[OT] Bass Pro Out

weehawk

Any thoughts on this?

I say put up a 5000 seat all-weather amphitheater at the Aud site. Takes care of both Thursday at the Square and the Canal Series. Sure it will cost more, but it's what the waterfront needs to get the wheels moving.

It took so long to try and get this done, in the end it looks like a blessing in disguise that it didn't get done.

From The News:

The project burst into the region's collective consciousness in 2001, when then-Mayor Anthony M. Masiello touted the benefits of Bass Pro, then a growing retailer that chose its locations selectively.

"They only open one store in a given region, and if they select Buffalo, we would have the only Bass Pro Shop in the Northeast," Masiello said in 2001. Since then, Bass Pro has opened stores in Auburn and Toledo, Ohio. Bass Pro also has shops in Harrisburg, Pa., Toronto and Cincinnati.

Sure, no one is surprised. But the dumb-butt politicians were going to give them 35 million. Where is that money going now? Hopefully not on some museum. We need an outdoor live music venue to draw people to the water. Sure, it might sit relatively empty in the winter, but during 6-8 months out of the year, it would be a solid attraction. I dont think anything they put there is going to attract any large groups of people in the winter. The area right at the arena needs a sports bar for pre- and post-game partying. Other than that, no one will go to the water in the winter anyway, so why not an amphitheater?

And no one was surprised.

It took so long to try and get this done, in the end it looks like a blessing in disguise that it didn't get done.

From The News:

The project burst into the region's collective consciousness in 2001, when then-Mayor Anthony M. Masiello touted the benefits of Bass Pro, then a growing retailer that chose its locations selectively.

"They only open one store in a given region, and if they select Buffalo, we would have the only Bass Pro Shop in the Northeast," Masiello said in 2001. Since then, Bass Pro has opened stores in Auburn and Toledo, Ohio. Bass Pro also has shops in Harrisburg, Pa., Toronto and Cincinnati.

In Masiello's defense, he's an idiot. Guy just couldn't help it.

I'm so glad this whole thing is finally over. In typical Buffalo fashion it took 9 years to make a decision that should have been completed 8 years ago. Nothing that actually gets done takes this long.

Now, about knocking down that Skyway...

http://schumpeter2006.org/blog/2006/12/19/economic-impact-of-bass-pro-shops/

http://www.northcountrychamber.com/newsDetails.php?newsID=59

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2005/01/10/story5.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/11/bass_pro_shops_decides_against.html

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20051014/NEWS/510140327/0/TOPADS02

And these are just a few articles. Basically, economics combined with quality of life come into play for a store of Bass pro or Cabella's. Both of which should be here in Buffalo in my opinion.

Big Fishing and Hunting area is Western New York. Although, I agree with many, not so much public money should have been diverted to bring them in. If they come, the infrastructure can be put in place, but its up to them as private industries to build out and market thier own success, which, once again, in my opinion wouldn't be very difficult considering the outdoor sportsman lifestyle in the area.

From The News:

losing out to Toledo...Buffalo has sunk even lower.

Rumor is that Regier took over the Bass Pro negotiations a while back. Look for Earl's Discount Fishing Emporium to sign a lease for a 10th of the value of the Bass Pro deal :doh:

:worthy:

Tex and Edna Boil might move in next door.

Rumor is that Regier took over the Bass Pro negotiations a while back. Look for Earl's Discount Fishing Emporium to sign a lease for a 10th of the value of the Bass Pro deal :doh:

I thought Regier was in negotiations to be a volunteer target for various sporting ranges.

We have one just south of Baltimore. Nice store. Always busy. That's where we get our fishing gear from...

When I was working out in Utah Vally a few years back, they had a Cabella's up on the ridge that seperated Salt Lake City and the Orem/Provo area. That store was constantly busy. Parking lot filled to the gills, so to speak.

