Someone convince me that these players would not have been an improvement over what is there today...

LabattBlue

Why stop at those 7.

Brad Boyes was on the block

Florida would have dealt some, which and at what price is unknown

Edmonton would have entertained some offers

How can we forget Kaberle and his NTC, right price forces Burke to go and ask him to waive it? we'll never know.

Ah yes, the trade deadline deals that never happen BECAUSE DARCY REGIER IS OUR GM :censored: :wallbash:

Why stop at those 7.

How can we forget Kaberle and his NTC, right price forces Burke to go and ask him to waive it? we'll never know.

Ah yes, the trade deadline deals that never happen BECAUSE DARCY REGIER IS OUR GM :censored: :wallbash:

OK, I can understand Blue's original post, since we have a rough idea of what it took to acquire them, but this post is just plain :censored:. For all you or anyone else knows, those GMs were looking for multiple firsts for their players. In each case, 28 other teams also didn't trade for them. Sorry, I'm not pleased with the deadline, as a whole, but come on, you can't judge Darcy for not getting players with unknown prices. Just judge him based on those with known (roughly) prices.

Nice lists. What are you guys offering in return? You know, other than the bags of piss we have on this team...

Walker traded for a 7th round pick

Jurcina traded for a 6th round pick

Modin traded for future considerations

Halpern a 3rd round pick and a 4th line part time scrub

Yeah....you're right no way the Sabres could have acquired these players. <_<

OK, I can understand Blue's original post, since we have a rough idea of what it took to acquire them, but this post is just plain :censored:. For all you or anyone else knows, those GMs were looking for multiple firsts for their players. In each case, 28 other teams also didn't trade for them. Sorry, I'm not pleased with the deadline, as a whole, but come on, you can't judge Darcy for not getting players with unknown prices. Just judge him based on those with known (roughly) prices.

Well, isn't that nice. You must be one of the fans that "HASN'T" waited 40 years for a championship or 12 years with "THIS CURRENT MANAGEMENT TEAM". Sorry, I'm calling Bulls**t on your post :censored: .

I can judge Darcy Regier anyway I please for that matter. I have seen 12 seasons (okay, with the bankruptcy I'll give it 8 seasons, sound better? 8 SEASONS? WOW) of this guys ability to O & M (thats Operate and Maintain) an NHL franchise. I'm not impressed, sorry if you feel giving this guy a pass is justified, I firmly disagree and although I can respect your point of view, I tend to carry my own based on actual experience as a 40 year fan.

All good veteran players. All traded to other teams.

Scott Walker - 5 points 33 games

Fredrick Modin - 6 points in 24 games

Milan Jurcina - 4 points 27 games

Eric Belanger - 35 points in 60 games

Jeff Halpern - 17 points in 55 games

Trading for 4th liners and 6th defenseman aren't going to make a difference. Belanger is the only one capable of putting up offense and the Sabres got a better version of him in Torres.

Scott Walker - 5 points 33 games

Fredrick Modin - 6 points in 24 games

Milan Jurcina - 4 points 27 games

Eric Belanger - 35 points in 60 games

Jeff Halpern - 17 points in 55 games

Trading for 4th liners and 6th defenseman aren't going to make a difference. Belanger is the only one capable of putting up offense and the Sabres got a better version of him in Torres.

Modin and Walker could play on the 3rd line and would be an improvement over anyone we have there currently, Jurcina would be good as a 5-6-7 dman and Halpern would be a 1000 times better than Mair or Ellis on the 4th line.

Well, isn't that nice. You must be one of the fans that "HASN'T" waited 40 years for a championship or 12 years with "THIS CURRENT MANAGEMENT TEAM". Sorry, I'm calling Bulls**t on your post :censored: .

I can judge Darcy Regier anyway I please for that matter. I have seen 12 seasons (okay, with the bankruptcy I'll give it 8 seasons, sound better? 8 SEASONS? WOW) of this guys ability to O & M (thats Operate and Maintain) an NHL franchise. I'm not impressed, sorry if you feel giving this guy a pass is justified, I firmly disagree and although I can respect your point of view, I tend to carry my own based on actual experience as a 40 year fan.

I'm as pissed as you are about Darcy not making moves. I just can't judge him based on not trading an unknown amount for players from teams who may or may not have wanted waaaay too much for them. I'm mad at him for not addressing the hole at center from July 1, 2007 to at least this Summer (if you consider that hole filled by Kennedy, though even that is just Darcy waiting long enough for an OK center to get up here.) I'm mad at him for not addressing the lack of physical play and willingness to "compete" within the top six until yesterday (and even that's a rental.) The list goes on. There's plenty to be pissed at him about that you don't need to make up hypotheticals.

