[OT] Update on the Dog

Taro T

Well, turns out I was right about not having much time left. We just had to put her down this past Monday, bone cancer. Not sure if this will ever stop hurting. :cry:

R.I.P. Mollie 1997-2011

post-516-052771500 1295544383_thumb.jpg

Very sorry CD. Same thing with me. Me , the wife and dog so I know how you feel. The hurting doesn't stop but it becomes a bit easier and you will be able to look back on all the great times.

Had to put my 14 year old lab down a couple months ago. My wife and I rescued him from a pound before we were married - he was just a year old then, a stray, and still fully equipped. He gave us 13 awesome years, put up with my two sons poking and prodding, and was loyal and faithful and loving till the day we couldn't live to see him in pain anymore. Easily the hardest thing I have ever done. I loved that dog far more than most people I know, including ones I am related to, and the dog was far smarter, too.

Its not fair that an animal that takes up so much space in your heart leaves you so soon.

post-1934-027847100 1295547340_thumb.jpg

I loved that dog far more than most people I know, including ones I am related to, and the dog was far smarter, too.

Its not fair that an animal that takes up so much space in your heart leaves you so soon.

I've cried more for a horse than I have for any human. If it wasn't for animals, humans probably would have wiped each other off the face of the earth long ago. They allow decent people to remain sane in an ever crazier world. Well, except for the ladies with the 12 cats :)

My parents dog will be 12 this year. I always figured she would be one of those dogs that lives way longer than most, a ball of pure energy with zero health problems. She was really starting to show her age though when I was back for Christmas. She's still highly energetic, but it looks like some arthritis is setting in. Those two don't go together so well, especially in the winter.

Sorry to hear it buddy. You have to console yourself with the fact that you gave this dog a wonderful life, full of love and light. I'd say Mollie won the lottery as far as that goes. :)

Thanks to you and everybody else who replied.

You're absolutely correct MapCap. I can't think of anything that could have made her life better, aside from it lasting longer. She died instantly and peacefully, with no fear and no pain...only the caresses and sweet words of loved ones.

We should all be so lucky.

Had to put my 14 year old lab down a couple months ago. My wife and I rescued him from a pound before we were married - he was just a year old then, a stray, and still fully equipped. He gave us 13 awesome years, put up with my two sons poking and prodding, and was loyal and faithful and loving till the day we couldn't live to see him in pain anymore. Easily the hardest thing I have ever done. I loved that dog far more than most people I know, including ones I am related to, and the dog was far smarter, too.

Quite true. Many of you know I put down my 13-year-old shih tzu about 16 months ago and it still tears me up a little bit to this day. Also for me, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

My condolences, CD.

I'd say you were lucky to have him that long -- most larger breeds don't get much past 10. My little guy (Lhasa/Shih tzu mix) is almost 16 and definitely slowing down, but I'm hoping to keep him around at least a while longer.

I had to put my bassethound to sleep today. Very depressing. She was only 6 but had canine lymphoma and hadn't done very well on the chemo. Incredible dog, everyone loved her. Even with my other dogs here house feels empty without her.

Gotta look at the bright side (which is hard today) and think that she gave up her spot so we could rescue some other dog and give it a good home. :cry:

I had to put my bassethound to sleep today. Very depressing. She was only 6 but had canine lymphoma and hadn't done very well on the chemo. Incredible dog, everyone loved her. Even with my other dogs here house feels empty without her.

I'm sorry man...I should be (and am) happy that we got 13 years with ours.

I work from home, and my wife returned to work today. Holy crap this house is quiet right now without my girls. :(

I'm sorry man...I should be (and am) happy that we got 13 years with ours.

I work from home, and my wife returned to work today. Holy crap this house is quiet right now without my girls. :(

The worst part was coming home to a silent house. Silence. Its been a couple months and I still expect to hear his paws on the hardwood when I open the door. I still expect to wake up to his cold nose in the morning wanting to go out. Damn, I miss that dog.

On the positive side, I think I will finally have all his fur off my clothes and out of my house in another six or seven years!

btw, sorry to bring everybody down today. Hope the Sabres can win one for Mollie tonight...she was a big fan :beer:

No worries, cd. Losing a pet is just like losing a family member. You have every right to express feelings.

Regarding the quiet house, we were lucky enough to have a cat and second dog when we put our shih-tzu down. The house still felt quieter, even though we had the other pets with us.

If my wife had her way, our second dog (shih-tzu/lhasa mix) would last until she's 30. She'll be 7 in August and we're hoping she'll keep kicking at least as long as biodork's mix is.

The worst part was coming home to a silent house. Silence. Its been a couple months and I still expect to hear his paws on the hardwood when I open the door. I still expect to wake up to his cold nose in the morning wanting to go out. Damn, I miss that dog.

On the positive side, I think I will finally have all his fur off my clothes and out of my house in another six or seven years!

:thumbsup:

Well, turns out I was right about not having much time left. We just had to put her down this past Monday, bone cancer. Not sure if this will ever stop hurting. :cry:

R.I.P. Mollie 1997-2011

Sorry to hear about you dog Mollie. At 14 she lived a pretty long life. Hopefully overtime you will feel up to giving another dog a chance for a good home.

