Sabres Prospect To Play in Subway Super Series

Sterling Archer

Teams representing the WHL, OHL, QMJHL All-Stars will play two games each against Team Russia in preparation for the World Juniors. Also, serves as the final chance to assess talent as to who will be on Team Canada for the World Juniors.

Sabres Prospects involved:

Team WHL:

Mark Pysyk, Edmonton Oil Kings

Brayden McNabb, Kootenay Ice

WHL Article

Team OHL:

Marcus Foligno, Sudbury Wolves

Zack Kassian, Windsor Spitfires

OHL Article

Team QMJHL:

Jérome Gauthier-Leduc, Rimouski Océanic

QMJHL Article

Teams representing the WHL, OHL, QMJHL All-Stars will play two games each against Team Russia in preparation for the World Juniors. Also, serves as the final chance to assess talent as to who will be on Team Canada for the World Juniors.

Sabres Prospects involved:

Team WHL:

Mark Pysyk, Edmonton Oil Kings

Brayden McNabb, Kootenay Ice

WHL Article

Team OHL:

Marcus Foligno, Sudbury Wolves

Zack Kassian, Windsor Spitfires

OHL Article

Team QMJHL:

Jérome Gauthier-Leduc, Rimouski Océanic

QMJHL Article

Roy's excited about the five dollar footlong.

How dated is that joke? Could be 2007.

Marcus Foligno is off to a great start this season. Link.

If he keeps it up, we probably sign him after this season and add another local kid to the system. (We might do it anyway just for PR.)

I wouldn't call Marcus and Nick Foligno local boys just because they were born in Buffalo. They consider themselves Canadians and frankly I'm not willing to start a whole "Tim Kennedy Situation" with Marcus.

I wouldn't call Marcus and Nick Foligno local boys just because they were born in Buffalo. They consider themselves Canadians and frankly I'm not willing to start a whole "Tim Kennedy Situation" with Marcus.

So you're not willing to sign him because you think the fans might get too attached to him? Even if he's good?

The only lasting effect of the Tim Kennedy situation before this season is that it was more evidence that this team treats its players like crap. But that has nothing to do with where they're from, and everything to do with who's running the team.

So you're not willing to sign him because you think the fans might get too attached to him? Even if he's good?

The only lasting effect of the Tim Kennedy situation before this season is that it was more evidence that this team treats its players like crap. But that has nothing to do with where they're from, and everything to do with who's running the team.

For the one-millionth time, Tim Kennedy is a garbage player. He was waived twice this summer and no one thought to pick him up. No team in the league thought he was worth $1mm and only one team thinks he is worth $500k. People like you who continue to cry about how management treated him, refuse to look at the big picture. Tim Kennedy is a fringe player who will never be more than that. He is not worth 1m pesos. If you want Tim Kennedy so bad, I suggest you cough up $1m.

And just to add, nobody is very high on Marcus Foligno. He's going to be no where near what his brother is.

For the one-millionth time, Tim Kennedy is a garbage player. He was waived twice this summer and no one thought to pick him up. No team in the league thought he was worth $1mm and only one team thinks he is worth $500k. People like you who continue to cry about how management treated him, refuse to look at the big picture. Tim Kennedy is a fringe player who will never be more than that. He is not worth 1m pesos. If you want Tim Kennedy so bad, I suggest you cough up $1m.

I'm glad you brought up the "big picture." Let's talk about that.

Do you think players in the NHL are dying to come play for Buffalo? Do you think this organization has a good reputation? And how did the Kennedy situation help?

This is the same franchise that got Chris Drury to agree to a contract extension and then never returned his calls about it. And then acted like he lied to them after he signed elsewhere. They didn't even want to talk to Briere about a contract. They passed on a chance to keep Brian Campbell for a reasonable price (far less than what he got from Chicago). They suspended Teppo Numminen for a heart issue, which I'm sure looks great if you're a player thinking of signing here. Then they became the first team in the NHL to cut a player because he got slightly more in arbitration than they offered.

