Trade Proposals - Pony up yours here

static70

I'll kick it off with some outlandish ones.

To Buf

Eric Stall

2nd rd pick

To Car

Ryan Miller

3rd and 5th rd picks

To Buf

Nathan Horton

To Fla

Tim Connolly

Nathan Gerbe

Theres your Center and RWer for Vanek or Ennis, take your pick at LW.

Is there value here? If not, whats your thoughts on possible targets?

To Buf

Eric Stall

2nd rd pick

To Car

Ryan Miller

3rd and 5th rd picks

To Buf

Nathan Horton

To Fla

Tim Connolly

Nathan Gerbe

I really like what you're trying to do here. I would love it if Jhonas Enroth was ready to play goal in the NHL. Do you think he is? If so, Darcy should be burning the phone lines trying to do exactly this kind of thing.

I really like what you're trying to do here. I would love it if Jhonas Enroth was ready to play goal in the NHL. Do you think he is? If so, Darcy should be burning the phone lines trying to do exactly this kind of thing.

I am not sure ntjacks, I was trying to go for fair value and at the same time bring in needed components to build on some of the current roster.

Ryan Millers stock is at an all time high right now. Is Enroth ready? He looked good when I saw him in Portland late in the season. I know we will need to sign another goalie, my choice is Biron and let him and Enroth split time between the pipes.

I didn't address a trade for a D man, but I want others to contribute to the thread and I can learn volumes on what others think fair value would be. Some may be off the wall, but I am hoping many board members contribute without arguing the small stuff so we can all see what might be a good fit here in Buffalo for the team.

I am not sure ntjacks, I was trying to go for fair value and at the same time bring in needed components to build on some of the current roster.

Ryan Millers stock is at an all time high right now. Is Enroth ready? He looked good when I saw him in Portland late in the season. I know we will need to sign another goalie, my choice is Biron and let him and Enroth split time between the pipes.

I didn't address a trade for a D man, but I want others to contribute to the thread and I can learn volumes on what others think fair value would be. Some may be off the wall, but I am hoping many board members contribute without arguing the small stuff so we can all see what might be a good fit here in Buffalo for the team.

Exactly why would Carolina want Miller when they have Ward who beat Miller in playoffs?

I hate fantasy trade threads!

To Buf

Eric Stall

2nd rd pick

To Car

Ryan Miller

3rd and 5th rd picks

To Buf

Nathan Horton

To Fla

Tim Connolly

Nathan Gerbe

i want to punch you.

NO ONE NOT NAMED OVECHKIN, CROSBY OR REINCARNATION OF GRETZKY IS WORTH MILLER

Exactly why would Carolina want Miller when they have Ward who beat Miller in playoffs?

I hate fantasy trade threads!

Lets look at value tom, not the fantasy line you bring up. Eric Staal for Ryan Miller is value, especially considering the amount Carolina could get in return for Miller in a trade in younger assets from other viable trading partners. Consider it a proportional rebuild from them. If you look at Carolina's current situation, they lack the stable of young talent to come in and make an impact immediately, trading for Miller then trading him brings in quite a bit.

There are teams out there right now looking for a stud goalie to elevate them, and to me in any event, right now, with Millers value, Carolina could do much better in a return for Miller as opposed to Staal.

i want to punch you.

Well, swing away.

My view on Miller is based on fact, not on emotion. He had a good season last season prior to the injury by Gomez. He had a good season this season up until the begginning/middle of Jan.

Is Ryan Miller an elite goalie? In my opinion he is ranked roughly number 7 or 8 in the league currently.

Did he make enough of an impact to steal a series in the playoffs? No.

Did he make enough of an impact in the regular season to be a very tradable commodity? Yes.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are much better goalies in the league than Miller. He is good, very good, but not in the top 5, so to make a statement such as Ovie or Crosby just doesn't hold water. Crosby beat Miller in the OT to give Canada Gold, Crosby has owned Miller these last few years, same as Ovie, therefore, the conclusion is that Miller's value is not as high as their value is.

I heard this same line of thought about Hasek and other teams as well about thier goalies. It doesn't hold water, lets just look at value. here.

Lets look at value tom, not the fantasy line you bring up. Eric Staal for Ryan Miller is value, especially considering the amount Carolina could get in return for Miller in a trade in younger assets from other viable trading partners. Consider it a proportional rebuild from them. If you look at Carolina's current situation, they lack the stable of young talent to come in and make an impact immediately, trading for Miller then trading him brings in quite a bit.