Attempting to drive retail traffic to the downtown area wasn't necessarily a bad idea, and I don't know the specifics as to why a deal couldn't get done, but I would have thought this stores location may have been better suited for the southtowns. The only reason I say this is because every year my father and myself along with many others head down to the Southerntier to fish, all year round, but Ice fishing is usually my favorite. I love fresh water Perch fried in a breaded butter or beer batter...........mmmmmmmmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

From The News:

I was thinking the other day that if the powers that be in Batavia would come knocking on BPS's doors and say that they're in a prime location - between Buffalo and Rochester - then that would be a good selling point right there. Unfortunately, Buffalo and Rochester would both be losing out, but it would be good for business in Genesee County.

From the outside, this just seems like another blown opportunity by WNY to bring some jobs to the area. Here in my neck of the woods, an Ikea opened up last year in a pretty economically depressed neighborhood and it's been a huge success. They've hired a lot of locals and business is booming.

What did y'all think of the idea for a Buffalo sports museum on the waterfront, explained in Sunday's paper? Maybe this is the way to go. A sports museum, an Erie Canal museum -- you already have the Naval Park. Make it a fun place for historical interpretation. Play up green space, public facilities, walking trails, access to the water etc. Maybe once all of this is in place, the people will come. And business will follow all the way up Main St., who knows? The other approach -- build the anchor business and hope they come -- seems crass in a way. As if all people are interested in doing is spending their money. In this area, in this economy (one which is not likely to turn around in any of our lifetimes), the draw might very well be a cool and cheap place to spend an afternoon.

Erie, PA perhaps provides a template. Modest-sized Erie has done more with its waterfront than draw up plans. There's a nice pier, a Centennial Tower for viewing the lake, an amphitheater, a large modern public library and a maritime museum with the Flagship Niagara. With all that in place, and more traffic, a convention center and hotel, jutting out into the lake in the abstract shape of a ship, followed. Nearby, an amusement park has expanded. It all ties in nicely with a minor league baseball park, the Erie Otters hockey barn and a restored Warner Theater in walking distance.

Most of this happened in the course of one generation.

Tell me what Erie, PA has that Buffalo doesn't.

What did y'all think of the idea for a Buffalo sports museum on the waterfront, explained in Sunday's paper? Maybe this is the way to go. A sports museum, an Erie Canal museum -- you already have the Naval Park. Make it a fun place for historical interpretation. Play up green space, public facilities, walking trails, access to the water etc. Maybe once all of this is in place, the people will come. And business will follow all the way up Main St., who knows? The other approach -- build the anchor business and hope they come -- seems crass in a way. As if all people are interested in doing is spending their money. In this area, in this economy (one which is not likely to turn around in any of our lifetimes), the draw might very well be a cool and cheap place to spend an afternoon.

Erie, PA perhaps provides a template. Modest-sized Erie has done more with its waterfront than draw up plans. There's a nice pier, a Centennial Tower for viewing the lake, an amphitheater, a large modern public library and a maritime museum with the Flagship Niagara. With all that in place, and more traffic, a convention center and hotel, jutting out into the lake in the abstract shape of a ship, followed. Nearby, an amusement park has expanded. It all ties in nicely with a minor league baseball park, the Erie Otters hockey barn and a restored Warner Theater in walking distance.

Most of this happened in the course of one generation.

Tell me what Erie, PA has that Buffalo doesn't.

It's got you. That's what it's got. That's what it's got.

If Quinn is looking for an "Anchor" store to replace Bass Pro, he should go speak with the Family Dollar, I bet they would jump at 35 million for a store. :thumbsup:

While bringing in a Family Dollar sounds like a nice idea, it also brings in bad elements. I worked on the Family Dollar account back in 2005 when I delivered loads to their stores. Notwithstanding the backbreaking work that it involved, most of the Family Dollar stores I encountered were in very bad neighborhoods around Memphis, Birmingham, and Montgomery.

So, IOW, we really do not need to depress downtown Buffalo any further.

Archived