OT - Mike Peca Throws down the gauntlet as new TSN panelist

darksabre

and gets his pee-pee slapped by Calgary President Ken King.

"The amount of criticism aimed at NHL players, coaches and teams on a daily basis is staggering when you take all forms of media into account.

We imagine a guy like Ken King, president of the Calgary Flames, sees his franchise as a fortress being constantly barraged by arrows and catapulted boulders. When the moment calls for it, he must climb to the turret and begin firing back ... while his general manager Darryl Sutter is busy negotiating with another castle to overpay for a malfunctioning cannon. (See? Criticism.)

On Tuesday, defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, a $33 million investment for the King and the Flames, saw his reputation tarnished by former NHL pest Michael Peca, now a panelist for TSN. We'll get into his full comments in a moment, but the Cliff's Notes version is that Peca felt Bouwmeester is all skate, no toughness, and a turnover machine that doesn't have an upside."

read the rest:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Peca-vs-Bouwmeester-reveals-why-ex-pros-are-bor?urn=nhl-273675&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I feel like we definitely had similar discussions around here during the offseason. With Peca and Barnaby already working in the media, what ex-Sabre could be next?

I didn't realize that there was any bad blood between these two. I guess TSN can expect more of these types of comments coming from ex-players who have or had a beef with the skills of another player that they didn't care for too much. I think making comments of a more personal nature as to evaluating actual talent and ability here is the defining mark of a sports journalist/analyst as opposed to an opinion columnist which is what Peca sounds more like. Airing personal dislikes should not be happening.

I think Peca may have been drinking a bit during the day as he also said Ottawa will win the Northeast, with Barnaby and Dreger laughing at Peca. For what it's worth, Barnaby picked Buffalo.

But, i don't see whats wrong with what Peca said. He gets paid to give his opinion on hockey matters. If he comes wrong after time, he'll get fired. But, speak your opinion and what you think, and thats what he gets paid for.

Peca called JayBo soft, but i guess the entire Flames organization is soft too.

I didn't realize that there was any bad blood between these two. I guess TSN can expect more of these types of comments coming from ex-players who have or had a beef with the skills of another player that they didn't care for too much. I think making comments of a more personal nature as to evaluating actual talent and ability here is the defining mark of a sports journalist/analyst as opposed to an opinion columnist which is what Peca sounds more like. Airing personal dislikes should not be happening.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this, but I don't think this is what Peca did. He criticized JB's hockey skills, not personal qualities, and he didn't say anything about any personal beefs he may or may not have had with JB.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this, but I don't think this is what Peca did. He criticized JB's hockey skills, not personal qualities, and he didn't say anything about any personal beefs he may or may not have had with JB.

Your right. looking back at the article you correctly point out it was a critique of his on ice skills as opposed to any kind of personal issue. I stand corrected. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Teams can go out and get an injection of youth or try to bring in some heart in the off season so maybe some of these athletes can go out and get a thicker skin transplant. They're paid well enough. Peca said nothing wrong. The only reason the other panelists don't speak in the same manner is that they don't want their precious access to certain players and teams cut off. Can't say I blame them,its how they make their living.

The dude speaks the truth. If Bouwmeester isn't one of the most over rated defensemen in the league than I am not a Tim Connolly fan.

I'm confused by this. Because I'm pretty sure no one is a fan of Tim Connolly. But JayBo is mad overrated. Is this like one of those SAT logical reasoning questioning that the answer is (E Can not be determined). I'm lost.

Also, Ken King is a punk.

I'm confused by this. Because I'm pretty sure no one is a fan of Tim Connolly. But JayBo is mad overrated. Is this like one of those SAT logical reasoning questioning that the answer is (E Can not be determined). I'm lost.

I am. A Connolly fan that is. On the J Bo thing,for Pete's sake, Peca said his opinion without getting vulgar or personal. That's his job and it's refreshing. He hit a nerve I think because he has some weight behind his opinion, having actually played against him.

I think Peca may have been drinking a bit during the day as he also said Ottawa will win the Northeast, with Barnaby and Dreger laughing at Peca. For what it's worth, Barnaby picked Buffalo.

But, i don't see whats wrong with what Peca said. He gets paid to give his opinion on hockey matters. If he comes wrong after time, he'll get fired. But, speak your opinion and what you think, and thats what he gets paid for.

Peca called JayBo soft, but i guess the entire Flames organization is soft too.

Compared to the East I've always seen most of the WC soft. As I say, comparatively.

Good luck to Peca, his career fell apart slowly and he probably still wants to make a name for himself. Probably being called an NHL pest was a bit of a sting for a former captain.

You must be new here :thumbsup:

Archived