[OT] Bass Pro Out

weehawk

Tell me what Erie, PA has that Buffalo doesn't.

Presque Isle is a pretty big draw to the area, isn't it? We went down there this summer to hike/bike/kayak and we stayed a couple nights in Erie. I agree with your assessment of the waterfront, it was very nice and we're looking forward to returning.

While bringing in a Family Dollar sounds like a nice idea, it also brings in bad elements. I worked on the Family Dollar account back in 2005 when I delivered loads to their stores. Notwithstanding the backbreaking work that it involved, most of the Family Dollar stores I encountered were in very bad neighborhoods around Memphis, Birmingham, and Montgomery.

So, IOW, we really do not need to depress downtown Buffalo any further.

Dude, check your sarcasm meter... :thumbsup:

If Quinn is looking for an "Anchor" store to replace Bass Pro, he should go speak with the Family Dollar, I bet they would jump at 35 million for a store. :thumbsup:

While bringing in a Family Dollar sounds like a nice idea, it also brings in bad elements. I worked on the Family Dollar account back in 2005 when I delivered loads to their stores. Notwithstanding the backbreaking work that it involved, most of the Family Dollar stores I encountered were in very bad neighborhoods around Memphis, Birmingham, and Montgomery.

I agree, but...

Dude, check your sarcasm meter... :thumbsup:

I was actually being serious. No sarcasm intended at all.

I think CDX meant that static was being sarcastic (as he must've been when he was pushing for the Eric Staal trade).

I know what you mean. Why hell, I blame the Family Dollar for the 4 deaths and 4 wounded right in downtown Buffalo, NY.

Why, incidents like this wouldn't take place if the dam Family Dollar weren't located there. :censored:

Blaming a retail business for the atmoshpere or environment in a community, or section of the community is just another excuse to remove the personal accountability of the individuals for their actions, or their parents for the lack of control (if they are inmature or under age).

This is the largest problem with this country, its always some dam lame excuse. Instead of accountability, we get messages such as what you just stated. "I don't know, stores like this pretty much end up in bad areas of town" is basically what you just said. They are just retail stores with cheaper priced goods, they have absolutely zero to do with other individuals behavior or environment that creates such behavior.

I know what you mean. Why hell, I blame the Family Dollar for the 4 deaths and 4 wounded right in downtown Buffalo, NY.

Why, incidents like this wouldn't take place if the dam Family Dollar weren't located there. :censored:

Blaming a retail business for the atmoshpere or environment in a community, or section of the community is just another excuse to remove the personal accountability of the individuals for their actions, or their parents for the lack of control (if they are inmature or under age).

This is the largest problem with this country, its always some dam lame excuse. Instead of accountability, we get messages such as what you just stated. "I don't know, stores like this pretty much end up in bad areas of town" is basically what you just said. They are just retail stores with cheaper priced goods, they have absolutely zero to do with other individuals behavior or environment that creates such behavior.

I don't know if anyone is really saying it's the store's fault. I think some people are just realistic about the unfortunately high incidence of crime that accompanies poverty.

I don't know if anyone is really saying it's the store's fault. I think some people are just realistic about the unfortunately high incidence of crime that accompanies poverty.

I don't disagree with this, but then that comes back to my point of personal accountability. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. (actual impacts of real medical conditions not withstanding of course).

I don't disagree with this, but then that comes back to my point of personal accountability. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. (actual impacts of real medical conditions not withstanding of course).

Criminals that don't get caught aren't responsible for their actions. And that's the problem. Buffalo doesn't do enough proactive policing. There are all sorts of theories and methods for crime control and prevention but Buffalo would rather just be reactionary (and they're really not good at that either). BPD is the laughing stock of WNY policing. You tell an RPD officer you're from Buffalo and they just shake their heads. Monroe sheriff's make Erie county look like criminals in uniform. And all of this is because of politics. Sorry Rez.

I'm just telling you what I observed when I was on that account. Mind you, Buffalo is not like any of the ones that are in the Deep South.

Even if it wasn't for crime or anything like that, I just cannot picture a Family Dollar or any low-end bargain chain like Dollar General being placed next to HSBC Arena. It just seems really out of place.

Criminals that don't get caught aren't responsible for their actions. And that's the problem. Buffalo doesn't do enough proactive policing. There are all sorts of theories and methods for crime control and prevention but Buffalo would rather just be reactionary (and they're really not good at that either). BPD is the laughing stock of WNY policing. You tell an RPD officer you're from Buffalo and they just shake their heads. Monroe sheriff's make Erie county look like criminals in uniform. And all of this is because of politics. Sorry Rez.

Criminals that don't get caught are still responsible for their actions. I think what you may have meant here is that they are not held accountable if they are not caught. And thats a solid point to make. But then, I've already addressed that with the statements on parenting and what role that plays. I realize it's not a perfect world, but you can clearly see the difference from 70/80 years ago to today's day and age. It has steadily progressed in a downward trend and not just on the lack of parenting, but also the community involvement on such subjects. There are or course, glimmers of hope on this as I see different groups attempting to bring this type of community shared responsibility back into the fold.