Go back a little further and you have BS like the Peca disaster, Hasek leaving, and even the Sabres running Pat LaFontaine out of town. This team's reputation is garbage around the league. Would you want to come here if you were a player?

But keep pretending this is all about Tim Kennedy, and that somehow *that* is the big picture. Hilarious.

And just to add, nobody is very high on Marcus Foligno. He's going to be no where near what his brother is.

"Nobody" must include the people who put together the WHL all-star team. Oh, and the Sabres scouts who picked him in the fourth round.

But I'm sure you've seen him play dozens of times and are clearly in a position to declare that he'll be "no where" close to as good as his brother is.

I didn't take you for a lumberjack Bucky Gleason with an axe to grind.

Peca wanted a lot of money. Money that he was not worth.

Hasek wanted a cup. A cup that he would never win in Buffalo.

Pat Lafontaine was one concussion away from Christopher Reeves.

And that Teppo thing, who even cares about that.

Campbell wanted $5m, maybe more. Remember how he played during the finals.

And what do you know about Foligno that I don't. He's a fourth line prospect. He's got some sandpaper but is a bit of a liability on the defensive side. He's a part of Darcy's reaction to the fact that this team has repeatedly been called soft. He's currently in his fourth year of Jrs. so he's comfortable and going to play well.

Also, do you really care to call into question what I know about anything? I mean I'm all for an internet pissing match but I believe I've touched a nerve here.

And when you are going to start an argument about prospects, you may want to think twice before bringing Sabres' scouts into the mix, as they have been continually proven to be dead on. You also might want to rethink bringing in information that I introduced to the situation and you probably didn't know about until then.

I'm glad you brought up the "big picture." Let's talk about that.

Do you think players in the NHL are dying to come play for Buffalo? Do you think this organization has a good reputation? And how did the Kennedy situation help?

This is the same franchise that got Chris Drury to agree to a contract extension and then never returned his calls about it. And then acted like he lied to them after he signed elsewhere. They didn't even want to talk to Briere about a contract. They passed on a chance to keep Brian Campbell for a reasonable price (far less than what he got from Chicago). They suspended Teppo Numminen for a heart issue, which I'm sure looks great if you're a player thinking of signing here. Then they became the first team in the NHL to cut a player because he got slightly more in arbitration than they offered.

Go back a little further and you have BS like the Peca disaster, Hasek leaving, and even the Sabres running Pat LaFontaine out of town. This team's reputation is garbage around the league. Would you want to come here if you were a player?

But keep pretending this is all about Tim Kennedy, and that somehow *that* is the big picture. Hilarious.

Well, your tone is a bit caustic, but I largely agree that the string of incidents have contributed towards the Sabres having a lousy reputation. I do think though that (i) most of the teams in the NHL would've done the same thing with Teppo, since the choice was either pay him $2.3MM (or whatever his contract was -- I think that's about right) or not pay it and (ii) the city has more to do with the undesirability than those incidents.

I think Soupy would be the best defenseman on the team if he were a Sabre right now (although that's because Myers is still in a rut). He was and is well worth the $5MM per year they could've signed him for.

Just because a player doesn't fit your system, doesn't make him a garbage player.

Kennedy was the last player to make Buffalo's roster last year. He was the last cut for the Rangers.

No reason to be down on Marcus Foligno, either. He's off to a great start.

I didn't take you for a lumberjack Bucky Gleason with an axe to grind.

Hilarious.

Peca wanted a lot of money. Money that he was not worth.

Yes, definitely good that we didn't have him for that 2001 playoff run. It's not like we were one win away from the Conference Finals with the best goalie in the world that year or anything.

Hasek wanted a cup. A cup that he would never win in Buffalo.

Gee, I wonder why. See Peca above.

Pat Lafontaine was one concussion away from Christopher Reeves.

Actually, they just didn't want to pay him.

And that Teppo thing, who even cares about that.

Any player thinking about signing here would.

Key words: "The Finals." We've been there twice in 40 years.

