The underarm sweatstain on the Sabres' "road" uniform

Marvelo

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this patch that looks like a sweatstain? Maybe they want them to look like they're the hardest working team in hockey? Maybe they reinforce the material to make the uniforms last longer? Or to make it easier to swing their arms?

Anyway, I think it looks foolish.

could be just an oversight from the homes that were originally their thrids.. it looks kinda cool with the navy blue. it just didn't really translate as well on the away sweaters, but what are they gonna do? couldn't really make it any other color (besides keeping it white of course, but then they wouldn't match!)

but i do agree, it looks like a sweat stain sometimes lol

I think it is a different material that is intended to be better ventilation. Now that I think about it white would look better.

I guess I am not ready to nitpick the uni's yet. They don't look like an expansion team anymore and I am good with that.

I think it is a different material that is intended to be better ventilation. Now that I think about it white would look better.

I guess I am not ready to nitpick the uni's yet. They don't look like an expansion team anymore and I am good with that.

Just checked out my home #19 tim connolly jersey ( :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: ) and yeah, it's definitely a different material, and after taking a closer a look it's a much smaller area than i thought it took up -- so it's hardly a matter of just being there cosmetics. probably like you said for ventilation and to help let the sweat drop through rather than retaining it.

but i also agree. the jerseys are nice looking. maybe some aren't happy with the shade of blue or the stripe patterns on the whites, but they're 1000000000x better than the slug, which must have been the biggest failure of a logo re-branding in sports history (despite how many millions of jerseys they sold).

Can't we just leave the uni's alone now. I think they're close enough to the originals. They're not black and red. They're not slugs. Let's just be happy they look like the Sabres again.

True, but if they were to simply change the color of those patches to match the home/away jerseys one of these years, I doubt anyone would complain or even take much more note than just "oh, look at that, not pit stains." I don't even know if the league would consider that a true uniform change.

True, but if they were to simply change the color of those patches to match the home/away jerseys one of these years, I doubt anyone would complain or even take much more note than just "oh, look at that, not pit stains." I don't even know if the league would consider that a true uniform change.

Do you think Skip Krake is onto something though? It does give the impression the team is really sweating and working hard. No, I don't think it was put on there to fool people. Maybe it's there as a visual hint for the team to work hard, and a sort of psych-out for the opposition.

Every jersey in the league has that patch of fabric there. I'm not aware of any other team using a different color though.

Looking quickly at NHLUniforms.com I saw three others with a different underarm gusset color - Tampa's alternate "Bolts" jersey, Calgary's black & red version, and Colorado's "COLORADO" alternate all have black underarms. I didn't see any that were gray, but these cold be way off since they are not photos and are more drawings of the jerseys.

Archived