Rookie camp

spndnchz

Rookie camp

37 players are going.

2010-11 ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER # FORWARD POS HT WT 72 Adam, Luke C 6-2 203 45 Boychuk, Riley LW 6-4 205 24 Byron, Paul C 5-9 144 63 Ennis, Tyler C 5-9 146 82 Foligno, Marcus C/LW 6-2 200 42 Gerbe, Nathan LW 5-5 160 41 Henley, Cedrick LW 6-5 195 54 Kassian, Zack RW 6-3 210 83 Lagace, Jacob LW 5-11 190 70 Legault, Maxime RW 6-2 195 12 Mancari, Mark RW 6-3 225 46 McCauley, Dennis 6-3 225 59 Roloff, Brian C 5-10 180 15 Schutz, Felix C 5-11 187 23 Shipley, Steven C 6-2 205 23 Stuart, Colin LW 6-2 200 32 Sundher, Kevin C 6-0 192 49 Sutch, Gregg RW 6-2 193 78 Tropp, Corey RW 6-0 185 65 Turnbull, Travis C 6-0 193 71 Whitmore, Derek LW 5-11 190 DEFENSEMEN 70 Biega, Alex D 5-10 191 33 Brennan, TJ D 6-0 204 38 Conboy, Tim D 6-2 210 62 Crawford, Nick D 6-1 188 64 Fienhage, Corey D 6-2 190 37 Gauthier-Leduc, Jerome D 6-1 176 17 Gragnani, Marc-Andre D 6-2 201 47 MacKenzie, Matt D 6-1 191 81 McNabb, Brayden D 6-4 200 67 Persson, Dennis D 6-1 181 53 Pysyk, Mark D 6-1 174 73 Schiestel, Drew D 6-2 193 6 Weber, Mike D 6-2 211 GOALTENDER 1 Enroth, Jhonas G 5-10 174 35 Leggio, David G 5-7 180 31 Kalemba, Zane G 5-11 185

Ennis should tear it up there I'm guessing. I really loved his style of play at the WJs two years ago, and I think he will be the clutch guy that the Sabres need in their forwards corps. When he becomes that player is a mystery to me though. Maybe he already will be.

Kevin Sundher is also interesting in that he's a local East-Indian kid from BC, along the lines of a Prab Rai, but better. A lot of Canuck fans wanted to draft him, but he went pretty early. Always good to see these different nationalities getting into the game of hockey.

I also have heard about Luke Adam (not sure from where, but good stuff) and Zach Kassian, the latter moreso. It seems like he had an unfortunate last season though.

The Canucks camp will be headlined by Jordan Schroeder who had a terrific stint in the AHL last season including a goal on his first shift, a hat trick and going PPG in the AHL playoffs. Another player you might hear about in a few years is Kevin Connauton, who absolutely exploded as an offensive defenceman in his first year in the 'dub, putting up bigger numbers than guys like Mike Green did. He does have similar defensive issues, but he isn't your typical offensive defenceman, having also recording over 100 PIMs.

The Canucks camp will be headlined by Jordan Schroeder who had a terrific stint in the AHL last season including a goal on his first shift, a hat trick and going PPG in the AHL playoffs. Another player you might hear about in a few years is Kevin Connauton, who absolutely exploded as an offensive defenceman in his first year in the 'dub, putting up bigger numbers than guys like Mike Green did. He does have similar defensive issues, but he isn't your typical offensive defenceman, having also recording over 100 PIMs.

So Schroeder had a bounce back year after turning pro? They weren't too happy with him after his one year in Minnesota.

I'm wondering most what we are going to end up with Kassian. I envision him as being a Wendel Clark type of player which would absolutely rock. I hope I'm right and he doesn't come unglued again and get stupid.

McCauley, Dennis 6-3 225

This kid is 25, having gone the route USHL, North Eastern U, AHL. He's 6'3" and 225lbs. He had 10 goals and 4 assists in 45GP for Worcester Sharks. I'm intrigued. Anyone know anything more about him?

