[OT] Update on the Dog

Taro T

Great storys!My mom gave me a boxer dog that i named kobe on superbowl day 1997,and i was getting ready to go see my parents on superbowl day this year to watch the game with my dad and my mom called right before i went over and said your dog was walking in the back yard and broke his leg.He lived there cause i couldnt have dogs where i lived.He was put to sleep not long after.I knew it was time but it kills me to even think about it,he went superbowl to superbowl and he was a super dog.I will never get another dog,cant do it

Well my wife and I finally got a new dog, as you can probably tell from my avatar. Her name is Lia and she's a small pit mix, currently 7 months old. She's awesome. By far the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. Poor thing was tossed from a car down in NC back in December. Luckily, a lady saw it happen and grabbed her and turned her in to a local shelter. Unfortunately, the shelters down there are so overrun with pits that they only give them a couple days before they kill them. So she was rescued from that high-kill shelter by the woman who runs The Silver Lining For Pit Bulls rescue organization in Kenmore. She found Lia a foster home to stay at and then we found her on Petfinder a month ago. :)

I read a statistic that 599 out of every 600 stray pitbulls that end up in shelters are killed because there are so many and nobody wants them. It's a pity because unless specifically trained otherwise, they are one of the brightest and nicest breeds of dog available.

She's definitely a lucky kid, and we're lucky to have her. :wub:

That's terrible man! I love Pitbulls, and really wanted one 6 years ago when we got our dog. My mom picked out a "labradoodle" (except he isn't truly one...) instead. Hobbes has been my best friend the last 6 years (even though I spent most of the time at school in Rochester). I'm glad we got him!

But back to the pits. They are the MOST loyal dog that you can get. They only get their bad reputation from people who train them to specifically be bad. If you train them right, they will be the best behaved dog, and most loyal, it's in their blood. My old roommates brother has a pitbull, Sadi (sp?). She won't let anybody even playfully hit him. She is so protective of him.

When I move out of my mom's house (can't beat zero rent when you've got loans and car payments), my next dogs (I'll be getting two) will be Pitbulls. I can't stand the bad rep they get :angry:

It's hard to get homeowner's or renter's insurance in a lot of places if you have a pit bull. Be warned. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is. Staffordshire Terriers have this problem as well.

Very true, unfortunately.

We had to change our homeowners policy to a different company as our old one did not allow pitties. Turns out State Farm is pitbull-friendly, not only will they cover them but they do not charge extra for it. In fact, we ended up saving $250/yr by switching so it was a win-win for us. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

My parent's dog died on saturday. We got her back in the summer of '99, right before my senior year of high school, so I was around for a decent portion of her life. My parents went out for something in the middle of the day and Lacey didn't great them at the door when they got back like she has always done every single day. My mom went looking for her and found her on the ground in the spot where she always slept, laying exactly like she would when sleeping. But she was gone. Hopefully she went peacefully, but we'll never know.

She was the most energetic dog I've ever seen and always seemed to be really healthy. I always figured she'd find a way to live for about 20 years. When I was home for Christmas, she was still as energetic as ever, always looking to play. Apparently my 11 month old nephew has quickly become her faithful follower ever since he became mobile. I was really looking forward to seeing some of those interaction (going home for the 4th, his 1st birthday). I wonder how he'll react now when he notices that his good friend and fellow floor dweller is missing.

I was supposed to go back form Memorial Day, but instead decided to stay here and go down to the cape with a couple friends for 2 days. It wound up being an absolutely miserable trip. And now I find another reason why that was a really bad choice.

My parent's dog died on saturday. We got her back in the summer of '99, right before my senior year of high school, so I was around for a decent portion of her life. My parents went out for something in the middle of the day and Lacey didn't great them at the door when they got back like she has always done every single day. My mom went looking for her and found her on the ground in the spot where she always slept, laying exactly like she would when sleeping. But she was gone. Hopefully she went peacefully, but we'll never know.

She was the most energetic dog I've ever seen and always seemed to be really healthy. I always figured she'd find a way to live for about 20 years. When I was home for Christmas, she was still as energetic as ever, always looking to play. Apparently my 11 month old nephew has quickly become her faithful follower ever since he became mobile. I was really looking forward to seeing some of those interaction (going home for the 4th, his 1st birthday). I wonder how he'll react now when he notices that his good friend and fellow floor dweller is missing.

I was supposed to go back form Memorial Day, but instead decided to stay here and go down to the cape with a couple friends for 2 days. It wound up being an absolutely miserable trip. And now I find another reason why that was a really bad choice.

My condolences. That's a tough loss. :(

Bummer.

You have my condolences.

I am saddened to hear of your loss. It sounds like she went peacefully in her favorite place in a home that loved her. :cry:

I am saddened to hear of your loss. It sounds like she went peacefully in her favorite place in a home that loved her. :cry:

Which reminds me, it was completely unexpected. Apparently she was her same old playful self even earlier that morning. So strange.

Which reminds me, it was completely unexpected. Apparently she was her same old playful self even earlier that morning. So strange.

Then she most definitely did not suffer. :) My guess is that she went in her sleep. If she were in pain or under distress she probably would have puked or ###### in the house, as those are natural pain reactions.

Before my last dog passed away (see upthread) my wife and I had always hoped that the scenario you described would be the way she went. Unfortunately, this is rare and she did end up suffering (as did we) for several horrible days. It does suck that you did not get to bid her a proper farewell, but from the dog's perspective this is probably the best case scenario.

In any case, I'm very sorry.

Archived