Someone convince me that these players would not have been an improvement over what is there today...

LabattBlue

I'd like to see Gragnani in the fold for next season. But i believe Weber's style of D is going to be needed more than the offensive upside Marc will bring in. If both Lydman and Hank bolt come the summer, which is entirly possible, then i dont feel too comfortable with such a young blueline. I would want at least one more experienced dman in the lineup. But if Shakira is sent on his way, then i want Marc here right away. Andrej has played well as of late, but i'd rather see what Marc brings to the table.

Did you factor in Pommer's and Stafford's well deserved raises? I dont know the fine details about next years projected payroll. But if they have 4 mil in cap space, and Raffi plays well and fits in here, he better get a contract.

I see Raffi ending the year close to the following numbers.

25(to 28) g

16 to 24 a

for 52 to 41 points.

That type of production would merit a contract from 3 to 4.2 mil a season.

I'd be very surprised if they let Sekera go. I think he has a lot of potential, and I think they have a full-time role in mind for him next year.

As for Torres, we'll see. They haven't lifted a finger to try to keep their last 2 deadline rentals. Still, if he delivers what we hope he can (ie top 6 scoring winger with size and grit), I'd like to see him stay too.

Actually, Pomminstein makes 1 million more, his cap hit is the same though. 5.3 million - per CapGeek.

Stafford makes 800 thousand more, but once again, 1.9 million on the Cap hit - per CapGeek.

So, it may be the same on the cap hit, but not on the cash flow for the organization. Per CapGeek.

You're right. I stand corrected.

Actually, Pomminstein makes 1 million more, his cap hit is the same though. 5.3 million - per CapGeek.

Stafford makes 800 thousand more, but once again, 1.9 million on the Cap hit - per CapGeek.

So, it may be the same on the cap hit, but not on the cash flow for the organization. Per CapGeek.

So ... where'd you get your numbers from?

:nana:

So ... where'd you get your numbers from?

:nana:

:lol:

I have to wonder if the extra money is considered bonus money and if there are some requirements or trigger mechanisms that initiate the bonus payments.

I'd be very surprised if they let Sekera go. I think he has a lot of potential, and I think they have a full-time role in mind for him next year.

As for Torres, we'll see. They haven't lifted a finger to try to keep their last 2 deadline rentals. Still, if he delivers what we hope he can (ie top 6 scoring winger with size and grit), I'd like to see him stay too.

You're right. I stand corrected.

Without question i believe in his offensive ability, but i have many doubts about his play in our zone. I would like to see what Marc can do over a long period of time. And if it appeared to me as if he can overtake Sekera's role, then i would try to move him.

I think Sekera has good trade value and would enhance a package deal for a greater need on the roster. That is why i would consider letting him go.

Torres has the ability to make a substantial impact with this roster, but only time will show us how large of an impact it will be. As you pointed out, they've made almost no effort to sign the last 2,( you could probably include Zubrus as well) deadline acqusitions. Even if Torres made a huge impact on the team, i still dont think Regier would put a contract for him on his offseason to do list.

The man simply doesn't feel any player outside the organ eye zation is worth anything.

Dude, I wish you'd joined this board like, say, 3-4 years ago. I'll be up front and tell you that I am not the best poster on here...not by a long shot.

You're a good poster. Don't sell yourself short. I am glad you are here. I do feel bad sometimes that you're the board pariah, but so be it.

You're a good poster. Don't sell yourself short. I am glad you are here. I do feel bad sometimes that you're the board pariah, but so be it.

I wouldn't go that far. His posts are tolerable which is more than I can say for some other posters.

They had a little under two mil in cap space. When factoring in the prorated contract they could have easily brought in a player with a 3-4 mil contract(even after subtracting Paetsch and MacArthur and adding Torres).

I couldn't quickly find the best place to put this note, but in Kevin Sylvester's column on sabres.com today, he wrote, "...his [MacArthur's] cap number being traded added to room to accommodate Torres’ cap number of around $2.25 million (his salary is around $2.75 million)."

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=520703&navid=DL|BUF|home

This just doesn't sound right.

I couldn't quickly find the best place to put this note, but in Kevin Sylvester's column on sabres.com today, he wrote, "...his [MacArthur's] cap number being traded added to room to accommodate Torres’ cap number of around $2.25 million (his salary is around $2.75 million)."

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=520703&navid=DL|BUF|home

This just doesn't sound right.

Probably meant when you added MacArthur's salary saving along with Paetsch. That along with that rumor/report of the team not wanting to add onto the pre-trade deadline payroll.

Probably meant when you added MacArthur's salary saving along with Paetsch. That along with that rumor/report of the team not wanting to add onto the pre-trade deadline payroll.

I'm in dangerous waters here because I don't get too involved in the business/cap side of things, but they had already paid most of Mac's and Paetsch's salary for the season. They didn't save that much. Nor is Torres costing them that much.

I just question the whole idea of having to trade MacArthur to make room for Torres.

I'm in dangerous waters here because I don't get too involved in the business/cap side of things, but they had already paid most of Mac's and Paetsch's salary for the season. They didn't save that much. Nor is Torres costing them that much.

I just question the whole idea of having to trade MacArthur to make room for Torres.

I can see two situations.

First is they didn't want to increase their payroll, they preferred not to spend the additional million or so that it would have cost to keep MacArthur and add Torres.

Second is they perhaps were looking to add another player who has a 3-4 million contract so they traded MacArthur to have the room to do that. But the price of a top pick and prospect was too high in the end to pay so the trade fell through.

Archived