Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

Don't forget over the last 2 decades all the teams that were founded/transplanted after Buffalo who have one.

Anaheim, Carolina, Dallas, New jersey, Colorado, Calgary....Ottawa and Florida have been there....just waiting on a San Jose/ Atlanta final next year.

Impossible. SanJose won't be able to play Winnipeg in the finals next year - assume they're in the west

Boston's beating Tampa 6-3 end of 2nd period... I will kill myself if Boston makes the finals. As I look at their roster, I see very little talent.

They will, so please don't kill yourself.

More than having high end talent, they have deep talent.....for example Savard and Bergeron are out at center and they still have Kreji, Peverly, Seguin, Campbell, Kelly, and probably Marchand and Ryder could slide to center in a pinch.

And actually..their forwards don't hit as much as you would think because they usually play a very positional game.

And if it wasn't for 2 little bombs, you'd be eating sushi after getting cash out of an ATM from any one of a multiple of banks run by the Germans.

Germany was already defeated. And sushi is pretty good.

Every match-up is different. Does San Jose beat Nashville? We'll never know...but I like Nashville in that match-up that never happens too.

Germany was already defeated. And sushi is pretty good.

Every match-up is different. Does San Jose beat Nashville? We'll never know...but I like Nashville in that match-up that never happens too.

These are the kind of daydreams 9 year old boys have. In the real world, the Sabres are seen as either not talented enough, or choke artists.

How far away are they if they lose to a team who goes on to get swept by a team who goes on to lose to a team that is an expansion franchise run by a 2nd year GM who may just win their 2nd Cup led by a grey goalie who the Sabres gave up on a decade ago?

Now back to your regular programing.

These are the kind of daydreams 9 year old boys have. In the real world, the Sabres are seen as either not talented enough, or choke artists.

How far away are they if they lose to a team who goes on to get swept by a team who goes on to lose to a team that is an expansion franchise run by a 2nd year GM who may just win their 2nd Cup led by a grey goalie who the Sabres gave up on a decade ago?

Now back to your regular programing.

match-ups are all sports are.....

so what makes 9 year old daydreams less significant than your strained analogies, oh resident of the "real world"? <_<

How far away are they if they lose to a team who goes on to get swept by a team who goes on to lose to a team that is an expansion franchise run by a 2nd year GM who may just win their 2nd Cup led by a grey goalie who the Sabres gave up on a decade ago?Now back to your regular programing.

You are smart enough to know that this is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that the Sabres aren't that far away.

I guarantee that you enjoy showing everyone how smart you think you are when you structure every one of your arguments so that you can maintain the persona you enjoy.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that the Sabres aren't that far away.I guarantee that you enjoy showing everyone how smart you think you are when you structure every one of your arguments so that you can maintain the persona you enjoy.

I'm not convinced that they are *that* close. I think they need to upgrade at least 4 players, probably 5 before they are a Cup contender.

I agree with Dwight. We lost to a team that lost to a team that has a journeyman in net. We aren't that close. And I don't think it was about the matchup. IMO the result would have been similar regardless of the EC team we played.

As for his persona, I don't know about you but I am jealous. I think you are too and won't admit it. :P :D

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that the Sabres aren't that far away.

I guarantee that you enjoy showing everyone how smart you think you are when you structure every one of your arguments so that you can maintain the persona you enjoy.

The irrelevance is used to battle irrelevance.

The Sabres ARE far away. Status quo is in place, and the first major chance to make real changes and sell off in a sellers market at the deadline has come and gone. Instead of holding our 2nd, and receiving a 2nd for Connolly and Montador, and possibly exploring the option of a 1st and 3rd for Stafford like Toronto turned down for MaCarthur along with your lone chance to dump overpriced players like Pominville and Hecht....we added another $4 million "Sabre-type" who shows up in spurts and disappered when it mattered, are going to let Montador and Connolly walk for nothing, probably overpay a continually not-ready-for-prime-time-player in Stafford, and go into camp with a gimp Pominville and multiple concussed Hecht.

Was it worth it for that warm and fuzzy run, deep into the first round? I love Pegula's cash, but so far his emotions have probably already set the team back another 2 years.

As far as persona goes......this team has made it pretty easy to develop over the past 5 years. It's a no win on a fan board. You discuss things as if you were at a really long bar. The only real control I have over this team is my wallet. The Sabres don't really need my money now, which is good for the security of the franchise.