And what do you know about Foligno that I don't.

I know it's WAY too soon to write him off. And that it's a really stupid idea not to sign him because he was born in Buffalo and you don't want "another Tim Kennedy situation."

He's a fourth line prospect. He's got some sandpaper but is a bit of a liability on the defensive side. He's a part of Darcy's reaction to the fact that this team has repeatedly been called soft. He's currently in his fourth year of Jrs. so he's comfortable and going to play well.

Well, he's 19 years old, so junior hockey is exactly where he's supposed to be. That's where most 19 year olds are.

Also, do you really care to call into question what I know about anything?

Obviously I do.

I mean I'm all for an internet pissing match but I believe I've touched a nerve here.

Indeed. Your ignorance was so astonishing that I couldn't resist picking it apart.

And when you are going to start an argument about prospects, you may want to think twice before bringing Sabres' scouts into the mix, as they have been continually proven to be dead on.

We have a guy who won the Calder Trophy last year and two guys who won the AHL Rookie of the Year the last two years. Maybe the Sabres scouts know more than you think.

You also might want to rethink bringing in information that I introduced to the situation and you probably didn't know about until then.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say with this train wreck of a sentence. Nice strong finish there.

Meh.

I'm gonna just pick a few things and move on.

I never said we shouldn't sign Foligno. I merely made a statement that I wouldn't want that sort of situation where we start falling head over heels for a below-average player because he's "a local boy."

What does the Sabres going to the Finals twice in team history have to do with Brian Campbell going to the Finals with the 'Hawks?

And so what if the Meyers won the Calder Cup. And who cares about AHL MVPs.

Myers was a can't miss. Gerbe is our 13th forward after being named AHL MVP 2 years ago.

What about Zagrapan, Mike Funk, Jiri Novotny, Artem Kryukov, Branislav Fabry, and Philip Gogulla? A bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks who at this point look like they aren't going to have NHL careers.

And so what if the Meyers won the Calder Cup. And who cares about AHL MVPs.

Myers won the Calder Trophy. That's for NHL rookie of the year.

Myers was a can't miss. Gerbe is our 13th forward after being named AHL MVP 2 years ago.

I don't know if anyone drafted 12th overall is "can't miss."

Also, Gerbe never won AHL MVP. He won AHL Rookie of the Year, just like Tyler Ennis.

What about Zagrapan, Mike Funk, Jiri Novotny, Artem Kryukov, Branislav Fabry, and Philip Gogulla? A bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks who at this point look like they aren't going to have NHL careers.

This just in: Not everyone a team drafts makes the NHL. Four of our six first round picks from 2003 through 2008 are on the team right now: Vanek, Stafford, Ennis, Myers.

And even if the Sabres have missed on some first round picks, they've found talent later in the draft: Roy (2nd round), Pominville (2nd), Sekera (3rd), Butler (4th), Gerbe (5th), Kaleta (6th), Gaustad (7th). Enroth, Weber, Shiestel, and Brennan are all recent 2nd round picks with decent chances to be regular NHL players as well.

And, of course, our Vezina winner and team MVP was a 5th round pick.

Myers won the Calder Trophy. That's for NHL rookie of the year.

I don't know if anyone drafted 12th overall is "can't miss."

Also, Gerbe never won AHL MVP. He won AHL Rookie of the Year, just like Tyler Ennis.

This just in: Not everyone a team drafts makes the NHL. Four of our six first round picks from 2003 through 2008 are on the team right now: Vanek, Stafford, Ennis, Myers.

And even if the Sabres have missed on some first round picks, they've found talent later in the draft: Roy (2nd round), Pominville (2nd), Sekera (3rd), Butler (4th), Gerbe (5th), Kaleta (6th), Gaustad (7th). Enroth, Weber, Shiestel, and Brennan are all recent 2nd round picks with decent chances to be regular NHL players as well.

And, of course, our Vezina winner and team MVP was a 5th round pick.

Meh.

AHL MVP. ROY. Same damn thing.

You're an angry person.

Archived