(OT) Hydro Fracking

Tyrannustyrannus

I know it's been hockey heaven since Terry Pegula took over, but he is responsible for alot of polluted drinking water through his business and his political manuvering. I hope he can pour his millions into correcting this, if it's still possible.

It's a national problem that is being ignored by the politicians who get big money donations from the oil and gas industry. Rich people don't have to worry about clean drinking water. As long as the rich keep getting tax cuts and special favors from their political servants don't expect it to change anytime soon.

All this ecstasy feels a bit dirty. It's like we're selling our souls.

Feel free to jump off the train any time. If you want to rant and rave and put a tinfoil hat on while lobbying against the business activities of the owner of the team, you may want to do it on a different site.

Did someone really say fracking causes sinkholes in this thread? Dear god...

Studies by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Ground Water Protection Council (GWPC) have confirmed no direct link between hydraulic fracturing operations and groundwater contamination. In fact, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson recently testified that she was “…not aware of any proven case where the fracking process itself has affected water.”

Studies by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Ground Water Protection Council (GWPC) have confirmed no direct link between hydraulic fracturing operations and groundwater contamination. In fact, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson recently testified that she was “…not aware of any proven case where the fracking process itself has affected water.”

Just because she's not aware of one doesn't mean that one doesn't exist or won't in the future. I'm sure that those people in PA's water would have turned brown all on it's own. :wallbash:

Just because she's not aware of one doesn't mean that one doesn't exist or won't in the future. I'm sure that those people in PA's water would have turned brown all on it's own. :wallbash:

Right. And hydro fracking results in increased uranium levels of, well, anything. :rolleyes:

And creeks and streams don't dry up naturally, and the earth never changes on its own.

If you get your water from wells or any other non-public source, you might want to consider putting it through a filtration system. I wonder if this little group, with their Sony HandyCam, Youtube account, Photoshop LE and fax machine, are simply trying to get the big, evil, greedy, businesses to buy them a filter - instead of paying for it themselves.

Right. And hydro fracking results in increased uranium levels of, well, anything. :rolleyes:

And creeks and streams don't dry up naturally, and the earth never changes on its own.

If you get your water from wells or any other non-public source, you might want to consider putting it through a filtration system. I wonder if this little group, with their Sony HandyCam, Youtube account, Photoshop LE and fax machine, are simply trying to get the big, evil, greedy, businesses to buy them a filter - instead of paying for it themselves.

I just can't believe (actually it's not a surprise at all) that someone who comes from WNY, The land of Love Canal and Occidental and Bloody Run Creek, can still think like this. I'm all for big business making as much money as they can and creating as many jobs as they can, That's all good. But they have to clean up their messes when they make them.

The folks who believe fracking causes contaminated ground water, sinkholes, and halitosis are the ones making an assertion. The burden of proof is on them. This skeptic is not making any assertion either way, I just want to see proof.

Feel free to jump off the train any time. If you want to rant and rave and put a tinfoil hat on while lobbying against the business activities of the owner of the team, you may want to do it on a different site.

Did someone really say fracking causes sinkholes in this thread? Dear god...

predictable.

The folks who believe fracking causes contaminated ground water, sinkholes, and halitosis are the ones making an assertion. The burden of proof is on them. This skeptic is not making any assertion either way, I just want to see proof.

Agreed! I've seen no scientific evidence that hydro fracking is to blame for what's going on in these sensational youtube videos. People just assume it's bad because it has to do with extracting fossil fuels from the ground. I read one analysis of environmental impact which points to the fact that many wells in this area contain high levels of methane in their water without hydro fracking. The economic benefit to this region could be tremendous as new, more efficient techniques are developed. All this to say that we better at least have a clear understanding of all of this before making snap decisions and demonizing the practice.

It's predictable that people would think this message board is not the right place to take pot shots at the owner over his business dealings that have nothing at all to do with hockey?

Why yes, I guess that is predictable.