Agreed on policing and politics, and its a very bad concoction to mix. But once again, if an individual is taught right from wrong at a young age and developes the work ethic to enter society as a productive member, some of those policing policy problems get some relief of burden. Inner-City not withstanding (which is no excuse), individuals know right from wrong, they must have the inner fortitude to apply it to themselves.

I'm just telling you what I observed when I was on that account. Mind you, Buffalo is not like any of the ones that are in the Deep South.

Even if it wasn't for crime or anything like that, I just cannot picture a Family Dollar or any low-end bargain chain like Dollar General being placed next to HSBC Arena. It just seems really out of place.

I know rezlimey, I actually stated the Family Dollar as a verbal barb at Quinn. I wasn't seriously saying thats the type of industry they should bring into the waterfront. Although, I also believe, "why not" if that business is vested in the community.

From the outside, this just seems like another blown opportunity by WNY to bring some jobs to the area. Here in my neck of the woods, an Ikea opened up last year in a pretty economically depressed neighborhood and it's been a huge success. They've hired a lot of locals and business is booming.

Ikea has already shot down the idea of building a store in Buffalo.

How is poverty in Buffalo different from poverty in the South?

As for a Dollar General, while it doesn't need to go right next to the arena, there are plenty of vacant lots in downtown Buffalo that could use a big new retail store.

As for a Dollar General, while it doesn't need to go right next to the arena, there are plenty of vacant lots in downtown Buffalo that could use a big new retail store.

There are already 9 DGs in the Buffalo city proper and about the same number in the surrounding towns based on their website.

Well, since BPS has nixed everything, maybe Cabela's could come in.

As for putting a store like Family Dollar or something somewhat similar in downtown with considerable distance away from the arena, I would be receptive to that idea. I just wonder if that building that resembles stiff male genitalia (aka City Hall) would go for it.

OK, so what does just about every successful waterfront development have that Buffalo does not? A public market! Seattle has Pike Place, Boston has Quincy Market, Baltimore has Harborplace, New Orleans has the French Market. You could offer to relocate the stands from the Broadway Market or just create a brand new market. You have a variety of stands: one sells seafood, one sells chocolate, one is a restaurant, one sells cheesy gifts with buffaloes on them. If one stand goes under, you lease the space to someone else. Anyone working along Main Street can ride the train down at lunchtime. Arena crowds can shop before or after a game plus have dinner at one of the restaurants. Out-of-towners will flock to a place like this if you have at least one or two cute shops.

Some sort of amphitheater for concerts (Buffalo Rocks the Harbor?) would be great, too (Baltimore has one...)

So why is it so hard for the developers to come up with ideas like this? It isn't rocket science...

OK, so what does just about every successful waterfront development have that Buffalo does not? A public market! Seattle has Pike Place, Boston has Quincy Market, Baltimore has Harborplace, New Orleans has the French Market. You could offer to relocate the stands from the Broadway Market or just create a brand new market. You have a variety of stands: one sells seafood, one sells chocolate, one is a restaurant, one sells cheesy gifts with buffaloes on them. If one stand goes under, you lease the space to someone else. Anyone working along Main Street can ride the train down at lunchtime. Arena crowds can shop before or after a game plus have dinner at one of the restaurants. Out-of-towners will flock to a place like this if you have at least one or two cute shops.

Some sort of amphitheater for concerts (Buffalo Rocks the Harbor?) would be great, too (Baltimore has one...)

So why is it so hard for the developers to come up with ideas like this? It isn't rocket science...

One of the developers has an imagination that produced the slug. Enough said. Seriously, look at the composition of the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation. Everyday people? Historic preservationists? Artists? Musicians? Small business owners? Any young people? I see LQ, Mindy Rich, Jordan Levy, the mayor...

Slapping a Bass Pro down there and putting up a parking garage just seemed dumb from the outset.

One of the developers has an imagination that produced the slug. Enough said. Seriously, look at the composition of the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation. Everyday people? Historic preservationists? Artists? Musicians? Small business owners? Any young people? I see LQ, Mindy Rich, Jordan Levy, the mayor...

Slapping a Bass Pro down there and putting up a parking garage just seemed dumb from the outset.

I agree.

The development should be geared more towards commercial office and not commercial retail. The real development for retail should take place on the Lake Front off of Furhman Blvd.

From the outside, this just seems like another blown opportunity by WNY to bring some jobs to the area. Here in my neck of the woods, an Ikea opened up last year in a pretty economically depressed neighborhood and it's been a huge success. They've hired a lot of locals and business is booming.

Ikea won't open a store in a neighborhood that doesn't have at least 2 million population. It would be nice to have one, but they've already said no.

Well, heck - I'm no youngster, either (54 next month) but even us codgers can have a decent idea once in a while (although not the ones you mention, apparently). Now, how do I post this message? Oh, I point the pointy thing and then click the clicky thing...

Ikea won't open a store in a neighborhood that doesn't have at least 2 million population. It would be nice to have one, but they've already said no.

I wasn't advocating an Ikea specifically for Buffalo so much as saying that a new mega-store of any kind in a depressed and blighted urban location would probably be a pretty good thing for that location.

Archived