If I was truly smart, I'd leverage your need to try and identify my m/o and the Drane brand name amongst the locals and media.....but instead i offer my pearls of wisdom....free of charge.

The irrelevance is used to battle irrelevance.

The Sabres ARE far away. Status quo is in place, and the first major chance to make real changes and sell off in a sellers market at the deadline has come and gone. Instead of holding our 2nd, and receiving a 2nd for Connolly and Montador, and possibly exploring the option of a 1st and 3rd for Stafford like Toronto turned down for MaCarthur along with your lone chance to dump overpriced players like Pominville and Hecht....we added another $4 million "Sabre-type" who shows up in spurts and disappered when it mattered, are going to let Montador and Connolly walk for nothing, probably overpay a continually not-ready-for-prime-time-player in Stafford, and go into camp with a gimp Pominville and multiple concussed Hecht.

Was it worth it for that warm and fuzzy run, deep into the first round? I love Pegula's cash, but so far his emotions have probably already set the team back another 2 years.

As far as persona goes......this team has made it pretty easy to develop over the past 5 years. It's a no win on a fan board. You discuss things as if you were at a really long bar. The only real control I have over this team is my wallet. The Sabres don't really need my money now, which is good for the security of the franchise.

If I was truly smart, I'd leverage your need to try and identify my m/o and the Drane brand name amongst the locals and media.....but instead i offer my pearls of wisdom....free of charge.

And you refute my argument with an argument that cannot be disproved except over time. I have some reservations, but I prefer to look at the future with hope and choose to explain trade deadline decisions with the hope that this franchise realizes they do not need anymore draft choices and or prospects. What this team needs cannot be acquired with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks in a lean draft year.

Just keep your pearls offa me. I don't play dat way.

And you refute my argument with an argument that cannot be disproved except over time. I have some reservations, but I prefer to look at the future with hope and choose to explain trade deadline decisions with the hope that this franchise realizes they do not need anymore draft choices and or prospects. What this team needs cannot be acquired with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks in a lean draft year.

But you see....I have made my points over the years, that have come to fruition. I was actually bullish on this team as they made their run in the '05-'06 year. The rules changes suddenly made this team relevant. There were guys like Drury, Briere, Dumont, McKee, Grier in his prime....who were leaders that could be treated like peers by the coaching staff instead of underlings. Guys that had talent, grit, and weren't afraid to speak their mind and could back it up on the ice.....all supplemented by exhuberant youth from guys like Campbell, Roy and Pominville. But a funny thing happened over the next 2 offseasons. Anyone that could actually play a playoff style of hockey and had both the skill and leadership qualities to challenge CoachForLife, were sent on their way.

The front office and coaching staff does not jive with me. Maybe....just maybe Lindy could win a cup at some point, but his obvious mismanagement of his goaltending and his fancying himself as a teacher are non starters. As long as Miller plays 70 games a year, there is no way they get a cup. Maybe with Enroth, things will change...but again, that is lucking into something working...not identifying the need for a change.

Darcy is passive, he admits it. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race, but usually it lands you in the middle of the pack as men with nads either grab the glory or crash and burn. If you fear crashing and burning, you can't be rewarded in a timely manner. I'd trust Darcy to put my parents into retirement annuities....not to win me a championship.

And as far as the draft picks go.....????? There were some of us begging for the team to sell. I myself said the team would be lucky to get in the playoffs, or have no chance at any real run. Darcy himself said that there were 5 sellers and everyone else was a buyer or steady. That is the definition of a seller's market where you can get abnormal returns or move an albatross because of another team's "thinking positive" frenzy. That was a once in a decade sort of chance to make up for the boatload of crappy contracts and dead weight, and clear yourself for a real run in free agency or the trade market the next few years. You don't think having a 1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3 this year can't fetch you a few good veterans in the trade market or get you to a point in thedraft where you get some impact players? That is what your draft cupboard would look like and the only thing missing from your roster would be an overpaid Boyes and the rights to overpay Stafford.

But that's ok. Another generation of youngsters who don't know any better put together a spiriting effort the last few months of the season, but instead of celebrating blowing a trip to the Stanley Cup in the 3rd period with a lead, we have relegated ourselves to celebrate blowing a trip to the 2nd round. Boy....times really are a changin for the better.

