I wonder what Miller was thinking waiting at center ice for the handshake?

LabattBlue

Miller is in the prime of his career and it appears the team is still spinning its wheels despite his improved play this year. I wonder if he has the stones to go to Regier/Quinn/Ruff and demand that some of the slackers be removed from the team, and if not, demand a trade.

I think it was Grier that finally lined up behind him, but for what seemed like an eternity Miller stood alone at the center ice dot.

Miller will demand a trade if things are handled according to the status quo. I did not and cannot blame Dom when he wanted a trade to put his name on Lord Stanleys Cup.

The same can be said of Miller. People will say things like he has to much class to do that and so on. But at the end of the day, players play the game to win the Cup, if Buffalo doesn't change its ways, Miller will change his jersey, in a heart beat, you can take that to the bank.

Miller is in the prime of his career and it appears the team is still spinning its wheels despite his improved play this year. I wonder if he has the stones to go to Regier/Quinn/Ruff and demand that some of the slackers be removed from the team, and if not, demand a trade.

I think it was Grier that finally lined up behind him, but for what seemed like an eternity Miller stood alone at the center ice dot.

I find it quite symbolic that he stood there alone as he seemed to do for most of the year. My first thought is that I am glad to have such an excellent young man on my favorite team. I only hope that he continues to play with the same fire an intensity. Its never easy to lose, it's even harder to lose and show as much class as he does.

I was too angry to watch this. Very expensive TV's were in big danger. But I find this very interesting. Can you describe the situation/scene a little more?

I was too angry to watch this. Very expensive TV's were in big danger. But I find this very interesting. Can you describe the situation/scene a little more?

Immediately after the final horn, the Bruins skated over to Rask for their congratulations/celebration. While they all did that, Miller was the first to jump off the Sabres bench and skate to center ice and wait for the traditional handshake. He stood there by himself for several seconds until Grier joined him, then everyone else.

Rick Jeanneret made a comment about how you can tell who the leader of this team is, referring to Miller. Couldn't agree with him more...and wonderbread hit the nail on the head - very symbolic how Ryan was there by himself, kind of how he was all year long.

While the Boston players were still around Rask, and Connolly and his chip strip buddies were making plans for the weekend, Miller skated to the center ice dot by himself waiting for the handshake to begin. It was probably only 5 to 10 seconds, but I really felt for him.

I have no way of knowing, but I just get the impression that some of these guys just don't have the ultimate goal in mind.

I don't know how much I want to lionize Ryan today -- the man standing alone, the wind blowing into his face, the lone rock of Gibraltar upon which...

He was outplayed by Rask. He played well, for sure. But he wasn't at the very top of his game. 2.34 against the league's worst offense? Not good enough. Sorry. (And please don't tell me how many great saves he made. That goes without saying for almost any goalie.)

I am a newbee to this board, but it looked like nothing more than he just wanted to get it over with and get the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of there.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. He wanted out of there just like he wanted out at the Olympics. I really can't read much in terms of leadership out of a guy getting to the handshake line early.

I am a newbee to this board, but it looked like nothing more than he just wanted to get it over with and get the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of there.

We all love Miller and that tends to make us romanticize events a little bit. Especially with broken hearts. But I think you are dead on correct in thinking Miller just wanted to get the F off the ice and get it over with.

GO SABRES!!!

I feel really bad for this guy.. He has had one of the best seasons of his career and really got NOTHING out of it. I felt bad watching him win the silver because he deserved the gold. He also deserves the cup. Now I agree also that some serious changes need to be made! Trades, ect. Keep Miller on Buffalo. All Miller wants to do is win and we need that, he has one of the most positive attitudes. It breaks my heart to see that half the team don't have the kind of mentality that he brings to the ice. I want a Stanley Cup in Buffalo...

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. He wanted out of there just like he wanted out at the Olympics. I really can't read much in terms of leadership out of a guy getting to the handshake line early.

IMHO I truly feel Miller literally needed 10 seconds to himself because he was too disgusted to look at 95% of his teammates. It was a combo of that, wanting to get the heck outta there, and being the leader that he is.

Same here. I smashed my remote to bits against my refrigerator, a box of saltines against my sink, a box of frosted flakes against the wall, a milk carton against the garbage bin, haha, the list goes on.

