Someone convince me that these players would not have been an improvement over what is there today...

LabattBlue

EPIC LIE!

2 days prior to the deadline the GM of the Florida Panthers stated clearly he is and would continue to entertain and I quote: "ANY OFFER THAT COMES ALONG", he then when on to state that they are prepared to rebuild the team. After the deadline time, he also commented that of all the calls he did field he wasn't prepared to move any of the organizations assets for the offers coming in, which translated means, PONY UP MORE FOR THE GOODS BOYS!

As for Kaberle, you put an offer juicy enough infront of Burke, he goes and asks Thomas if he would waive the clause.

Boyes was on the trading block, see Florida Panthers above for why he did not move.

Whether or not players were moved or not clearly depended on what was being offered. PIPE DREAMS? Pffft..................more like Regier is a coward. Thats the reality you need to tune into. Nuff said.

First, take it easy. There's no reason to accuse anyone of lying.

Second, I assume you agree that at some point, the price is too high, right? We're talking about Kaberle and Horton here, not Crosby and Shea Weber. It's easy enough to say DR should've gotten them, but evidently Florida wanted more for them than anyone (not just the Sabres, but every other team in the NHL too) was willing to pay. I assume you wouldn't have given up Myers for Horton, right? It's an extreme example, but the point is the same: at some point, the price is too high.

EPIC LIE!

2 days prior to the deadline the GM of the Florida Panthers stated clearly he is and would continue to entertain and I quote: "ANY OFFER THAT COMES ALONG", he then when on to state that they are prepared to rebuild the team. After the deadline time, he also commented that of all the calls he did field he wasn't prepared to move any of the organizations assets for the offers coming in, which translated means, PONY UP MORE FOR THE GOODS BOYS!

The same GM said there would not be a fire sale -

That said, Sexton told me, “make no mistake — there will be no fire sale.”

He said he doesn’t feel like has to make a certain number of deals by Wednesday. He also said he wants y’all to know that the trade deadline is just the beginning of his plans when it comes to changing the makeup of the roster.

Link- http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2010/02/florida-panthers-gm-sexton-says-make-no-mistake-there-will-be-no-fire-sale.html

To make a trade for the sake of making a trade is beyond silly. I understand you're frustrated with the Sabres, but this isn't a playstation game where you can just make fantasy moves to improve a hockey team. Without knowing the asking price for Horton, it's hard to even talk about if the Sabres should have gotten him. Also, his injury did probably scare teams away.

As for Kaberle, you put an offer juicy enough infront of Burke, he goes and asks Thomas if he would waive the clause.

What would you offer Toronto for Kaberle?

Boyes was on the trading block, see Florida Panthers above for why he did not move.

John Davidson on Boyes rumors- http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/morning-skate/morning-skate/2010/03/jd-on-the-trading-deadline-part-1/

He doesn't confirm he was trading him but it does make it sound as if he was, but, he pretty much lets it be known it would be a steep price. Without knowing the demand for Boyes, i doubt we can sit here and kill Darcy for not getting Boyes.

more like Regier is a coward. Thats the reality you need to tune into. Nuff said.

A "source" told WGR's howard simon yesterday that Sabres were not allowing Regier to add payroll. By adding Torres, and trading Paetsch and MacArthur, they didn't really add much, which, gives credit to the report by Simon. If Regier was to go out and add payroll by adding a forward which you clearly think he should have, he would have needed to get rid of some salary.

It's a lot easier said then done but i think Darcy's hands were tied, but he still managed to get a top6 forward. I think he deserves credit.

Burke said that Kaberle had given him three teams that he would have been willing to waive his NTC for. Do you know that Buffalo was one of those three? It's possible, but I would tend to doubt it.

A "source" told WGR's howard simon yesterday that Sabres were not allowing Regier to add payroll.

I really hope this isn't true. The fans packed that ###### arena for 2 years with not a single playoff game to show for it, and now in the 3rd year, the team is falling apart before their eyes and they don't want to increase player salaries.

If true... :censored:

And even if it's not true, here is one more for not changing things up last off-season after the comprehensive, super thorough, in-depth, ass kicking, you can't hide, the fans are pissed, money is no object, loyalty means nothing, no stone left unturned, review... :censored:

Burke said that Kaberle had given him three teams that he would have been willing to waive his NTC for. Do you know that Buffalo was one of those three? It's possible, but I would tend to doubt it.

