ESPN SportsCenter hockey coverage

LabattBlue

I couldn't sleep last night, so at 2AM this morning I tune into SportsCenter to watch some highlights. Normally I don't watch at all, because the talking heads have become way too annoying. Anyways, I'm watching to see when they get to the hockey highlights. About 45 minutes into the program, they show 2 goals from the Det v. LA game and right after that about 30 seconds of Barry Melrose talking about the winners and losers at the trade deadline. That's it for hockey. No scores, no highlights of any other game.

I know ESPN lost the NHL contract, but do they have to act like the NHL doesn't exist anymore? I saw preseason baseball highlights, I saw recaps of what they reported at the beginning of the program & highlights from each and every conference basketball tournament big and small.

Here's the kicker...the top 10 plays of the day featured no hockey. Did anyone at ESPN happen to notice Miller's save on St. Louis?

What a joke they have become! :angry:

I couldn't sleep last night, so at 2AM this morning I tune into SportsCenter to watch some highlights. Normally I don't watch at all, because the talking heads have become way too annoying. Anyways, I'm watching to see when they get to the hockey highlights. About 45 minutes into the program, they show 2 goals from the Det v. LA game and right after that about 30 seconds of Barry Melrose talking about the winners and losers at the trade deadline. That's it for hockey. No scores, no highlights of any other game.

I know ESPN lost the NHL contract, but do they have to act like the NHL doesn't exist anymore? I saw preseason baseball highlights, I saw recaps of what they reported at the beginning of the program & highlights from each and every conference basketball tournament big and small.

Here's the kicker...the top 10 plays of the day featured no hockey. Did anyone at ESPN happen to notice Miller's save on St. Louis?

You know I noticed something similar here on the local news. After the Rangers/Thrashers shootout, I was flipping through the channels. WABC showed one goal from regulation and the shootout winner. I then flipped up to WCBS, and they showed the shootout winner, and went to 2-3 minutes of highlights from the Knicks charity bowling torunament. Pathetic.

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that ESPN will probably be all over the NHL highlights when the playoffs roll in. So their standpoint is to almost ignore the fact that hockey is back during the regular season, and when things get interesting, they'll show some highlights in an effort to boost ratings.

Remember the days of NHL 2nite? Seems like centuries ago...

Remember the days of NHL 2nite? Seems like centuries ago...

Every now and then you can catch Barry Melrose and John Buccigross on ESPNews at night, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they are on. If they do appear for a segment, it is usually around 10PM or so coinciding with the end of the early games.

The other thing I hate about them lately is when they do show hockey for more than two seconds it when the Sabres have the night off. So I never get to see any Sabres hockey, unless I go to a Flordai Panters when there intown. It sucks.

I'd reccomend getting Center Ice. Definately worth every penny.

I read somewhere(it might have been over at TBD) that in the past they have had an offer during the last quarter of the season, where you get the rest of this year free, if you sign up for next year at the full price.

Anybody ever hear of this or know if they will offer it this year?

ESPN's obsession with bounceyball is borderline disgusting. What's the point of a top 10 when all 10 dunks look identical?

Even though the league is doing well now, I still fear for the future of the NHL. The American public is nothing more than a bunch of sheep. They would like the game if they actually watched, but unfortunately, the media is telling them not to watch it.

ESPN's obsession with bounceyball is borderline disgusting. What's the point of a top 10 when all 10 dunks look identical?

Even though the league is doing well now, I still fear for the future of the NHL. The American public is nothing more than a bunch of sheep. They would like the game if they actually watched, but unfortunately, the media is telling them not to watch it.

One thing that Hockey has going for it is fan loyalty. That and it is a great game.

I haven't watched a full NBA game since 2001-02 and that is because someone gave me the tickets.

Isn't that for Direct TV. All I have is Adelphia basic cable.

CI is available to cable systems. I don't know if you need to have digital cable to get it. Call your cable company. Or better yet, get DirecTV or Dish. Adelphia killed Empire when they didn't have to, so tell them to @%$^*@E( themselves. I've had DTV for about 4 years now and love it.

DTV has CI for 1/2 price currently and like someone mentioned, it the past they have had a sign up for next year and get the end of the season / playoffs for very cheap.

One thing that Hockey has going for it is fan loyalty. That and it is a great game.

I haven't watched a full NBA game since 2001-02 and that is because someone gave me the tickets.

I haven't been to an NBA game since the Braves left town in '78. I don't expect that I will ever be at another one.

It is wild that you brought this up. I woke up early to work out, and I was watching the 6AM edition, and I thought the same thing. With all of the last-minute trades, and everything, there was no coverage except for 20 seconds of the Wings-Kings game and then a couple of minutes of Barry Melrose assessing the trades.

They showed highlights of Spring Training baseball before covering the NHL action, for God's sake. I think it was around then that I just gave up and turned it off. I'm glad I live here in Rochester, because otherwise I would probably not even realize that the Sabres existed.

Dish Network doesn't have the CI contract, just DirecTV.

CI is great for watching the games, but still doesn't give any access to pre-post game shows.

Fox Sports radio has also gotten like ESPN. They'll run down all the sports scores in their updates, and MIGHT throw in a hockey score or two... if they think about it. But more often not......

Dish Network doesn't have the CI contract, just DirecTV.

CI is great for watching the games, but still doesn't give any access to pre-post game shows.

Fox Sports radio has also gotten like ESPN. They'll run down all the sports scores in their updates, and MIGHT throw in a hockey score or two... if they think about it. But more often not......

You sure about that?

Link

It is wild that you brought this up. I woke up early to work out, and I was watching the 6AM edition, and I thought the same thing. With all of the last-minute trades, and everything, there was no coverage except for 20 seconds of the Wings-Kings game and then a couple of minutes of Barry Melrose assessing the trades.

They didn't even bother mentioning any of the trades on the bottom line score tracker thing. It said for all trade information, check out espn.com. I can understand not mentioning some of the trades, but deals like Recchi, Samsonov, and a few of the others should be listed. People should not have to walk away from the tv to get their updates. Stupid espn. Next time I see something like that, I'll change the station before I go find my updates.

They didn't even bother mentioning any of the trades on the bottom line score tracker thing. It said for all trade information, check out espn.com. I can understand not mentioning some of the trades, but deals like Recchi, Samsonov, and a few of the others should be listed. People should not have to walk away from the tv to get their updates. Stupid espn. Next time I see something like that, I'll change the station before I go find my updates.

It's not just that.... the blind have to listen to get their news, and I know of at least a few that are on the Sabres list-serv. A box in the corner of the tv doesn't do them much good.

I had this similar argument with the Sabres a few weeks ago about their broadcasts.....

whenever i can i've been watching the games on comcast's web site. it is only for comcast cable internet subscribers but the quality of the audio and video are excellent by net standards. there are only 7 games left but they are all good matchups.

for the other big games, i've been going to downtown denver to watch, LoDos Bar and Grill on Market St in case any colorado sabres fans want to join me. check http://www.coloradobills.com/forum for our next game

last, i'll listen to the game on the net. even though it pales to watching the game, RJ's calls still send my drink flying and cause me to occasionally rearrange my furniture :) it's tough being an outta town fan but worth the trouble especially while the sabres keep winning

Yes, but it would be even better if they included the pre-and-post game shows for each game. They ought to consider a "Power Play" channel, like the NFL Sunday Ticket "Red Zone" channel, switching to games whne teams enter the red zone.

PTR

Archived