I'm as pissed as you are about Darcy not making moves. I just can't judge him based on not trading an unknown amount for players from teams who may or may not have wanted waaaay too much for them. I'm mad at him for not addressing the hole at center from July 1, 2007 to at least this Summer (if you consider that hole filled by Kennedy, though even that is just Darcy waiting long enough for an OK center to get up here.) I'm mad at him for not addressing the lack of physical play and willingness to "compete" within the top six until yesterday (and even that's a rental.) The list goes on. There's plenty to be pissed at him about that you don't need to make up hypotheticals.

This is true, the hypotheticals can be curtailed, I agree. But in all honesty here, I am sick to death of him and his excuses. In all actuallity, Brad Boyes was on the market yesterday. He could have been had, would the price of been high? Absolutely, but (and I will always believe this to be the truth unless I'm proven factually wrong) If Darcy can get Torres for Paetsch and a 2nd, I am sure Darcy could have moved both Lydman and Tallinder for draft picks, then made a pitch with Stafford and Picks (maybe even a prospect) to bring Boyes in. There you go, tough LWer in Torres for the season, Boyes with Roy and Vanek for this season and beyond.

Sounds like the top 6 just got significantly tougher with these 2 players and we may even see more scoring. Bring in Sekera and Montador/Weber. This may do nothing to solve our D woes and may actually make them worse, but overall, the team just got better. Darcy could have found a way to make further moves to bring in a PPQB. The point I am trying to make is you have to give to get. I truly believe the Sabres could have made a run this season. Miller is just that good. But they would have had to of had better forechecking and more consistent scoring. None of which they addressed in any serious fashion. With that being the case, why didn't they just trade the UFA's away, they still could have made the playoffs and the result will be the same, 4 and out. :doh:

No, my assessment of Darcy and his management style both this deadline as well as his entire tenure here in Buffalo is more than dead on accurate. Missed opportunities, poor leadership, fear and an unwillingness to correct mistakes. :wallbash:

I would have gladly taken Halpern. He's just a solid, two-way centerman. Kennedy has looked lost of late, and Halpern would've fit in nicely with Grier on the 3rd line.

The others... meh. Jurcina is out 6-8 weeks and is no upgrade over Lydman or Sekera. Walker is about as effective as Mair or Ellis. Belanger isn't bad, but he's soft and I don't see him as that much of an upgrade over what the Sabres have now. Modin could have been a wild card... big body, laser of a shot, but slow as hell and plagued with injury problems.

I would have gladly taken Halpern. He's just a solid, two-way centerman. Kennedy has looked lost of late, and Halpern would've fit in nicely with Grier on the 3rd line.

The others... meh. Jurcina is out 6-8 weeks and is no upgrade over Lydman or Sekera. Walker is about as effective as Mair or Ellis. Belanger isn't bad, but he's soft and I don't see him as that much of an upgrade over what the Sabres have now. Modin could have been a wild card... big body, laser of a shot, but slow as hell and plagued with injury problems.

I didn't realize Jurcina was hurt. If he is out for that long, why did Washington trade for him? Based on that timeframe, he may not even make it back for the playoffs.

I could not agree more.... I doubt that any Sabre fan would have taken a look at the current roster and thought, "You know, this team is poised to make a deep run in the playoffs.....IF we can cut Paetsch and MacArthur loose and bring in Torres." To add insult to injury, in Darcy's press conference he indicated that there were players "pushing from Portland" that would improve the team. Say what? What budding superstar is Darcy referring to? What we have in Portland is a collection of middling talent along the lines of....well, most players on the current Sabres roster. Where in heck is the dedication to winning the Stanley Cup that Quinny has been talking about for the last year? What about this season? We have arguably the hottest goaltender IN THE WORLD and he is surrounded by mediocrity (save for Myers). We subtract two players, add one and that is supposed to push us over the top? Really?

I too have been a Sabres' fan from day one. The team has provided me with great entertainment, fond memories and great pride. To have the current front office pass this off as their best effort to field a Stanley Cup championship-calibre team on behalf of this beleaguered city is shameful. I find myself torn between wanting to continue to support the team and throwing my hands up and walking away from the whole mess (Of course, being a true fan, I WILL be there with the team until the bitter end).