It's almost certain that Buffalo was not one of those 3. I guess we can put the "why didn't they get Kaberle" complaints to bed now.

To make a trade for the sake of making a trade is beyond silly. I understand you're frustrated with the Sabres, but this isn't a playstation game where you can just make fantasy moves to improve a hockey team.

It's a lot easier said then done but i think Darcy's hands were tied, but he still managed to get a top6 forward. I think he deserves credit.

I agree with this completely - Darcy isn't perfect by any means, and we're all frustrated, but rushing out and bringing in a bunch of rentals will solve nothing. No one on this proposed list would help us WIN the cup. It might get us past the 1st round, maybe the 2nd at best. And then at the end of the season, they'll all leave, and we'll be facing all the same problems over the summer.

Plus, where do all these supposed roster spots come from? We have to trade away talent to make room for these new players, and frankly, most people weren't buying what we wanted to sell.

The summer is Darcy's real test - fixing this ship during FA and evaluating what's worthwhile in Portland. And, while we all speculate about 'what's REALLY all that great down in Portland' - let's consider that those guys down there quietly put together a 10+ game winning streak, a roughly .750 winning percentage since December, and are pushing for the conference lead.

Darcy's not exactly spouting nonsense about some good prospects that are ready to make the jump down there...

Why wouldn't he want to come to Buffalo?

Assuming you're serious, I'll respond with a question: do you really think any 32-year-old multimillionaire professional athlete would list Buffalo as one of 3 cities he would accept a trade to?

I agree with this completely - Darcy isn't perfect by any means, and we're all frustrated, but rushing out and bringing in a bunch of rentals will solve nothing. No one on this proposed list would help us WIN the cup. It might get us past the 1st round, maybe the 2nd at best. And then at the end of the season, they'll all leave, and we'll be facing all the same problems over the summer.

Plus, where do all these supposed roster spots come from? We have to trade away talent to make room for these new players, and frankly, most people weren't buying what we wanted to sell.

The summer is Darcy's real test - fixing this ship during FA and evaluating what's worthwhile in Portland. And, while we all speculate about 'what's REALLY all that great down in Portland' - let's consider that those guys down there quietly put together a 10+ game winning streak, a roughly .750 winning percentage since December, and are pushing for the conference lead.

Darcy's not exactly spouting nonsense about some good prospects that are ready to make the jump down there...

good post.

Assuming you're serious, I'll respond with a question: do you really think any 32-year-old multimillionaire professional athlete would list Buffalo as one of 3 cities he would accept a trade to?

So:

1. Florida Panthers

2. LA Kings

3. Atlanta Thrashers

??

There's some serious talent in Portland. They are the hottest team in the league and are led on offense by Ennis, and on defense by Brennan and Weber.

As for this summer is Darcy's real test, i agree with that. Assuming the Sabres will want to spend more, they will have like $13 million of available cap space to add. Also, Darcy has loaded up on draft picks. If i have counted correctly, they have 1st, 3rd, 3rd (Bos), 3rd (Atl), 4th, 4th (Bos), 4th (Atl), 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th (SJ). That is 11 draft picks. Not too bad. Loads of money and lots of draft picks, could mean Sabres will have a busy summer. I hear people say if Sabres miss playoffs or lose in first round, Darcy has to go, but i honestly think, if they don't meet expectations and make a run, i think we'll see a big player turnover.

First, take it easy. There's no reason to accuse anyone of lying.

Second, I assume you agree that at some point, the price is too high, right? We're talking about Kaberle and Horton here, not Crosby and Shea Weber. It's easy enough to say DR should've gotten them, but evidently Florida wanted more for them than anyone (not just the Sabres, but every other team in the NHL too) was willing to pay. I assume you wouldn't have given up Myers for Horton, right? It's an extreme example, but the point is the same: at some point, the price is too high.

He he he, alright, sorry man, I was going for the "Drama" thing. lol, But ya, I did follow the pre and post trade line presser's with Sexton. He was working the phones, and Regier did speak with Florida, that much George Richards, the beat writer for the Panthers did quote him on. No deal struck though. My question isn't so much toward why they couldn't work something out, my question would be why Darcy wouldn't give the asking price, given the "known" short comings with this current Sabres roster.

