Potential Dman pairings?

FearTheReaper

The signing of Shaone Morrison not only has made me very excited about our D, it has opened up alot of intrigue in my thoughts.

Myers all but stole the right of being the top Dman on the roster. Rivet needs to be on the 3rd pair, in my view. His game has slowed significantly over the past few seasons. And his experience will help the younger 6th dman he will be paired with.

Morrison has alot of experience playing alongside Mike Green in Washington. So he is used to being with an offensive partner. He is a lefty as well.

Soooo...

With Myers being a righty, and fitting into the Mike Green mold. I think it would make all the sense in the world to put these two together. That would be amazing.

I also think that Montador and Leopold compliment each other well too. And Steve is a righty, Jordan, a lefty.

That would leave us with Rivet and probably Butler/ Sekera, but hopefully Marc-Andre Gragnani works Shakira down to the minors for good during camp.

My pairs would look like this.

Morrison - Myers

Leopold - Montador

Gragnani/Butler - Rivet

Thoughts???

Morrison - Myers

Leopold - Montador

Gragnani/Butler - Rivet

Thoughts???

I'm not as excited as you about the overall state of the D, and while I agree that Rivet is 3rd pairing material as it stands, I'm still willing to give him about a month to see what he can do now that he's healed up. If we still get the same level of play, then keep him there (or sit him down if he deserves it, I have no problem with that). But that said, I like your match-ups and the reasons you provided. Montador is going to need to keep up a good level of play and do away with some of the gaffes he makes now and again (which was a big problem with Lydman's game, IMO). I think the question is going to be the whole Weber/Sekera/Butler/Gragnani drama. I'm really hoping someone steps up and grabs hold of the 6th slot (or higher if they earn it). If Weber has an impressive camp, play him. If he fails, sit him, as the 7th D or back in Portland. Same goes for all the D-men. We have enough vying for a big league spot that all the D-men should be pressured into earning their place. Put up or shut up. That would be a nice, refreshing theme for the whole team this September.

before we all go medieval on Sekera's ass, let's ask ourselves which of our Dmen have actually been consistent since the lockout.

we saw flashes of what Sekera could be at the Olympics last year. which leads to the next question, what is keeping him from playing that way in Buffalo?

before we all go medieval on Sekera's ass, let's ask ourselves which of our Dmen have actually been consistent since the lockout.

we saw flashes of what Sekera could be at the Olympics last year. which leads to the next question, what is keeping him from playing that way in Buffalo?

Good question. I still remember him and Weber playing real well together a couple years ago. I'd like to see that pairing again.

Yes, good question. And what's more is, Lindy saw it too, which is why he gave him plenty of time after the break. And yet he reverted right back to his old self, which seems to be a common theme on this team. The obvious implication there is unintentional.

I'll predict that Sekera will stay ahead of Butler, Weber and Gragnani in the D rotation for most of this year and that he'll be pretty decent by the end of the year.

Can anyone confirm whether any of those 4 can be sent down to Portland without having to clear waivers?

This is what I've been using in NHL10:

Morrison - Myers

Leopold - Rivet

Weber - Montador

Of course, they don't have Rivet as slow as he is now.

For reference, my forwards are:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Connolly-Pommer

Hecht-Niedermayer-Grier

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers got the game winner last night when he spun in the slot and snapped it top shelf in OT.

This is what I've been using in NHL10:

Morrison - Myers

Leopold - Rivet

Weber - Montador

Of course, they don't have Rivet as slow as he is now.

For reference, my forwards are:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Connolly-Pommer

Hecht-Niedermayer-Grier

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers got the game winner last night when he spun in the slot and snapped it top shelf in OT.

I'd expect the forwards are what they'll run w/ barring a trade.

Although it makes sense to have Morrison w/ Myers, I expect that the D-pairings will be

Leopold - Myers

Sekera - Rivet (once healthy)

Morrison - Montador

w/ Weber & Butler waiting in the wings.

I'll predict that Sekera will stay ahead of Butler, Weber and Gragnani in the D rotation for most of this year and that he'll be pretty decent by the end of the year.

Can anyone confirm whether any of those 4 can be sent down to Portland without having to clear waivers?

There's only one d-man exempt from waivers on this team (excluding the obvious AHL guys). Some guy by the name of Myers.

Our defence looks pedestrian at best. Especially if Rivet doesn't regain his form which could very well happen. It seems to me that Regier is relying on a whole lot of what ifs and best case senarios to run this team.

Morrisson, leopold, and montador are all serviceable vets with top 4 capabilities. Not to mention a Norris trophy canidate. I'm fine with what they have.

There's only one d-man exempt from waivers on this team (excluding the obvious AHL guys). Some guy by the name of Myers.

So Butler will probably be the #7, leaving Gragnani and Weber... waived? Traded? It's hard to see DR just abandoning either of them by exposing them to waivers, so maybe a trade is indeed coming. If so, it will probably be a MacArthur- or Paille-type trade for a draft pick. However, maybe, just maybe, we'll see one of them plus Stafford for somebody's expensive forward that they have to unload for cap reasons? Like maybe Elias or Langenbrunner if NJ ever signs Kovy? That would be sweet.

So Butler will probably be the #7, leaving Gragnani and Weber... waived? Traded? It's hard to see DR just abandoning either of them by exposing them to waivers, so maybe a trade is indeed coming. If so, it will probably be a MacArthur- or Paille-type trade for a draft pick. However, maybe, just maybe, we'll see one of them plus Stafford for somebody's expensive forward that they have to unload for cap reasons? Like maybe Elias or Langenbrunner if NJ ever signs Kovy? That would be sweet.

Yeah, I fully expect at least one of those 6-10 defensemen to be shipped out for a pick or two. I think they'd almost rather give one of the younger guys (Brennan, Biega, etc...) a shot at a callup should injuries make that necessary. That seems to be how they do things around here most of the time, giving the young guy his cup of tea over the more seasoned veteran.

The Jersey thing will be interesting if by some chance they ever get that worked out. TSN had a story up today that they tried to re-work the deal, but the NHL rejected the new proposal they put together. At this point, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kovalchuk cuts his losses and heads home. If they do wind up with him and have to cut some space, the two guys you mentioned seem like the best options. Langenbrunner looks like the easiest guy to move, but he's the kind of guy Lou absolutely loves.

Archived