I didn't realize Jurcina was hurt. If he is out for that long, why did Washington trade for him? Based on that timeframe, he may not even make it back for the playoffs.

I don't get the Jurcina deal either. Two days ago he was diagnosed with a sports hernia. The Caps broadcasters last night said it was for "depth come playoff time," but still, that seems like a big gamble. They didn't give up much to get him, but I'm sure they could've got someone else of his caliber for the same pick. He is a former Cap, so maybe that's why.

Modin and Walker could play on the 3rd line and would be an improvement over anyone we have there currently, Jurcina would be good as a 5-6-7 dman and Halpern would be a 1000 times better than Mair or Ellis on the 4th line.

That's a lot of dough to pay for players who keep getting hurt and are at the end of their careers. Modin has scored 17 goals in the past 3 seasons combined. We would have just been better off keeping CMac then getting Modin.

Why stop at those 7.

I love peoples speculation about deals that didn't happen. It's pure fantasy. Florida wasn't selling as much as some people reported, and, Nathan Horton was probably not going to be dealt either, even though, he was in almost every rumor mill. Kaberle wasn't going to waive his NTC. Get over it.

That's a lot of dough to pay for players who keep getting hurt and are at the end of their careers. Modin has scored 17 goals in the past 3 seasons combined. We would have just been better off keeping CMac then getting Modin.

Modin and Walker are both pending UFA's and combined would have cost the Sabres a little bit more than 1 mil in prorated cap space(The Sabres ended up with almost 2 mil in cap space).

Doesn't sound like a big risk to me.

No, my assessment of Darcy and his management style both this deadline as well as his entire tenure here in Buffalo is more than dead on accurate. Missed opportunities, poor leadership, fear and an unwillingness to correct mistakes. :wallbash:

It's certainly not unreasonable to have this opinion of Darcy, but you can't really argue logically that hypothetical trades for guys who weren't actually traded could've been made because your "assessment is dead on accurate." This is essentially saying "I'm right because I'm right."

I love peoples speculation about deals that didn't happen. It's pure fantasy. Florida wasn't selling as much as some people reported, and, Nathan Horton was probably not going to be dealt either, even though, he was in almost every rumor mill. Kaberle wasn't going to waive his NTC. Get over it.

I mostly agree, although I suspect the Florida guys and Kaberle could each have been had for the right price. The question, as always, is whether the price is right for the organization. The Sabres evidently decided the price was too high, as did 28 other teams.

I wonder whether Burke would've taken Pommer and a #1 for Kaberle, or whether Florida would've taken Pommer for Horton.

It's certainly not unreasonable to have this opinion of Darcy, but you can't really argue logically that hypothetical trades for guys who weren't actually traded could've been made because your "assessment is dead on accurate." This is essentially saying "I'm right because I'm right."

I mostly agree, although I suspect the Florida guys and Kaberle could each have been had for the right price. The question, as always, is whether the price is right for the organization. The Sabres evidently decided the price was too high, as did 28 other teams.

I wonder whether Burke would've taken Pommer and a #1 for Kaberle, or whether Florida would've taken Pommer for Horton.

If Florida was selling, why would they want to add on money? Also, Horton's injury probably effected him availability.

If Florida was selling, why would they want to add on money? Also, Horton's injury probably effected him availability.

Well, we're really getting into the hypothetical realm here, but if they had been selling, it would probably be with the goal of rebuilding their team -- not reducing payroll (since the NHL has a minimum salary as well as a cap). Pommer is a good all-around player and a legit top 6 forward, albeit well overpaid. He's the kind of player you want if you're Florida and you're blowing things up to start over.

EPIC LIE!

2 days prior to the deadline the GM of the Florida Panthers stated clearly he is and would continue to entertain and I quote: "ANY OFFER THAT COMES ALONG", he then when on to state that they are prepared to rebuild the team. After the deadline time, he also commented that of all the calls he did field he wasn't prepared to move any of the organizations assets for the offers coming in, which translated means, PONY UP MORE FOR THE GOODS BOYS!

As for Kaberle, you put an offer juicy enough infront of Burke, he goes and asks Thomas if he would waive the clause.

Boyes was on the trading block, see Florida Panthers above for why he did not move.

Whether or not players were moved or not clearly depended on what was being offered. PIPE DREAMS? Pffft..................more like Regier is a coward. Thats the reality you need to tune into. Nuff said.

Archived