Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

i think he's doing a good job...way more energy than hamilton. it's just an unfamiliar voice.

and i miss gary thorne calling nhl games...i think he's great.

in general, i think there is way too much pissing and moaning about play-by-play guys anyway. we're so lucky here it seems like some folks have to hate everyone other than rj cause they're not rj.

I'm diggin' it. If you listen to him with that harness racing announcer in mind, it's great. He doesn't raise the pitch of his voice at all. When the game get's more exciting, he just talks faster, but the pitch and volume stay exactly the same. It's different if nothing else,.. and after 30 years of RJ and 13 years of this regime, that's all I'm looking for these days.

Anyone remember when Squiggy played the baseball announcer in "League of Their Own?" My wife says he sounds just like Squiggy.

That little stretch showed why he isn't that bad. I don't need the PBP guy to tell me when the game is getting exciting. Just call the game. That was good stuff.

He just has a really odd voice, and it's really not a great broadcaster's voice. I guess it would take a lot of getting used to. I don't mind the monotone play by play that much, it just gets really awkward when he gets excited and suddenly gets squeaky.

If his voice were more velvety I'd like it more.

I'm conflicted. I think his play by play is very good (minus an obsession with the word "delivery"), but the goal calls are pretty brutal. I don't see how he overcomes it. His voice just doesn't have "it."

Yep. No pun intended, but that's it.

That little stretch showed why he isn't that bad. I don't need the PBP guy to tell me when the game is getting exciting. Just call the game. That was good stuff.

The problem is that he is so monotone that his voice sort of gets lost in the sounds of the game ans becomes almost like white noise.

The problem is that he is so monotone that his voice sort of gets lost in the sounds of the game ans becomes almost like white noise.

That's what I like about it. I can just watch the game and not be yelled at by some other guy who's watching the game as well.

How the hell is there not a penalty there? What, Rivet's old and slower, so it's ok to haul him down on a breakaway? That was sh*t.

Haul him down? The D-man caught him, leaned on him and rivet fell down. So much for his agility training.

I'm as much of a home team guy as any one else, but that was a good no call.

Archived