Devil of a Signing...

ntjacks79

Only 3 of those names actually played at 44 or beyond, so the rest say absolutely nothing. Hasek and Howe both bounced in and out of retirement, so I'm not sure that says much of anything either. So quickly, your list has already been reduced to just one person.

So u just proved their point that a player CAN play that long. I don't agree with it but it's not illegal under the current CBA.

So u just proved their point that a player CAN play that long. I don't agree with it but it's not illegal under the current CBA.

And it should mean something that the one single player never had a contract at that age that had been in place 15, 5, or even 5 years in advance. Really though, TW nailed it when he mentioned that the true question is whether either side has any intention of him still playing at that age under this current contract. The answer is obvious, but unfortunately common sense is probably never a legitimate legal argument.

The NHL itself set precedent when they let Pronger and Hossa, as well as Luongo go through. The NHL will once again find it difficult to prove the teams offered the contracts with an understanding the players would retire before their contracts expired, hence having the salary come off the team's cap.

The NHL itself set precedent when they let Pronger and Hossa, as well as Luongo go through. The NHL will once again find it difficult to prove the teams offered the contracts with an understanding the players would retire before their contracts expired, hence having the salary come off the team's cap.

Not Pronger. He was 35+ when that deal took effect, so they're on the hook either way.

Not Pronger. He was 35+ when that deal took effect, so they're on the hook either way.

It's still a deal let through by the NHL that goes from 7.6 million down to $525,000 over 7 years. $hit. He gets paid more now than he did when his cap number was 1.3 million higher.

Regardless of whether the team is still on the hook for the money or not, they let it through.

It's still a deal let through by the NHL that goes from 7.6 million down to $525,000 over 7 years. $hit. He gets paid more now than he did when his cap number was 1.3 million higher.

Regardless of whether the team is still on the hook for the money or not, they let it through.

That one really doesn't belong in the same category as anyone else though. He's already pretty close to his 40s. He is far more likely to play into those years than any of the late 20 year olds. The only argument against the Pronger deal is that they patched on a couple low end years to lower the cap hit, but there is a major penalty involved in that they're guaranteed of facing that cap hit for the 2-3 extra years. They tried to cheat the system and the f'ed it up.

The other deals, Hossa and Luongo are along the same lines as Kovalchuk, but it's not like the league just looked the other way on it. They explored the possibility of blocking them, but found that it wasn't going to stand. The Kovalchuk deal went way beyond the deep end with lower late year salaries and even more years of dead money. The first deals set the line for questionability and then the Devils blew that away.

That one really doesn't belong in the same category as anyone else though. He's already pretty close to his 40s. He is far more likely to play into those years than any of the late 20 year olds. The only argument against the Pronger deal is that they patched on a couple low end years to lower the cap hit, but there is a major penalty involved in that they're guaranteed of facing that cap hit for the 2-3 extra years. They tried to cheat the system and the f'ed it up.

The other deals, Hossa and Luongo are along the same lines as Kovalchuk, but it's not like the league just looked the other way on it. They explored the possibility of blocking them, but found that it wasn't going to stand. The Kovalchuk deal went way beyond the deep end with lower late year salaries and even more years of dead money. The first deals set the line for questionability and then the Devils blew that away.

Nah, Pronger is 35 and has had as many injuries/surgeries as he has yrs in the league. Kovy's had what? a sore toe? He's got plenty left especially for a guy that plays soft. Pronger will be out before Kovy.

And the bolded part is my point. They might change up the deal a bit to satisfy Bettman, but it'll still be 'the' deal.

I've got a few more contracts to add :

Franzen

Zetterberg

Savard

The NHL is just setting themselves up to make an argument in the next CBA. It'll be a shame that this little ###### that needs a contract signed for "over OV" money and on his lucky number 17 blah blah blah will screw the rest of the players that care about the game.

FTR, I'd like a reverse Kovalchuk beer contract. I'm tired of paying $7.50 for a beer at HSBC.

I propose this:

I'll pay them $2 a beer for the next 12 years.

They can raise the price to $22 a beer in 16 yrs for the remaining 5 years.

I can choose to retire from drinking in year 16.

FTR, I'd like a reverse Kovalchuk beer contract. I'm tired of paying $7.50 for a beer at HSBC.

I propose this:

I agree. In fact I would like to propose this this year when I attend games prior to buying my tickets. You think OSP will go for it?

Nah, Pronger is 35 and has had as many injuries/surgeries as he has yrs in the league. Kovy's had what? a sore toe? He's got plenty left especially for a guy that plays soft. Pronger will be out before Kovy.

And the bolded part is my point. They might change up the deal a bit to satisfy Bettman, but it'll still be 'the' deal.