There are teams out there right now looking for a stud goalie to elevate them, and to me in any event, right now, with Millers value, Carolina could do much better in a return for Miller as opposed to Staal.

Well, swing away.

My view on Miller is based on fact, not on emotion. He had a good season last season prior to the injury by Gomez. He had a good season this season up until the begginning/middle of Jan.

Is Ryan Miller an elite goalie? In my opinion he is ranked roughly number 7 or 8 in the league currently.

Did he make enough of an impact in the regular season to be a very tradable commodity? Yes.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are much better goalies in the league than Miller. He is good, very good, but not in the top 5, so to make a statement such as Ovie or Crosby just doesn't hold water. Crosby beat Miller in the OT to give Canada Gold, Crosby has owned Miller these last few years, same as Ovie, therefore, the conclusion is that Miller's value is not as high as their value is.

I heard this same line of thought about Hasek and other teams as well about thier goalies. It doesn't hold water, lets just look at value. here.

So Carolina is going to trade a bright young star for a goalie they don't need in order to package said goalie for pospects?

So Carolina is going to trade a bright young star for a goalie they don't need in order to package said goalie for pospects?

Perhaps not prospects, perhaps existing NHL young talent with prospects/picks. This is just nit picking semantics on your part in my opinion. Pony up your potential trades. This is why I stated lets avoid bantering back and forth on the small stuff. You have your view, I have mine.

The thread I started though, is more on the value side of trades, trying to keep it even keeled to such an extent that we can as fans.

Well, swing away.

Yeah let's look at value. Vezina Candidate, Olympic MVP Top 3 in every goalie statistical category, including I believe, leading sv% which is the best stat you have for determining a goalies ability to stop the puck since it's shots faced, shots stopped. TSN has him ranked as the 5th best player in the entire league, including 1st among goalies.

So right now, I would love to hear your take on who the better goalies in the league are? Cam Ward? Cuz he won a cup right.. So what you're saying is you'd trade Cam Ward for Ryan Miller straight up, so why would Carolina even want Miller. Maybe you mean Nabakov cuz he's still in the playoff mix right now, sure he got pounded by Canada in the olympics and he's lost in the first round for like the last 4 years in a row in the NHL playoffs.. oh no no, you're talking about Nietti right? That guy.. for chicago... who i'm sure.. they didn't start Huet over... Let's straight up trade for him, or maybe we can throw in stafford and that'll pursuade them. Halak? Rask? Rookies man, ya never know. COuld be Roy, Could be Ward, the risk you take. But I say let's trade Miller and a 1st to montreal for Halak and Gorges. YEAH!

No but seriously, what goalies do you think are better than Miller?

None taken SwampD, I would think these types of threads would not be considered fools hopes, but more along the lines of what the fan base feels about players, their worth to the organization, both long term and short term and the ability to put fair value for those players on the table. As the NHL off season has shown in the past, players are merely commodities.

My choice for trade/trades was an effort to better the team. Some people tend to have player loyalty, and thats fine, its good to have heros, even I did it (Gilbert Perreault). But, over the years, I would love for our Sabres to win a Cup. I am not advocating my choices are right or wrong, thats why I am trying to avoid the squabble over this or that.

I am merely looking at the teams needs and looking for fair value within reason, this being said, Staal for Miller and some picks or player/prospect mix would, in my view, be fair value.

To gregkash,

As far as goalies go, I look at careers, both past and present as well as the potential future of that goalie.

Better Goalies than Miller in my opinion,

Rask (who would have had similiar numbers to Miller with the same amount of games if sound reasoning is used)

Bryzgalov (who I consider Millers equal, but he does not go down nearly as often as Miller, slight advantage)

Luongo (who has a better playoff performance than Miller)

Vokoun (Who plays on an even less adequate defensive front than Miller and still puts up very good numbers)

Kiprusoff (Once again, his past playoff performances and seasons are on par with Miller, stays up more to cover the net)

Halak (showing dominance, focus and leadership well beyond Miller ever has)

Howard (young, aggressive style that shows great agility and promise, well ahead of Miller on the development curve)

I didn't mention Broduer, he will probably retire in the next year or 2 and there are a few more goalies who are on par with Miller.

Does this in any way take away from what Ryan has accomplished these last couple of seasons? No. He has done his job in the midst of a team re-organizing and some young and less than adequate defensive players in front of him.

Does that mean I keep Miller no matter what? Absolutely not, Ryan Miller "will not" carry this team to a Stanley Cup, I base that statement on his current level of play. He can be a large part of the possibility of a Cup, but not the focus.

Miller IS NO Hasek.

