The playoffs are a little over a month away

LabattBlue

It's been 3 long years. The Sabres have 11 players(Connolly, Roy, Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Hecht, Mair, Gaustad, Lydman, Tallinder & Miller) on the roster who were around during the 06-07 playoffs. Drury & Briere were the two leading scorers during the playoffs that year.

Out from that year...Drury, Briere, Zubrus, Kotalik, Max, Campbell, Kalinin, Teppo & Spacek

In for this year...Torres, Kaleta, Ellis, Grier, Rivet, Butler, Sekera, Myers & Montador

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20073BUFSASAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

So who is going to raise their game to the next level? Which guys are likely to go on a scoring tear? Who is going to score the clutch goal? Which players are going to go balls to the wall and play physical like never seen before? Who will be willing to do whatever it takes to help this team win? Who can be a difference maker on the PP?

I think a lot of the answers to these questions will determine who stays and who goes in the offseason.

My thoughts...I'd like to believe that Connolly can find some of that magic from the 05-06 playoffs. I just have a hunch that Rivet has something left in the tank that hasn't been seen in his two years here. I think Lydman once again becomes a defensive force in terms of physical play and shot blocking.

Good topic and post. Seeing the difference in personnel between the two teams is interesting.

The one guy that stands out for me if healthy is Gaustad. Last year, it seemed to me that he was the only one towards the end that really wanted to make the playoffs. I' d like to see what he would do in them. I also think Pominville will play bigger in these playoffs.

The entire Sabre roster, this time, seems very focused for a good playoff run. If they get timely PP goals, great netminding from Miller, stay healthy on defense (especially Rivet, Myers and Tallinder) and then play tight checking with the foot speed and hitters they have -- they could make some hay. In the East, the only teams better than Buffalo on paper are: Washington, Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

I would like to see us start to build some of that mojo and momentum heading into the playoff's. I know we have 3 games and 2 points in hand over Ottawa as everyone here mentions but we also have 2 head to heads left with Ott as well as with Boston and Montreal. I personally like the small margin of error with all these teams vying for playoff spots because it should force this team to stay focused. I hope they realize they could end up facing any of them in the first or second round and treat these 6 division games as such.

That said the player's I think could really jump out down the stretch and in the Playoffs and help this team in no particular order;

Kaleta, if he stays healthy I see him getting back on special teams play and more opportunties.

Vanek, He looked much better last game and I was surprised to hear that maintenance day line before last game for some nagging injury, makes me wonder if there has been something wrong for awhile now and if it factored into his drop. If so and he is finally getting healthy that can only be a good thing.

Torres, maybe more hype/hope but new and adjusting, we just need Lindy to let him jell with a line here and play his game.

Sekera, I would like to see him treat these Playoffs like his own personal coming out party and take the role Soupy had on the roster although I could also see Myers stepping up his game like the other night although I thought some would say it's expected and not the surprise player prediction you were looking for.

Roy, I had to pick a center because if this team is going to make any noise or go anywhere we are going to need someone to be our No 1 center for a run. I just don't see that with Timmy's play this year and can see Roy being that guy that could step up and provide the consitency we will need for these short series.

And if the rest would just perform their roles well ....... maybe we make some noise.

Vanek - he's always been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's really on. He hasn't been on this year, so hopefully he's just timing it well.

Roy - hasn't been his best year, but when he gets going, he can be very effective (see stretch run in 2007-08). He and Vanek will likely get going as a pair. Who knows, maybe just replacing Stafford with Mancari is enough to do it (I just threw up a little.)

Myers - he could become a typical rookie that is intimidated by the playoffs, but going on his Memorial Cup and World Juniors play, he seems to get up for the big games. If he continues to "have fun playing" as Lindy said he did last game, then he will be a force in both ends.

Miller - not much to say, really. If he goes lights out, they're a contender. If he becomes Mr. Softy, they're one-and-done. He needs to give them a chance every game and then the team needs to step up and capitalize on that chance.

Torres - hasn't reached the potential that he was brought in for, but he has been contributing. If he gets more comfortable and maybe moves up, then he'll definitely help the offense.

Pirates - may be the hidden spark that is needed. Mancari looked pretty good last game, so maybe he finally makes that next step. Ennis is the #1 call-up, but unfortunately that cross-check to the face kept him from coming. If he gets another chance, he may never see Portland again. It will be interesting to see if either ends up here for any real time in the Spring.

Out from that year...Drury, Briere, Zubrus, Kotalik, Max, Campbell, Kalinin, Teppo & Spacek

In for this year...Torres, Kaleta, Ellis, Grier, Rivet, Butler, Sekera, Myers & Montador

My thoughts...I'd like to believe that Connolly can find some of that magic from the 05-06 playoffs. I just have a hunch that Rivet has something left in the tank that hasn't been seen in his two years here. I think Lydman once again becomes a defensive force in terms of physical play and shot blocking.

I agree with you on your points about Connolly and Rivet. I have no doubt that Tim can revive some of that magic from the 06 run. He was our best player before he was rocked, and he was probably one of the top 3 best offensive players in the league during that stretch.