You missed the point there though. Regardless of injury issues, a 35 year old is far more likely to play into his 40s than a 27 year old is. There are far too many variables in play for that 27 year old. The 35 year old is pretty close already and there are less question marks.

As for all the deals you mentioned, yes, they all suck, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The Kovalchuk deal was the perfect combination of an absurd amount of years and a very sharp drop off in money, well below even a million dollars. Most of those other deals stay above a million. The one's that don't are older guys with shorter contracts. The idea of those guys reaching the end of those contracts is far more plausible than this deal, which makes overturning those deal that much harder to be done.

I propose this:

Ahhh, using potential future alcohol poisoning as an out clause. Good thinking.

Just found this tidbit:

Team fine for cap circumvention -- if commissioner chooses to impose it -- is up to $5 million and no less than $1 million.

If the team is fined, "that club’s payroll room shall also be reduced by such amount for the following league year.

The arbitrator gives the fine, Bettman choice to impose it.

Wow.

Just found this tidbit:

Team fine for cap circumvention -- if commissioner chooses to impose it -- is up to $5 million and no less than $1 million.

If the team is fined, "that club’s payroll room shall also be reduced by such amount for the following league year.

The arbitrator gives the fine, Bettman choice to impose it.

Wow.

For once, I actually knew about a CBA provision before reading it here; I really don't think the Devs will be fined. It's 50/50 on the contract, mostly because the league should have taken action last summer.

Circumstantial is all it is. Nobody can say Kovy won't be playing at that age.

Gordie Howe was 52 when he retired.

Hasek is 45 years old and still playing in the KHL.

Chelios was 48 in his last year playing.

Lidstrom is 40 and still playing.

Brodeur, 38.

Mark Recchi, still playing age 43.

Shanahan, 41 yrs old.

Matt Schneider, 41 yrs old.

Rob Blake, 40.

and Messier, 43

My response to that is that that is (btw that's 3 that's in 4 words and all gramatically correct, pretty impressive) a list of 10 players in a league of hundreds where the average age of retirement is much younger. Also, how much were/are each of those players making in these elder years of their career.

Lidstrom is making 6.2M

Bordeur is making 5.2M

Recchi is making 1M

Rob Blake made 3.5M last year, retired this year.

Shanahan was making 2.5 M

I couldn't find Messier Hasek or Schneider and Howe was a completely different era of hockey. So, having kovalchuk making 500K at this age even if he is playing seems to be quite unrealistic.

My response to that is that that is (btw that's 3 that's in 4 words and all gramatically correct, pretty impressive) a list of 10 players in a league of hundreds where the average age of retirement is much younger. Also, how much were/are each of those players making in these elder years of their career.

Lidstrom is making 6.2M

Bordeur is making 5.2M

Recchi is making 1M

Rob Blake made 3.5M last year, retired this year.

Shanahan was making 2.5 M

I couldn't find Messier Hasek or Schneider and Howe was a completely different era of hockey. So, having kovalchuk making 500K at this age even if he is playing seems to be quite unrealistic.

Commas, my man, commas. But let's not detract from your post, which was a good one.

• 1 month later...

NY Post says if Devils keep Kovy, Zajac may be let go to fit under the cap: check it out.

He's 25, 6'2, 200", was NJ's #1 center last year, has played 4 full years in the NHL and has topped 20 goals and 60 pts for the last 2 years. He's under contract for the next 3 years at $3.9MM per year.

Would you trade Kassian and a #1 for Zajac? Maybe Pyzik & and #1?

As the article states, i think Salvador and Zubrus seem to be the first players to go. Supposedly Lou has trades already worked up incase the league approves the deal. I heard Salvador to Dallas.

That's because he is proactive rather then reactive.

As the article states, i think Salvador and Zubrus seem to be the first players to go. Supposedly Lou has trades already worked up incase the league approves the deal. I heard Salvador to Dallas.

Zajac would be a lot easier to move since teams would actually want him. I don't think it's too likely, but his value is through the roof right now and I wouldn't blame Lou if he wanted to cash out on that.

Zajac would be a lot easier to move since teams would actually want him. I don't think it's too likely, but his value is through the roof right now and I wouldn't blame Lou if he wanted to cash out on that.

True, however, if they run into a road block trading players that they don't want (or Salvador or Zubs dont waive their no-trade clause) i think the guy they will try to deal is Jamie Langenbrunner. A great leader and a great fit for the Sabres IMO, who also has a no trade clause. However, he's a UFA after the season and even if they deal other pieces, they may have a tough time re-signing him so it'd be killing two birds with one stone if they can trade him now.

Archived