We need components on the front end of the team. To garner what we need Ryan Miller would make an exceptional value piece to bring in the pieces.

Is it a risk? Letting a top 10 goalie go for front end talent? Sure, but no more a risk than not doing so.

None taken SwampD, I would think these types of threads would not be considered fools hopes, but more along the lines of what the fan base feels about players, their worth to the organization, both long term and short term and the ability to put fair value for those players on the table. As the NHL off season has shown in the past, players are merely commodities.

My choice for trade/trades was an effort to better the team. Some people tend to have player loyalty, and thats fine, its good to have heros, even I did it (Gilbert Perreault). But, over the years, I would love for our Sabres to win a Cup. I am not advocating my choices are right or wrong, thats why I am trying to avoid the squabble over this or that.

I am merely looking at the teams needs and looking for fair value within reason, this being said, Staal for Miller and some picks or player/prospect mix would, in my view, be fair value.

To gregkash,

As far as goalies go, I look at careers, both past and present as well as the potential future of that goalie.

Rask (who would have had similiar numbers to Miller with the same amount of games if sound reasoning is used)

Bryzgalov (who I consider Millers equal, but he does not go down nearly as often as Miller, slight advantage)

Vokoun (Who plays on an even less adequate defensive front than Miller and still puts up very good numbers)

Kiprusoff (Once again, his past playoff performances and seasons are on par with Miller, stays up more to cover the net)

Howard (young, aggressive style that shows great agility and promise, well ahead of Miller on the development curve)

I didn't mention Broduer, he will probably retire in the next year or 2 and there are a few more goalies who are on par with Miller.

Does this in any way take away from what Ryan has accomplished these last couple of seasons? No. He has done his job in the midst of a team re-organizing and some young and less than adequate defensive players in front of him.

Does that mean I keep Miller no matter what? Absolutely not, Ryan Miller "will not" carry this team to a Stanley Cup, I base that statement on his current level of play. He can be a large part of the possibility of a Cup, but not the focus.

Miller IS NO Hasek.

We need components on the front end of the team. To garner what we need Ryan Miller would make an exceptional value piece to bring in the pieces.

Is it a risk? Letting a top 10 goalie go for front end talent? Sure, but no more a risk than not doing so.

I should clarify, I don't hate these threads for what they are and the people participating in them are not fools. I hate them because of the way they make me feel.

I think about all the players that could help this team and know we're not going to get any of them, or if we do, our coach will mold him into what he wants instead of figuring out a way to use him best. When I hear people on this site go in depth explaining how a perennial 40 goal scorer would not be good for this team I just know that nothing is going to change.

Next year will have the same coach coaching the same players to the same results and it pisses me off.

It's funny, normally I'm really angry as soon as we are eliminated and then it goes away little by little. This year, right after our last game, I felt nothing, but the further and further we get from the season the more angry I am getting. Gonna have to change my sig.

When I hear people on this site go in depth explaining how a perennial 40 goal scorer would not be good for this team I just know that nothing is going to change.

Nothing said on this board has anything to do with whether or not anything changes. We could all agree that the roster needs to be blown up and boycott until it is, and nothing would change, because there aren't enough of us to make a difference.

i want to punch you.

Not Miller by himself. Maybe if you package other players with Miller you could get a really nice return.

Is it crazy to think that years from now some posters here will refer to Miller actually winning the Olympic gold medal?

Miller had a great year. I may have been the first to mention him as a possible league MVP. Let's not kid ourselves. He is one of the better goalies in the league. That said, he is nowhere near untouchable.

Nothing said on this board has anything to do with whether or not anything changes. We could all agree that the roster needs to be blown up and boycott until it is, and nothing would change, because there aren't enough of us to make a difference.

We are agreeing. This board is a barometer of the fan base as a whole. If someone who knows hockey and cares about it enough to come on a massage board is content with the Status quo policies of management, then what does that say about the rest of the fans. It may not bring about change, but it is a bullhorn screaming in my ear that there won't be any.

Connolly to Columbus for Umberger.

The Sabres finally rid themselves of Connolly possibly purging the need for Regier to hold on too tightly to his own players and get a decent third line center (52% on 700 faceoffs) in return. Columbus gets a "play-maker" to play along Nash, at least for a short while.

Derrick Roy to Calgary for Robyn Regehr.

Even money wise. Calgary's leading center last year had 37 points. With other holes to fill Calgary may not be able to afford to big time in FA market. Buffalo needs a lot of help for Myers on the blueline.

Drew Stafford to Los Angeles for rights to negotiate with Frolov before July 1st.