I believe Rivet's style of D is best suited for the slower tempo playoffs as well.

Out of the "in" players you mentioned, i feel Kaleta is also going to make a difference. He spends mst of his looking for hits, once the tempo gets slowed down a notch, it'll make it that much easier for him to run people down.

If Meyers keeps his momentum going, he'll be a force in the playoffs. I dont think much is going to slow this kid down.

I agree with you on your points about Connolly and Rivet. I have no doubt that Tim can revive some of that magic from the 06 run. He was our best player before he was rocked, and he was probably one of the top 3 best offensive players in the league during that stretch.

I believe Rivet's style of D is best suited for the slower tempo playoffs as well.

Out of the "in" players you mentioned, i feel Kaleta is also going to make a difference. He spends mst of his looking for hits, once the tempo gets slowed down a notch, it'll make it that much easier for him to run people down.

If Meyers keeps his momentum going, he'll be a force in the playoffs. I dont think much is going to slow this kid down.

Sorry to single you out, cuz you're not the only one...but if this kid is our next superstar, shouldn't we all collectively learn to spell his name correctly?

I'm a big Yankees fan, and I've never seen any mention of Derrick Jeeter, but I see Meyers all the time. :blink:

Vanek - he's always been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's really on. He hasn't been on this year, so hopefully he's just timing it well.

Roy - hasn't been his best year, but when he gets going, he can be very effective (see stretch run in 2007-08). He and Vanek will likely get going as a pair. Who knows, maybe just replacing Stafford with Mancari is enough to do it (I just threw up a little.)

Myers - he could become a typical rookie that is intimidated by the playoffs, but going on his Memorial Cup and World Juniors play, he seems to get up for the big games. If he continues to "have fun playing" as Lindy said he did last game, then he will be a force in both ends.

Miller - not much to say, really. If he goes lights out, they're a contender. If he becomes Mr. Softy, they're one-and-done. He needs to give them a chance every game and then the team needs to step up and capitalize on that chance.

Torres - hasn't reached the potential that he was brought in for, but he has been contributing. If he gets more comfortable and maybe moves up, then he'll definitely help the offense.

Pirates - may be the hidden spark that is needed. Mancari looked pretty good last game, so maybe he finally makes that next step. Ennis is the #1 call-up, but unfortunately that cross-check to the face kept him from coming. If he gets another chance, he may never see Portland again. It will be interesting to see if either ends up here for any real time in the Spring.

Good breakdown. But I will channel SDS here and point out that if Vanek were truly consistent, he'd be scoring 120 goals a year.

As it is, the previous three years he has 43 and 36 goals in 82 games and 40 goals in 73 games. He's been as consistent as just about any NHL scorer -- and remember that he actually outscored Ovechkin those years when ice time is factored in. :)

Sekera, I would like to see him treat these Playoffs like his own personal coming out party and take the role Soupy had on the roster although I could also see Myers stepping up his game like the other night although I thought some would say it's expected and not the surprise player prediction you were looking for.

Roy, I had to pick a center because if this team is going to make any noise or go anywhere we are going to need someone to be our No 1 center for a run. I just don't see that with Timmy's play this year and can see Roy being that guy that could step up and provide the consitency we will need for these short series.

And if the rest would just perform their roles well ....... maybe we make some noise.

I think Sekera is playing really well, now. Seems to have shook off his rookie funk and found his game again. Love the way he skates and has great puck skills.

The way Roy was attacking with the puck last night gives me hope. He needs to be a better player that way if we are going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Vanek seems to be heating up, let's hope!

I think Sekera is playing really well, now. Seems to have shook off his rookie funk and found his game again. Love the way he skates and has great puck skills.

The way Roy was attacking with the puck last night gives me hope. He needs to be a better player that way if we are going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Vanek seems to be heating up, let's hope!

Flukey bounce on the first goal last night, however I still didn't like how he just stood there and watched the puck bounce right to Datsyuk.

The least he could've done was take a swipe at it, or kneel down to at least take the short side away. Might still have gone in, but I guess we'll never know.

He also had a huge neutral zone turnover against Dallas that resulted in a goal.

I'd like to see more from him on the defensive side of things.

The main difference and reason they'll make the playoffs this year is winning close games and closing out games late. Miller has a lot to do with that -- but the team concept seems to be there fully. Agree on Timmy -- and hope the others can raise their games as well. But Rivet, Raff, Goose and others give you that tougher edge you need to win playoff games. As we all know -- playoff series are won or lost on the hustle plays and timely scoring. Has been our bread and butter when we've made deep runs. Does this team have it? I think they do...but to what extent?

Flukey bounce on the first goal last night, however I still didn't like how he just stood there and watched the puck bounce right to Datsyuk.

The least he could've done was take a swipe at it, or kneel down to at least take the short side away. Might still have gone in, but I guess we'll never know.

He also had a huge neutral zone turnover against Dallas that resulted in a goal.

I'd like to see more from him on the defensive side of things.

Every other defensman on the team has bad turn overs including Tyler Myers. Sekra has his bad moments but he also scores, assists and moves the puck, so he's ahead of the field in that sense.

Archived