VANEK Interview

kishoph

I just heard a interview with VANEK on WGR. He did say that there's a posibility that he may play tomorrow, but he didn't sound very hopeful about it. It's does sound like he'll be back soon though, which is good news. Asked which part of the play was he hurt on and he said "the whole play" He didn't whine about the hit, but he did sound a little frustrated. I'll see if I can find a link to the interview.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5109478

Some good things there with Vanek AND Boychuck quotes. This one's my favorite...

After an off-ice workout Sunday in Boston, Boychuk said he had no intent to injure on the play.

"I was just trying to lift his stick on the one side because it was kind of like a breakaway," he said. "And then I couldn't get to it, so I went to the other side and tried to hit his stick. I didn't even know I actually slashed him."

Some good things there with Vanek AND Boychuck quotes. This one's my favorite...

After an off-ice workout Sunday in Boston, Boychuk said he had no intent to injure on the play.

"I was just trying to lift his stick on the one side because it was kind of like a breakaway," he said. "And then I couldn't get to it, so I went to the other side and tried to hit his stick. I didn't even know I actually slashed him."

Just devils advocate, not trying to be a ninnie, but when was the last someone was quoted as saying "Yeah, I was hoping to crack his kneecap in half, but to have him knocked out for awhile is good enough I guess" :bag:

Either way, breaking his stick in half or his kneecap takes a conscious decision to take a penalty...he was whacking down, not trying to lift up.

That's is exactly what it looked like to me. Exactly.

Glad Vanek isn't too bad.

That's is exactly what it looked like to me. Exactly.

Glad Vanek isn't too bad.

I had actually paraphrased his exact description of the incident, but decided I didn't want to argue it further. I saw what you saw. The guy couldn't break up the play from the outside and had no choice but make a quick move inside to prevent a shot on goal. His movements correspond to a guy legitimately trying to breakup a play - not just cheap shot someone.

Still should have been a major slashing penalty. I know a penalty was called, but it should have been a 4-minute or even a 7-minute PP.

The funny thing is, the ref called hooking. As he put his arm up, 15 and a half feet away, he watched the slash. But didn't call slashing.

Some calls go for you,some calls go against you.Just like life.Get over it people.Game two's done.I'm sure if you went over the gametape objectively you would find calls that went our way or dirty plays the refs missed that benefited us.Thats the way it goes in playoff hockey.Sometimes lifes not fair.Man up everyone.Watching the game objectively is the key and from what I've seen on these forums is alot of our fans are'nt able to seperate their emotions from their ability to reason.

I have little doubt he did indeed try to slash him, but it was the kind of slash that happens every night in the NHL ... he's trying to bother him and 99 times out of 100 he gets the shinpad ... but they were moving fast and he hit his knee ... it's a 2 minute slashing penalty, nothing more. I hate the result but ... it's the playoffs, guys are going to get hurt.

The proper move in that situation would have been an intentional hook , trip or interferrence from behind. Any of the three would have done the job cleanly and appropriately. The two handed slash on the knee from that angle was out of order. The fact that there was no retaliation highlights a major defect in the teams temperment and willingness to play old school when required. With a team as contact adversive as this one you need an enforcer. Lindy should have known that going into the season.I can think of several guys on this team less important than Peters. I would not want to play with this crew ,other than maybe Miller,Kaleta, Myers and Kennedy. I am very disappointed with Grier, Torres and Rivet for letting that play stand without a proportionate response. They know better. Myers is probably too young to know what was necessary in that situation so i will let him off the hook. The remaining guys get a general wimp exemption.

The reason there was no response physically was that they already knew the ref was calling a penalty.Therefore the proper response was taken in this situation which was to go on the powerplay.Had no call been made retribution would have been the proper response.

The reason there was no response physically was that they already knew the ref was calling a penalty.Therefore the proper response was taken in this situation which was to go on the powerplay.Had no call been made retribution would have been the proper response.

are you sure you are canadian. a penalty call is not considered a response to a cheap shot in hockey

As Canadian as maple syrup.Its the playoffs.To be reckless and take a penalty when you've been given the gift of a powerplay is'nt smart hockey.I understand your point about showing some backbone and sending a message but I just don't think that was the time on account of the impending powerplay.

As Canadian as maple syrup.Its the playoffs.To be reckless and take a penalty when you've been given the gift of a powerplay is'nt smart hockey.I understand your point about showing some backbone and sending a message but I just don't think that was the time on account of the impending powerplay.

Buffalo dos not have a power play. They let it leave over the last two seasons/ :lol:

The guy can't tell the difference in sound and feel of slashing a stick and someone's knee?

It was an intentional slash with an intent to injure from a lazy defenseman who got burned on the play. Chopping someone at their knee and aiming to hit their stick are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

The NHL should suspend Boychuck. It was a dirty, dirty attack on a star player. Unacceptable.

Archived