Afinogenov plays some pickup with the locals

rtconner

"Of the 29 goals, Maxim scored 17, including the last three after it was tied, 13-13," Cheeseman said. "And he didn't come off the ice in either the second or third periods. He told us he was looking for conditioning. And besides, who was going to tell him to come off?"

Trendsetter, good for him :thumbsup:

I played in the summer league at Niagara in the mid-90's and Ray was on the Rayzors team. No comparison between him and even the best of our really good players. It's not even close how much better a skater ANY NHL'er is than any of us average Joes.

"Of the 29 goals, Maxim scored 17, including the last three after it was tied, 13-13," Cheeseman said. "And he didn't come off the ice in either the second or third periods. He told us he was looking for conditioning. And besides, who was going to tell him to come off?"

Trendsetter, good for him :thumbsup:

haha cheeseman

So the millionaire doesn't have to pay but everyone else does? I hate when people do stuff like that. If anything, Max should be picking up the tab for everyone else.

Not only would I pay, but I would show up with a cooler full of beer (and soda).

The fact that these guys obviously feel that they get something out of playing with "scrubs" kinda flies in the face of PA's gripe about us comparing our games to the NHL. The game is the game at any speed.

Not only would I pay, but I would show up with a cooler full of beer (and soda).

The fact that these guys obviously feel that they get something out of playing with "scrubs" kinda flies in the face of PA's gripe about us comparing our games to the NHL. The game is the game at any speed.

Right. He could walk all over them, but chances are he spent most of the time skating half speed and passing the puck around. If he had really been trying, just think how many goals would have been scored? Playing pickup is getting to the roots of the game, where you're there to have fun and just play, no matter how good or bad anyone else is. It's always fun to simply be on the ice. That's love for the sport, something I don't think any of us ever doubted that Max had. And just like the rest of us, the first thing he (and many other pro players) probably wonder is "hey, I wonder if there's a rink in this town?"

I'd have paid though. But you know how it is when someone wants to give you something even though they shouldn't. Sometimes saying no is almost more disrespectful. I can't fault him for that.

I'd have paid though. But you know how it is when someone wants to give you something even though they shouldn't. Sometimes saying no is almost more disrespectful. I can't fault him for that.

I don't want to pretend I'd know what it's like to be in his shoes, but if I was, I'd probably foot the bill for everyone. I don't mean to badmouth Max with my comment though. I think the guy organizing the skate is the idiot. You're a rich hockey players, so I can't take your money. Pure stupidity.

I don't want to pretend I'd know what it's like to be in his shoes, but if I was, I'd probably foot the bill for everyone. I don't mean to badmouth Max with my comment though. I think the guy organizing the skate is the idiot. You're a rich hockey players, so I can't take your money. Pure stupidity.

Yeah, it's the whole celebrity status thing. Rather than just saying "hey cool, yeah we'll make sure you have a spot", the owner decided to get down on his knees for Max. Probably a little unnecessary and maybe even a little embarrassing for Max I would imagine.

My bet is this is the way it went down.

Pretty cool of Max to hang with everybody and sign stuff afterward, so he's excused (in my eyes) for not showing up with a case of beer.

My bet is this is the way it went down.

Pretty cool of Max to hang with everybody and sign stuff afterward, so he's excused (in my eyes) for not showing up with a case of beer.

Plus I can't say I know of any places where they'd let you bring beer to a skate and shoot. Sneaking it into the locker for league games is one thing, but...

:beer:

• 1 month later...

Archived