Even if the Sabres can't sign Frolov they rid themselves of a useless part.

The Sabres finally rid themselves of Connolly possibly purging the need for Regier to hold on too tightly to his own players and get a decent third line center (52% on 700 faceoffs) in return. Columbus gets a "play-maker" to play along Nash, at least for a short while.

Even money wise. Calgary's leading center last year had 37 points. With other holes to fill Calgary may not be able to afford to big time in FA market. Buffalo needs a lot of help for Myers on the blueline.

Drew Stafford to Los Angeles for rights to negotiate with Frolov before July 1st.

Even if the Sabres can't sign Frolov they rid themselves of a useless part.

I love the first idea, hate the second, and would rather find someone else than Frolov on the third, but I definitely get the point and don't hate the idea.

Static, I think Miller might be better than most of the goalies you mentioned, but I don't think that makes him untradeable. Very much to the contrary, actually; I think if real value is there; i.e., a good goalie and a really good skater, the Sabres should pull the trigger. But had better be a great deal; i.e., if you want my best player, you had better either gimme yours (not preferable) or two who are very freaking good (preferable).

We are agreeing. This board is a barometer of the fan base as a whole. If someone who knows hockey and cares about it enough to come on a massage board is content with the Status quo policies of management, then what does that say about the rest of the fans. It may not bring about change, but it is a bullhorn screaming in my ear that there won't be any.

I see, so we are an upper bound on dissent. I'll buy that.

Not saying that any of your moves are bad, but who would you have playing center on the two scoring lines next year? You say that R.J. is a good third-line center, but unless you acquire one or two, you are picking two top centers from: R.J., Goose, Hecht, Kennedy, Ennis (hasn't played a game at center in the NHL), or someone else from Portland. As much as you may dislike Roy and Connolly, I guarantee you that choosing both from that list would be worse.

To gregkash,

Miller IS NO Hasek.

You can't be serious with that list

Rask was given away by the Leafs and didn't even play the full year as a starter, he had to let tim Thomas play his way out of the position to take it over. He has one good PARTIAL season, with stats comparible to Miller, and you say he is a better goalie cause he didn't get to play the same amount of games? Lets also leave out the fact that he [plays behind a defensive team that as a whole, is better then Buffalo. If you actually look at there stats in the series, they were pretty close to being identical. If you watched the series, you would have seen that Rask wasn't tested as much as Miller was. Unfortunatly the fans here only look at the win column to determine which goalie is better, in a TEAM sport.

Bryzgalov I won't argue with, he had an incredible year and has had good years previously, playing on a mediocre team.

Luongo had a better playoff performance? Why? cause his TEAM made it to the second round? Get your sports info from Canadian sports sites and they are debating on weither Luongo can lead a team in the playoffs and Canucks fans are almost ready to toss him away

Vokoun is good, but I wouldn't say better, if he was, the Panthers would be a playoff team

Kiprusoff is also a good goalie, one of the leagues better goalies, but again, on a better team, he couldn't lead them to the playoffs. The only thing Kipper has going for him thats better then Miller is that he plays maybe a couple more games a season. Like Brodeur, he starts almost all their games

Halak? Besides the last 2 series, the Canadians have been going back and forth with who they should keep as their starter cause neither have shown they can be better then the other. Now in 2 games he has been pulled (for the second time this playoffs)and given up around 7 goals to Philly.

Howard????? You realise that he is 26 right now in his first full year in the NHL compared to Miller who is turning 30 in July. Howard may or may not have potential, but he is not better.

No, Miller is not Hasek, no goalie is hasek, he was something very special that the league might not see again for along time.

I seriously hope that Regier follows the advice of the "armchair GM's" on this board and deal him away, then the fans can see just how much of the success the Sabres have had came from having a top level goaltender and Miller can go off and win a bunch ofcups for teams with fans that would actually see what kind of player he is.

Not Miller by himself. Maybe if you package other players with Miller you could get a really nice return.

Is it crazy to think that years from now some posters here will refer to Miller actually winning the Olympic gold medal?

Miller had a great year. I may have been the first to mention him as a possible league MVP. Let's not kid ourselves. He is one of the better goalies in the league. That said, he is nowhere near untouchable.

No player is "untouchable", for the right price, you could pry Ovechkin away from Washington or Crosby from Pittsburgh. Gretzky was traded, Hasek was traded near the end of his prime, so was Roy, any one can be. It doesn't mean its a smart move or it should be done, unless you want to continually spin your wheels and tread water.

Miller has been one of the better goalies the last few years and means more to the Sabres success then any other player on this team

Archived