A Player Per Day: No. 44: Andrej Sekera

Eleven

31 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I like him. He's got potential, and like some others on this team, would be better suited with a "longer leash". I find it hard to believe he's only physical once in a while. Most will know what I'm getting at...

Meh. He didn't really impress this year with the Sabres, although he did do well at the Olympics. Is it just me or did he play much better when Spacho was around? Maybe Reggie needs another countryman on the team, but I think I'd rather see him traded for something of value than have him as a part-time benchwarmer.

i gave butler a 4, so i will also give "reggie" a 4. (as ink has said, why reggie? why not dre'? such a missed opportunity. the event staff could've pumped the chronic whenever he scored or had a strong play in his own zone.)

both of these guys, in different ways, have shown enough to warrant a reasonable opportunity to make it work. time's running out, but i have hope for both.

I do not believe the Sabres have another player whose first name ends with the letter J.

in their history, even (?)

(as ink has said, why reggie? why not dre'? such a missed opportunity. the event staff could've pumped the chronic whenever he scored or had a strong play in his own zone.)

Like 11 said, he's the only guy with a J at the end of his name. You have to take advantage of that.

Meh. He didn't really impress this year with the Sabres, although he did do well at the Olympics. Is it just me or did he play much better when Spacho was around? Maybe Reggie needs another countryman on the team, but I think I'd rather see him traded for something of value than have him as a part-time benchwarmer.

Jaro is a Czech, Reggie is Slovak. He has potential as you said he played very physical in Vancouver, came back to Buffalo and returned to be soft.

Jaro is a Czech, Reggie is Slovak. He has potential as you said he played very physical in Vancouver, came back to Buffalo and returned to be soft.

He was playing physically before Vancouver (I'm feeling lazy, but I pulled up the thread that I noted this in before the Olympics the last time somebody said that he only did it there.) He did a little after he returned, but made some defensive mistakes and found himself in the pressbox.

:oops: my bad! I don't know why I was thinking they were from the same country.

IMO, Sekera has had more than ample opportunity to prove himself as a top pair d-man, and he just hasn't. And we have alot of bottom pairing d-men already.

Precisly.

Which is why i cant stand this guy. I would straight up dump him for no return. I dont care. I'm tired of all the potential talk. He's had over 2 seasons to prove himself. Has has failed. Horribly, i must say. The organization has wasted precious time with this kid, that could've been given to another player.

He isn't that great on the offensive side of things, which is supposed to be his upside. He's terrible in his own end. He's probably laid out 3 big checks in his entire carrer. He makes bad pinches about 70 percent of the time. He reads plays very poorly. The only positives to me are, his skating speed, agility, and passing.

It'll all work out once Gragnani works him out of the picture in training camp.

Key word is work. Something Sekera fails to do.

Flashes of brilliance. Also, flashes of dismal failure.

From a young defenseman, imagine that!

He is a keeper. Great skater, great hands, just needs more seasoning. NHL defensman take years to develop and this kid has all the tools. When people say he is too small I think of the Philly d-man whose name is spelled something like Kemo Temonin. Wow, that's bad, but I don't feel like looking it up :oops:

IMO, Sekera has had more than ample opportunity to prove himself as a top pair d-man, and he just hasn't. And we have alot of bottom pairing d-men already.

NHL defensemen take many years to develop. Other teams would just love it if we dumped this guy. He wouldn't stay on waivers very long

NHL defensemen take many years to develop. Other teams would just love it if we dumped this guy. He wouldn't stay on waivers very long

You're not wrong, he MIGHT develop into something special as he gets older. The way I see it, the way alot of our cheaper guys, aside from Sekera and Butler, stepped up and took their games to a next level, and with alot of people believing that guys like Weber and Gragniani are without a doubt ready for the NHL, it seems smart to think about using Sekera and Butler in trade packages that can utilize their widely-believed potentials to fatten a deal that gets us a star center for Vanek and Pominville and maybe even a top 3 defenseman.

He's fragile and is'nt given the same opportunity to make and learn from his mistakes as others are which messes up his confidence.Has real potential offensively and jumps into the play but lacks in defensive areas which makes it easier for Ruff to sit him.

Archived