Sorry to hear about you dog Mollie. At 14 she lived a pretty long life. Hopefully overtime you will feel up to giving another dog a chance for a good home.

Thanks man. We will definitely get another one from the SPCA some day, just not for a little while. Maybe over the summer. My wife and I are big supporters of the SPCA...if you click on the www.DiscsForDogs.org link in my sig you can see a program that we founded about 5 years ago which has so far raised about $10k for them. Shameless plug for a good cause...check it out if you have any old CDs just laying around collecting dust.

On the plus side, my wife came home tonight from work and she is doing noticeably better. We only cried once tonight...when we were making some light ice cream sundaes. Mollie used to always get to lick the bowls. :(

Glad the Sabres heard my request for a win tonight. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. We will definitely get another one from the SPCA some day, just not for a little while. Maybe over the summer. My wife and I are big supporters of the SPCA...if you click on the www.DiscsForDogs.org link in my sig you can see a program that we founded about 5 years ago which has so far raised about $10k for them. Shameless plug for a good cause...check it out if you have any old CDs just laying around collecting dust.

On the plus side, my wife came home tonight from work and she is doing noticeably better. We only cried once tonight...when we were making some light ice cream sundaes. Mollie used to always get to lick the bowls. :(

Glad the Sabres heard my request for a win tonight. :thumbsup:

Cheers to that. We're big supporters of the SPCA and different rescue programs.

Say what you want about Justin Bieber, but he's also doing some big campaign for people to go to the pound/SPCA/rescue org's before going to breeders. Good kid in my book for that!

Hope you are feeling better today. I know we are (a little bit anyway). The fact that I still have my two beagles prancing around helps for sure.

R.I.P. Mollie 1997-2011

Very sorry CD. Same thing with me. Me , the wife and dog so I know how you feel. The hurting doesn't stop but it becomes a bit easier and you will be able to look back on all the great times.

Gents,

Very sorry to read about the passing of your family members (pets). That really sucks.

Remember the good times with them; it'll stop hurting eventually; but enjoy the memory.

Again, very sorry to read of your losses. :cry:

Gents,

Very sorry to read about the passing of your family members (pets). That really sucks.

Remember the good times with them; it'll stop hurting eventually; but enjoy the memory.

Again, very sorry to read of your losses. :cry:

This. I read through this entire thread over the last few days and I couldn't even bring myself to reply. The thought of losing our dog just tears me up inside.

• 3 months later...

Well my wife and I finally got a new dog, as you can probably tell from my avatar. Her name is Lia and she's a small pit mix, currently 7 months old. She's awesome. By far the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. Poor thing was tossed from a car down in NC back in December. Luckily, a lady saw it happen and grabbed her and turned her in to a local shelter. Unfortunately, the shelters down there are so overrun with pits that they only give them a couple days before they kill them. So she was rescued from that high-kill shelter by the woman who runs The Silver Lining For Pit Bulls rescue organization in Kenmore. She found Lia a foster home to stay at and then we found her on Petfinder a month ago. :)

I read a statistic that 599 out of every 600 stray pitbulls that end up in shelters are killed because there are so many and nobody wants them. It's a pity because unless specifically trained otherwise, they are one of the brightest and nicest breeds of dog available.

She's definitely a lucky kid, and we're lucky to have her. :wub:

post-516-078057800 1305166191_thumb.jpg

post-516-041428900 1305166167_thumb.jpg

post-516-029657100 1305166202_thumb.jpg

Well my wife and I finally got a new dog, as you can probably tell from my avatar. Her name is Lia and she's a small pit mix, currently 7 months old. She's awesome. By far the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. Poor thing was tossed from a car down in NC back in December. Luckily, a lady saw it happen and grabbed her and turned her in to a local shelter. Unfortunately, the shelters down there are so overrun with pits that they only give them a couple days before they kill them. So she was rescued from that high-kill shelter by the woman who runs The Silver Lining For Pit Bulls rescue organization in Kenmore. She found Lia a foster home to stay at and then we found her on Petfinder a month ago. :)

I read a statistic that 599 out of every 600 stray pitbulls that end up in shelters are killed because there are so many and nobody wants them. It's a pity because unless specifically trained otherwise, they are one of the brightest and nicest breeds of dog available.

She's definitely a lucky kid, and we're lucky to have her. :wub:

Our dog is a rescue dog too. After going through the whole rescue/adopt process I am a believer. Our next dog will be a rescue dog too. Them peeps do great things.

Our dog is a rescue dog too. After going through the whole rescue/adopt process I am a believer. Our next dog will be a rescue dog too. Them peeps do great things.

True dat. To get our dog up here from NC to NY, 16 different volunteers each drove her 1 hour of the way. They meet the previous person at a designated spot, drive an hour, and then hand the dog off to the next person. I never heard of this, but it's like an underground railroad for dogs, lol. Bless 'em all for doing that. :worthy:

Archived