I only reach this level of rage in my life for Sabres playoffs, it's odd, nothing else infuriates me so much to get to this level. I literally wanted to jump through the t.v. and drag Connolly off the ice so he couldn't do any more damage.

Same here. I smashed my remote to bits against my refrigerator, a box of saltines against my sink, a box of frosted flakes against the wall, a milk carton against the garbage bin, haha, the list goes on.

I only reach this level of rage in my life for Sabres playoffs, it's odd, nothing else infuriates me so much to get to this level. I literally wanted to jump through the t.v. and drag Connolly off the ice so he couldn't do any more damage.

This one should have driven me crazy, especially since I live in Boston, but it didn't bug me at all. I think I've finally moved past that live and die by the team way of life. Yeah, it's my team, but at the end of the day, it's just entertainment and there will always be more.

This one should have driven me crazy, especially since I live in Boston, but it didn't bug me at all. I think I've finally moved past that live and die by the team way of life. Yeah, it's my team, but at the end of the day, it's just entertainment and there will always be more.

That's not a bad philosophy. OSP and LQ will ignore the entertainment factor to their peril. There are some serious warning signs about the fan base, despite the sellouts and Parties in the Plaza. A mausoleum atmosphere in the arena (cited by numerous media members, even Rick himself) and declining TV ratings are two of them.

A new GM and coach, a new style, a new regime, old players with a new attitude and some new players, would be pretty entertaining in the fall. A lot of elements for success are there. The beaker just needs to be shaken.

IMHO I truly feel Miller literally needed 10 seconds to himself because he was too disgusted to look at 95% of his teammates. It was a combo of that, wanting to get the heck outta there, and being the leader that he is.

Leadership is also making those 2-0 leads stand up.

Leadership is also making those 2-0 leads stand up.

Which would be easier if the rest of the team didn't immediately start coasting once they got the 2-0 lead.

Miller is the least of the Sabres problems. He's the only reason they survived Game 1 (anyone remember that nightmare of a second period?).

Our powerplay just went zero for the series. Let's talk about that. Or how about how most of our goals came from third and fourth liners, or some kids we brought up from the minors?

I don't know how much I want to lionize Ryan today -- the man standing alone, the wind blowing into his face, the lone rock of Gibraltar upon which...

He was outplayed by Rask. He played well, for sure. But he wasn't at the very top of his game. 2.34 against the league's worst offense? Not good enough. Sorry. (And please don't tell me how many great saves he made. That goes without saying for almost any goalie.)

+1

Bottom line is he did get outplayed, and that doesn't cut it.

Yes it's a team game, but Miller wasn't making the saves when the team needed him to. You can't blow 2 - 0 leads twice in a series. He is their best player and he knew that the PP was a joke, so he needed to be better than Rask. He wasn't. Sadly.

That's not a bad philosophy. OSP and LQ will ignore the entertainment factor to their peril. There are some serious warning signs about the fan base, despite the sellouts and Parties in the Plaza. A mausoleum atmosphere in the arena (cited by numerous media members, even Rick himself) and declining TV ratings are two of them.

A new GM and coach, a new style, a new regime, old players with a new attitude and some new players, would be pretty entertaining in the fall. A lot of elements for success are there. The beaker just needs to be shaken.

Damn, agreeing with you twice in the same thread. Yikes.

I think the boys need a new voice. It's clear to me that Ruff is an excellent coach, but his voice has rang in the same ears for too long. It's time for change.

Well I say this to anyone who will feel like joining me. Time to jump on the Sabres expansion cousins bandwagon and cheer on the Canucks.

At least now I don't have to worry about a Sabre/Canuck final.

I'm glad you said almost any goalie, because I never once in this series saw Rask have to make the saves Ryan had to. They never tested him once. Rask wasn't better than Miller, but the Bruins were definitely better than the Sabres.

I'm glad you said almost any goalie, because I never once in this series saw Rask have to make the saves Ryan had to. They never tested him once. Rask wasn't better than Miller, but the Bruins were definitely better than the Sabres.

That diving save he made on Grier is highlight material, but other than that, we didn't give him a lot he couldn't handle. That's for sure.

GO SABRES!!!

Well I say this to anyone who will feel like joining me. Time to jump on the Sabres expansion cousins bandwagon and cheer on the Canucks.

At least now I don't have to worry about a Sabre/Canuck final.

Never. I cheer for one team and one team alone. I'll keep watching, but I don't care who wins.

Archived