Edit: Found this prior thread

Anyone know anymore about him than this? Looks like he drops the gloves, 84PIMs in 45 games.

I like the kids size which we need more of but I'll admit I know next to nothing of him. I'm not sure 84 pims in 45 games constitutes someone that drops the gloves. Thats only an average of about 2 minutes in the box per game. I could be wrong,maybe all the penalty minutes came in bunches?

I'm wondering most what we are going to end up with Kassian. I envision him as being a Wendel Clark type of player which would absolutely rock. I hope I'm right and he doesn't come unglued again and get stupid.

Just read another glowing report on Kulikov - the guy we passed up to get Kassian. I thought it was a stupid move then and it still looks like a stupid move now.

I like the kids size which we need more of but I'll admit I know next to nothing of him. I'm not sure 84 pims in 45 games constitutes someone that drops the gloves. Thats only an average of about 2 minutes in the box per game. I could be wrong,maybe all the penalty minutes came in bunches?

I looked up his Sharks numbers. He got 9 - 5 minute majors plus another 17 minutes in one game.

Just read another glowing report on Kulikov - the guy we passed up to get Kassian. I thought it was a stupid move then and it still looks like a stupid move now.

A 6'1", 183 lbs defenseman will have to show a lot more than 16 pts before he proves he's really a big missed opportunity for the Sabres. Kassian was riskier, but if he hit the top of his potential scale, he'd be the type of players that all teams covet: size and skill with a nasty attitude. Obviously, he took a step backward last year with injuries, suspensions and legal trouble, but it was a shot worth taking. We'll see if Kulikov actually turns out to be the real deal (not just some sports writers saying good things about his potential), but until then, it's hard to say that it was that big of a deal.

A 6'1", 183 lbs defenseman will have to show a lot more than 16 pts before he proves he's really a big missed opportunity for the Sabres. Kassian was riskier, but if he hit the top of his potential scale, he'd be the type of players that all teams covet: size and skill with a nasty attitude. Obviously, he took a step backward last year with injuries, suspensions and legal trouble, but it was a shot worth taking. We'll see if Kulikov actually turns out to be the real deal (not just some sports writers saying good things about his potential), but until then, it's hard to say that it was that big of a deal.

Call me crazy, but I say we let the guys play a couple seasons before we start defining their careers.

So Schroeder had a bounce back year after turning pro? They weren't too happy with him after his one year in Minnesota.

Schroeder had an incredible first year in Minnesota, but his numbers tailed off last year in their program as he lost his two linemates (one of them was Ryan Stoa) and the overall team went downhill. However, after that NCAA season he came to the AHL and had some pretty good success.

First game of Vancouver's prospect tourney was tonight against the Oilers, who dressed Hall, Eberle and Pajaarvi. The Oilers won, but Connauton got a goal. Schroeder played to the strength of his linemates, as he always does, and was justifiably average although he was robbed in the first period and hit a post. Hodgson is still not cleared for contact.

Agreed. Kulikov has probably better chances of becoming a solid NHLer but Kassian has star potential. I don't think Kulikov's ceiling is too high. I can't fault the Sabres for not aiming for the stars and going the easy root, going for a guy who is considered a "safe" pick. I don't think too many people would be as down on Kassian if he wasn't suspended for 20 games last year. He's basically a year behind schedule development wise, but i still think he'll be fine. Actually, he's been doing great for Windsor in pre-season, and scored a hat trick in his last game in the OHL prior to joining the Sabres for rookie camp.

Also, i think Kulikov had offers from the KHL, which i'm sure scared some teams away. And i don't blame them.

I think it's because of the fact that for some reason it still exists after all these years. That's probably the "wonder" part.

I might consider buying it if they were honest and named it "Slightly-Below-Average-Bread". I might respect the poster a bit more too if he had that name.

Archived