Since you mentioned it, I am going to take pot shots against a would be owner who has never owned a team in the NHL and consistently gets pwned by the NHL on a regular basis. Anyone see RIM's earnings recently? Absolutely dismal! It's about innovation, people. You can't rest on your laurels and iOS and Android have just prevented Jim Balsillie from ever becoming an NHL owner if the NHL had not already done it themselves as he's lost so much of his net worth because of Apple and Google. Yay for U.S. Innovation!!!!! AND for preventing a team in Hamilton!!! Thank you Apple and Google!!!

Since you mentioned it, I am going to take pot shots against a would be owner who has never owned a team in the NHL and consistently gets pwned by the NHL on a regular basis. Anyone see RIM's earnings recently? Absolutely dismal! It's about innovation, people. You can't rest on your laurels and iOS and Android have just prevented Jim Balsillie from ever becoming an NHL owner if the NHL had not already done it themselves as he's lost so much of his net worth because of Apple and Google. Yay for U.S. Innovation!!!!! AND for preventing a team in Hamilton!!! Thank you Apple and Google!!!

His stock price falling has something to do with getting team? He hasn't got a chance for a team because he's not at team player. Not being a team player may have affected both but his company stock price has nothing to do with it.

His stock price falling has something to do with getting team? He hasn't got a chance for a team because he's not at team player. Not being a team player may have affected both but his company stock price has nothing to do with it.

I think he meant that in the process of RIM taking a nosedive, Ballsilly's personal net worth likely took a concordant nose dive, and he may no longer be able to afford it.

It's predictable that people would think this message board is not the right place to take pot shots at the owner over his business dealings that have nothing at all to do with hockey?

Big Business is like a good drug dealer. They both get people to believe they have the answer, that they have their "customers" best interest at heart and what they are selling will make their life better.

I think he meant that in the process of RIM taking a nosedive, Ballsilly's personal net worth likely took a concordant nose dive, and he may no longer be able to afford it.

Correct. CEOs like Balsillie have most of their Net Worth tied to the stock of the company as they own a large portion of the equity in the company. If the stock price takes a nose dive, so does their personal net worth. I'm sure Balsillie's still pretty rich, but with RIM losing market share every day to Apple and Google, you have to wonder how much longer he has before the company is in complete ruin and rendering him unable to afford purchasing an NHL team.

By the way, I was not being too serious either, it was more sarcasm than anything else. Clearly, it did not resonate over the Message Board.

While I'm at it, I would ask this question. If one were to take pot shots regarding the business dealings of the owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, would they be taking pot shots at the Phoenix Coyotes as well since the Coyotes are currently owned by the NHL who has a member team in the Coyotes who is owned by the NHL whose member team is the Coyotes....? I like this infinite loop of pot shots with the Coyotes and the NHL.

I think if the owner who gives his team all the money in the world, ate small children, you and your ilk would be ok with that. It's not a pot shot if it's true. We have no ethics. Might and money is right.

I don't feel any-...wait...oops nope, that was just some gas. I'm good.

I sold my soul to the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills a long time ago. nothing more to give.

Did you use some of the mystery fracking chemicals to get that gas out?

If hydrofracking is truly a terrible practice, then people will abandon his products and his business will fail. Or maybe you believe people are too stupid to make choices for themselves. Maybe you feel liberty should be abandoned and the state shall deem what is for "the greater good." Or maybe you know you are in a small minority of people who oppose this practice and the only way to get what you want is to have the state force everyone to comply with your desires. For if you and the state say 2+2=5, who are free individuals to say otherwise?

Big Business is like a good drug dealer. They both get people to believe they have the answer, that they have their "customers" best interest at heart and what they are selling will make their life better.

I think that analysis is a bit backwards.

A good Drug Dealer is like Big Business.

Saying business emulates a drug dealer is kind of drastic.

I think if the owner who gives his team all the money in the world, ate small children, you and your ilk would be ok with that. It's not a pot shot if it's true. We have no ethics. Might and money is right.

Says the man with a vampire for his avatar.

There's really no point in arguing this with you. Like a previous poster stated, the burden of proof is on you. The fact that the sound scientific proof doesn't exist makes me wonder why you decided to bring it up at all, but to each their own i suppose.

Archived