It's the same machine.....and Pegula has told us they ain't goin nowhere. Well.....take a guess what else ain't goin nowhere? My realistic, analytic, experienced, trying to look smart persona. Now let me borrow one of Derek Roy's 62 mirrors so I can see how I look.

Flyers sign 6 foot 7 goalie Nico Hovinen.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94155

That CAN'T be the answer they're looking for... stats are mediocre at best, and i can't imagine anyone with myers-like height playing too well in net. Down low he'll be a wall, but i cant imagine the height will help him up high.

But you see....I have made my points over the years, that have come to fruition. I was actually bullish on this team as they made their run in the '05-'06 year. The rules changes suddenly made this team relevant. There were guys like Drury, Briere, Dumont, McKee, Grier in his prime....who were leaders that could be treated like peers by the coaching staff instead of underlings. Guys that had talent, grit, and weren't afraid to speak their mind and could back it up on the ice.....all supplemented by exhuberant youth from guys like Campbell, Roy and Pominville. But a funny thing happened over the next 2 offseasons. Anyone that could actually play a playoff style of hockey and had both the skill and leadership qualities to challenge CoachForLife, were sent on their way.

The front office and coaching staff does not jive with me. Maybe....just maybe Lindy could win a cup at some point, but his obvious mismanagement of his goaltending and his fancying himself as a teacher are non starters. As long as Miller plays 70 games a year, there is no way they get a cup. Maybe with Enroth, things will change...but again, that is lucking into something working...not identifying the need for a change.

Darcy is passive, he admits it. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race, but usually it lands you in the middle of the pack as men with nads either grab the glory or crash and burn. If you fear crashing and burning, you can't be rewarded in a timely manner. I'd trust Darcy to put my parents into retirement annuities....not to win me a championship.

And as far as the draft picks go.....????? There were some of us begging for the team to sell. I myself said the team would be lucky to get in the playoffs, or have no chance at any real run. Darcy himself said that there were 5 sellers and everyone else was a buyer or steady. That is the definition of a seller's market where you can get abnormal returns or move an albatross because of another team's "thinking positive" frenzy. That was a once in a decade sort of chance to make up for the boatload of crappy contracts and dead weight, and clear yourself for a real run in free agency or the trade market the next few years. You don't think having a 1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3 this year can't fetch you a few good veterans in the trade market or get you to a point in thedraft where you get some impact players? That is what your draft cupboard would look like and the only thing missing from your roster would be an overpaid Boyes and the rights to overpay Stafford.

But that's ok. Another generation of youngsters who don't know any better put together a spiriting effort the last few months of the season, but instead of celebrating blowing a trip to the Stanley Cup in the 3rd period with a lead, we have relegated ourselves to celebrate blowing a trip to the 2nd round. Boy....times really are a changin for the better.

It's the same machine.....and Pegula has told us they ain't goin nowhere. Well.....take a guess what else ain't goin nowhere? My realistic, analytic, experienced, trying to look smart persona. Now let me borrow one of Derek Roy's 62 mirrors so I can see how I look.

And fans in 25 other cities can say the same thing, probably in less words. When the only measure of success is winning the Cup, negativity and "I told you so," is the bet to make.

For the record, I joined this board as extremely anti-management and still have doubts about Darcy though I am a fan of Lindy. I just see a brighter future and have to give them kudos for a couple of drafts that have potential to be history making.

Betting the field against a team (in this case the Sabres) is not terribly interesting in any sport.

But as long as a 9 year old's can do it...why does Tampa beat Buffalo in a 7 game Series?

Does Tampa beat Philly in a 7 game series too?

And fans in 25 other cities can say the same thing, probably in less words. When the only measure of success is winning the Cup, negativity and "I told you so," is the bet to make.

For the record, I joined this board as extremely anti-management and still have doubts about Darcy though I am a fan of Lindy. I just see a brighter future and have to give them kudos for a couple of drafts that have potential to be history making.

First you tell me my point isn't valid because it will take time to play out.....then when I show you some of the things in the past I have said it becomes "I told you so!"

When there are such obvious weakest links like Lindy's goaltending management and lack of ANYONE on this team that can speak to him man-to-man, and Darcy's lack of courage to take enough risk to get the reward....it is an easy call to make. The Sabres are pretty much playing for 5th to 20th place every year. That's nice if you are at Harvard Law.

