[OT] season ticket group dispute

nfreeman

OK, so I'm having a problem with a friend of mine with whom I've shared Bills season tickets for about 10 years, and I'm hoping for some advice (I know this isn't the Bills board, but I don't post there as there are just way too many meatheads and I don't follow the NFL that much anymore anyway). Here is the situation:

My friend and I both live out of town but keep season tickets because (i) the seats are great, (ii) we think it helps support the team and keep it in Buffalo and (iii) if there is ever another home playoff game (ha!), we'll be able to attend without scalping tickets. We usually go to 1 or 2 games per year and unload the extra games to friends and/or via ebay.

For the last 3 years, a work colleague of mine who is also from Buffalo has taken 2 or 3 of games per year. We charge him face value, plus a proportionate share of the cost of the preseason games (because otherwise we'd end up eating the entire cost of the preseason games, which cost as much as the regular season games). This year he took 2 games and paid the same rate for the tickets as in previous years.

For the games we sell via ebay, we are usually able to more or less break even. This year, though, we are going to end up losing $300 to $400 (thanks again, Ralph and Dick). To me, this is the cost of keeping season tickets through the lean years. My friend who shares the tickets with me, though, thinks that we could've gotten more via ebay for the games taken by the work colleague (the 2 games he took were early-season games, which usually sell better than late-season games). He also thinks that the work colleague should take a proportionate share of the loss (i.e. since he's getting 2/7 of the games, he should absorb 2/7 of the losses).

However, we've never offered my work colleague a share of profits from the tickets in past years (and there have been some, albeit not much), any playoff rights or any rights to his choice of games. He's just picked a couple of regular-season games from the ones we told him were available (ie after we decided which games we wanted), and paid what we asked him to pay. In other words, he hasn't had any of the benefits of being part of the season-ticket group, but my friend now wants him to bear the burdens of being part of the group.

Accordingly, I think it's crazy (not to mention unbearably cheap and petty and fairly dishonorable) to ask my work colleague for more money for the two games, or even to think that he should be obligated to pay more. My co-owner of the tickets, who has an unfortunate tendency to fly off the handle, has accused me of wanting to do a favor for my work colleague but make my co-owner bear part of the expense of the favor. It was a pretty unpleasant conversation. However, I want to do the right thing and so would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who's been in a season ticket group or similar situation.

Any and all advice appreciated.

OK, so I'm having a problem with a friend of mine with whom I've shared Bills season tickets for about 10 years, and I'm hoping for some advice (I know this isn't the Bills board, but I don't post there as there are just way too many meatheads and I don't follow the NFL that much anymore anyway). Here is the situation:

My friend and I both live out of town but keep season tickets because (i) the seats are great, (ii) we think it helps support the team and keep it in Buffalo and (iii) if there is ever another home playoff game (ha!), we'll be able to attend without scalping tickets. We usually go to 1 or 2 games per year and unload the extra games to friends and/or via ebay.

For the last 3 years, a work colleague of mine who is also from Buffalo has taken 2 or 3 of games per year. We charge him face value, plus a proportionate share of the cost of the preseason games (because otherwise we'd end up eating the entire cost of the preseason games, which cost as much as the regular season games). This year he took 2 games and paid the same rate for the tickets as in previous years.

For the games we sell via ebay, we are usually able to more or less break even. This year, though, we are going to end up losing $300 to $400 (thanks again, Ralph and Dick). To me, this is the cost of keeping season tickets through the lean years. My friend who shares the tickets with me, though, thinks that we could've gotten more via ebay for the games taken by the work colleague (the 2 games he took were early-season games, which usually sell better than late-season games). He also thinks that the work colleague should take a proportionate share of the loss (i.e. since he's getting 2/7 of the games, he should absorb 2/7 of the losses).

However, we've never offered my work colleague a share of profits from the tickets in past years (and there have been some, albeit not much), any playoff rights or any rights to his choice of games. He's just picked a couple of regular-season games from the ones we told him were available (ie after we decided which games we wanted), and paid what we asked him to pay. In other words, he hasn't had any of the benefits of being part of the season-ticket group, but my friend now wants him to bear the burdens of being part of the group.

Accordingly, I think it's crazy (not to mention unbearably cheap and petty and fairly dishonorable) to ask my work colleague for more money for the two games, or even to think that he should be obligated to pay more. My co-owner of the tickets, who has an unfortunate tendency to fly off the handle, has accused me of wanting to do a favor for my work colleague but make my co-owner bear part of the expense of the favor. It was a pretty unpleasant conversation. However, I want to do the right thing and so would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who's been in a season ticket group or similar situation.

First of all, I think you are absolutely correct - unless your work colleague has been included as part of the group by sharing in the profits, he should not have to bear part of the losses. As for your co-owner, assuming you've already explained your reasoning to him, tell him if he wants more dough from your work colleague he can ask for it himself.

