, the NY Mets who signed Luis Castillo, a light hitting 2nd basemen that relied on his speed but no longer had it because of injuries and age. Despite that they signed him to three years at well above market price and are still paying the price just like that Sabres with Timmy. I think signings like that and Connolly's are so strange that you have to hope that somebody has some compromising info on somebody or else it really calls into question the judgement of your GM.

Well, since Regier has stated he is not trading Connolly, what do you guys think the re-signing contract will be at?

I think he get's 5 mil for 3 more seasons.

Thoughts?

I also saw that quote on the Sabres blog over at TBN. While I do not agree with that sentiment, I can understand where Darcy's coming from in that this team is in a playoff chase and he does not want to upset the chemistry too much by trading Connolly away. Like I said, I do not agree with it, especially if you believe there is a decent return that can come from a trade of Connolly, but yes, I can understand that Darcy wouldn't want to trade him right now given where the Sabres are in the standings and only 2 points behind Carolina with 2 games in hand.

I cannot see the Sabres re-signing Connolly, though. He's taken enough money from the Sabres to where I don't believe letting him walk away without something coming back in return is a sin. In my mind, it's fine if he walks and becomes a UFA on July 1st, but that's my opinion.

I also saw that quote on the Sabres blog over at TBN. While I do not agree with that sentiment, I can understand where Darcy's coming from in that this team is in a playoff chase and he does not want to upset the chemistry too much by trading Connolly away. Like I said, I do not agree with it, especially if you believe there is a decent return that can come from a trade of Connolly, but yes, I can understand that Darcy wouldn't want to trade him right now given where the Sabres are in the standings and only 2 points behind Carolina with 2 games in hand.

I cannot see the Sabres re-signing Connolly, though. He's taken enough money from the Sabres to where I don't believe letting him walk away without something coming back in return is a sin. In my mind, it's fine if he walks and becomes a UFA on July 1st, but that's my opinion.

I'm hoping your right on the not re-signing part.

I still think it's a mistake not to trade him now, even for a 3rd rounder. But I will confess I understand the mentality of the thoughts you had on the chemistry and trying to make the playoffs.

Pegula stated that the playoffs this season were not the emphasis right now, but to build a cup contender, which is where I see a conflict of thoughts or implementation of a plan from what Pegula is stating and what Regier is doing, wouldn't you agree?

That says nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Dude, don't kill the messenger. I'm not saying it's even accurate, it's just a link referring to something in context that one could extrapolate that says Connolly's not getting traded. For all we know, he still could get traded, I certainly hope so.

While the reporting on TBN has gotten more and more shoddy, I still would say that their "reporting" might be more accurate than if I posted something from Eklund, would you not agree? Either way, I still want to see Connolly traded.

Connolly untouchable?

Feb 27, 2011 1:46:01 PM / Comment

At least one team has been rebuffed in its attempt to acquire Sabres center Tim Connolly, with a source saying GM Darcy Regier told the club he has no plans to move the pending unrestricted free agent.

"The players you get inquiries on are the players that will be unrestricted next year," Regier said Saturday. "A number of those players have moved, but again our focus is more on buying than it is on selling given where we are in the standings. We want to add to this team as opposed to lessen our chances."

---John Vogl

I understand he has no plans to move him, and I am hoping a deal has presented itself for that "buyers mentality" to shine forth for Regier to consider it. But, if the team that inquired offered a draft pick/prospect and that would have enhanced the team for the next 3 seasons beyond this playoff push, I am of the opinion it should be explored and not shutdown immediately. Maybe Regier heard the offer and didn't like it. Who knows really.

Tomorrow should be interesting, but if they don't move Connolly I can truly see a new contract coming, after all, he is a top 20 center in the league...... :rolleyes:

Archived