You will be right for the next 16 years.......if winning a Cup is the only measure, then I will never be happy. On average it will take the average coach and GM 30 years to win a Cup. Darcy and Lindy are pretty much halfway there, and from the looks of it they will get their full allotment of time to do so.

Maybe I'll log off until 2027 and then come back and say "I told you so!"

Betting the field against a team (in this case the Sabres) is not terribly interesting in any sport.

But as long as a 9 year old's can do it...why does Tampa beat Buffalo in a 7 game Series?

Does Tampa beat Philly in a 7 game series too?

I also bet against the Sabres when they were 3/2 favorites to win the Cup in '07. I think I was being called names for saying they didn't have the heart and was selling my tickets against Ottawa for 4x face value.

It also isn't interesting betting your own horse when you know it is short and can't win.

First you tell me my point isn't valid because it will take time to play out.....then when I show you some of the things in the past I have said it becomes "I told you so!"

When there are such obvious weakest links like Lindy's goaltending management and lack of ANYONE on this team that can speak to him man-to-man, and Darcy's lack of courage to take enough risk to get the reward....it is an easy call to make. The Sabres are pretty much playing for 5th to 20th place every year. That's nice if you are at Harvard Law.

You will be right for the next 16 years.......if winning a Cup is the only measure, then I will never be happy. On average it will take the average coach and GM 30 years to win a Cup. Darcy and Lindy are pretty much halfway there, and from the looks of it they will get their full allotment of time to do so.

Maybe I'll log off until 2027 and then come back and say "I told you so!"

Ah, and there you have the final piece of the "I told you so" argument. Always throw in that "blind squirrel" argument just in case you turn out to be wrong.

Since you are a betting man, what odds do I get if I take every year before 2027?

I also bet against the Sabres when they were 3/2 favorites to win the Cup in '07. I think I was being called names for saying they didn't have the heart and was selling my tickets against Ottawa for 4x face value.

I'm not responsible for what people call you. Not now or in the past.

The Sabres were never over odds to win the Cup.

It also isn't interesting betting your own horse when you know it is short and can't win.

So this should be easy. Help me out like a 9 year old. What is so special about Tampa?

Ah, and there you have the final piece of the "I told you so" argument. Always throw in that "blind squirrel" argument just in case you turn out to be wrong.

Since you are a betting man, what odds do I get if I take every year before 2027?

Blind squirrel....I've heard that one before. It's my personal favorite. I'm sure some of the lurkers here could chime in who have called me that in the past.

Blind squirrel, like when I said Bernier was going to get a nice contract and Vancouver would be a probable landing spot since they already identified Buffalo doesn't know how to use a big man in their lineup? Pyatt, Bernier, Torres....67% and a run to the cup ain't bad. Stafford would probably be on their radar this year if they weren't preoccupied with travel plans and making room for the other 12 or so quality players on their roster.

If Darcy and Lindy were here the next 15 years set in stone, I'd give you 2/1 all day. That's saying they're average.

You want 10/1 on the next 3 years? Heck, I called my friend to say I'd be willing to insure FWS when they ran their promotion next year.

I'm not responsible for what people call you. Not now or in the past.

The Sabres were never over odds to win the Cup.

So this should be easy. Help me out like a 9 year old. What is so special about Tampa?

I didn't say they were odds on....they were 3/2, Ottawa was 4/1 and the guys in the west were similar.

I don't care about Tampa....I wasn't calling you a 9 year old....I think that playing the "ref game", or "If only we did this" 4 rounds before it matters and projecting it out 2 months is worthless. If only Sabres opponents didn't play their backup goalies 40% of the time this year....maybe the Sabres don't even sniff the playoffs. We can play that game all day.

I think it is a sign that Tampa, an expansion team....has built from scratch, won a cup, cycled back to a mediocre team, then hired a young GM who is a confirmed leader only to reach at or near the top of the league again in a few years with a Sabres cast-off geriatric goalie.....all during GMforLife and CoachForLife's tenure here.

I was thrilled that Pegula got hold of the team as it was deep pockets and a sign that meaningful change could happen without any politics or $$ being held over our heads. That fuzzy feeling lasted a month. He may learn what it is really going to take to get this done, but again, his first few tests he goes and hands out lifetime contracts, then trades for another overpriced floater when ignoring the best sellers market in years. I WANT to believe....but I refuse to get all giddy and celebrate what was basically the end of an ice-cream headache as the team went from playing pathetic to sneaking in the playoffs for a customary early exit.

Archived