If your friend has agreed to sell to your work colleague then I don't see that they have anything to complain about. They should have spoke up before and said they wanted to sell all of the tickets on ebay. Then if you had sold some to the work colleague your friend could probably have expected you to make up some of the difference.

:clapping:

Stories like this are why I wryly sit waiting for the apocalypse.

How are you losing $400 on 4 games? You must have club seats. If not, it doesn't make sense.

If you do have club seats, tell your buddy that your coworker is doing you a favor because anyone can call and get those seats from the box office for the same price at any time.

How are you losing $400 on 4 games? You must have club seats. If not, it doesn't make sense.

I have 4 tickets per game -- not club seats, but really good lower level seats. Interest in the late-season games (Cleveland, Detroit & the Pats) was, shall we say, lukewarm. I've unloaded 2 games and am in process of unloading the last 2. The total loss may end up being closer to $300, but I doubt it will be less than that.

Having said that -- any thoughts on my co-owner's position in the dispute? I was kinda hoping you would weigh in on this.

Thanks.

I have 4 tickets per game -- not club seats, but really good lower level seats. Interest in the late-season games (Cleveland, Detroit & the Pats) was, shall we say, lukewarm. I've unloaded 2 games and am in process of unloading the last 2. The total loss may end up being closer to $300, but I doubt it will be less than that.

Having said that -- any thoughts on my co-owner's position in the dispute? I was kinda hoping you would weigh in on this.

Thanks.

My bad....I assumed you had 2 seats...I see.

I think you need to reasses being "in business" with this "friend" of yours. I have some friends that are cheapskates, or that are always looking for an angle on things, and I do my best not to comingle financial matters with them. It does you no good when it comes to the amount of stress in dealing with this person versus the actual dollar amounts involved.

This is me, but how I would handle it.....since your friend only takes 1 game a year, you don't really need him in on it. Tell him that there is no way you are going to make the coworker pay extra for a preseason game....that is free anyway when figuring in season ticket holder discounts. If he gets in a huff about it, then tell him if he isn't going to let it go, then you are willing to give him the money he thinks he deserves.....but your partnership is OVER.

What are we talking.....4 tix x $75 = $300 * 2/7 * 50%.........I'd give the guy a $50 spot and tell him to take a flying leap.

I am assuming you have control of the tickets? The only leverage the guy has on you is if his name is on the account. Otherwise, I'd almost be hoping for him to make this an issue and kick him out. The Bills have a payment plan I think....so if you feel you can float it.....I wouldn't want to deal with a guy like this on a regular financial basis.

I don't think there is anyway you can charge a colleague a percentage of the loss. You're lucky to be able to dump a few easily. If someone tried to charge me, I'd head right to stubub. It's not the Redskins, Giants or Cowboys, its the Buffalo, we don't need no playoffs, Bills..

You are clearly in the right. I had a similar situation and I absorbed the loss rather then change course on someone who had been a reliable purchaser in the past.

I agree with you, if you wanted to sell the tickets to said buyer for more you would have had to do so before the transaction was agreed upon. You're the middleman which is a sticky situation. But if I'm the guy who bought the tickets from you, and you're reneging on the deal, I'm telling you to shove em and am pissed cause now I've missed a chance to get tickets to the early games that are now sold out.

Well first of all your way of business makes absolutely no sense. You obviously wanted to lose money as it is August and you have already sold all your tickets. First you should have calculated how much you needed to earn to either break even or make a profit. Then you should have posted your tickets that you were going to sell on StubHub or Ebay or even TBD and made sure you got the money you needed. Even with your friend choosing two prime games you shouldnt be in the predicament you are in. But now that it is all said and done you and your co owner need to take the loss. Or you could sell tickets to each of the games you are both going to to friends also. OR you two could act like you only ave 2 season tickets and go to games together while selling the others. YOu have alot of options but screwing your work buddy over is not the answer.

n,

If the tix are in your name, I'd suggest you tell your friend that he has 2 options; he can let it go as he's in the wrong, or he can be out of the STH group next season.

If the tix are in his name, I'd suggest you stand your ground realizing that he may end up suggesting the partnership get dissolved. If he does say he wants out of the agreement, tell him you want him to put 1 pair of tix in your name (which the Bills should be fine with, I know they've allowed that in the past). The only downfall w/ that is that your spot in the STH pecking order is at the very back of the line, so if the Bills ever do get back to the show you will have much less chance of getting tix than your buddy would have (assuming they get issued in a weighted lottery).

Hope it works out.

Considering the fact that this team is a few years off from making the playoffs, you have to really consider the value of keeping the tickets. If you're really losing this much money, you could save that money for a scalped playoff ticket fund and go from there.

If you insist on keeping the tickets, you'll have to move to tiered pricing like the Sabres. Early-season tickets are always the hottest. The season is fresh and the weather is decent. These would be platinum games. The late season games would be value games. Opponents would determine Gold and Silver games in the middle of the season. How you price them would have to be a consensus amongst the owners. I dont think you can go back now. You made the deals for this year and will have to live with them.

Archived