NYC, Chicago, Boston, Denver, Philly, Washington, San Jose, Montreal, Dallas, Vancouver...

You can pick only three. If you're young and rich and depraved (that's your assumption about all athletes, apparently), you can't beat South Beach, LA and Hotlanta. Lived all three places when I was a model photographer.

What in the hell does a list have to do with the price of peas in China. This post does absolutely zero to address my response. All you stated was that Buffalo "MAY" have not been on that list. It is completely irrelevant if Buffalo was on the list or not, my statement was made as a "BUYERS" statement. The "SELLER" is completely secondary in nature due to the multiple choices of "SELLERS" available at the deadline. Whether Kaberle would or would not waive his NTC is also irrelevant since the post was pointing to Burke as the man to approach to get the job done.

I really hope this isn't true. The fans packed that ###### arena for 2 years with not a single playoff game to show for it, and now in the 3rd year, the team is falling apart before their eyes and they don't want to increase player salaries.

If true... :censored:

And even if it's not true, here is one more for not changing things up last off-season after the comprehensive, super thorough, in-depth, ass kicking, you can't hide, the fans are pissed, money is no object, loyalty means nothing, no stone left unturned, review... :censored:

I understand the frustration, but based on the list of guys everyone's throwing around here, it just seems to me that some fans wanted to add guys just to add guys. To me, it seems like a waste of draft picks to just pick up some 4th line guys. Didn't mean to crap on your thread earlier, sorry.

The only thing that's gonna push us over the hump is breaking up the top 6. I don't consider Grier, Kaleta or Goose reasons for not making the playoffs.

Absolutely - Weber is +17 on Portland and playing great, physical hockey. He is definitely one of the people Darcy's talking about when he refers to Portland.

I agree. As i posted somewhere else, i was listening recently to Fan590 out of Toronto and they said Buffalo wanted Ponikarovsky, but it was believed the demand was a 2nd round pick and Mike Weber and Sabres did not want to let go of Weber. I can't blame Darcy if he did reject that kind of offer.

He he he, alright, sorry man, I was going for the "Drama" thing. lol, But ya, I did follow the pre and post trade line presser's with Sexton. He was working the phones, and Regier did speak with Florida, that much George Richards, the beat writer for the Panthers did quote him on. No deal struck though. My question isn't so much toward why they couldn't work something out, my question would be why Darcy wouldn't give the asking price, given the "known" short comings with this current Sabres roster.

But that's the whole point: it sounds like the asking price was too high. I assume you agree that it is possible that Florida's price was too high, right?

Dude, I wish you'd joined this board like, say, 3-4 years ago. I'll be up front and tell you that I am not the best poster on here...not by a long shot. Having said that, from what I've read on your posts, a lot of what you have said on here makes sound, logical hockey sense. In spite of the fact that you're new around here, I feel like I am learning from you. You rank right up there with nfreeman as being one of the most intelligent hockey posters on here.

I'm also thinking back to trade deadline day where a lot of us were getting frustrated with Darcy's lack of making any movement. In retrospect, it's a good thing he passed on some of the big names who obviously have some age and health issues. Torres isn't a rookie, but at least he's not nearing the twilight of his career anytime soon.

Let's also look at the fact that some hockey pundits have said that the Sabres draft pretty well. Obviously, they're not going to get someone like a John Tavares or a Phil Kessel from recent years' past. However, we also have to look at who gets sent to Portland and eventually gets called up. They're not going to be like Sidney Crosby, but they have the energy and drive and would salivate at the opportunity to make it to the big time.

A "source" told WGR's howard simon yesterday that Sabres were not allowing Regier to add payroll.

Is that source called "the salary cap"?

See above.

I need one of the cap nerds on the board to tell me how much they could have increased their salaries. I know they had about $1 mill in space before the trade and the player swap would have left them in a similar position. Isn't there some formula that multiplies cap space x days accrued divided by my cats pajamas or something.

Is that source called "the salary cap"?

See above.

I need one of the cap nerds on the board to tell me how much they could have increased their salaries. I know they had about $1 mill in space before the trade and the player swap would have left them in a similar position. Isn't there some formula that multiplies cap space x days accrued divided by my cats pajamas or something.

They had a little under two mil in cap space. When factoring in the prorated contract they could have easily brought in a player with a 3-4 mil contract(even after subtracting Paetsch and MacArthur and adding Torres).

Archived