[OT] Post Olympics Canadian Slogan...

LabattBlue

Love ya Blue, but this kind of trash talk doesn't belong in the Olympics. Shame on Canada, first of all, for even having that slogan. I enjoy the Olympics because as a fanatic pro fan, I can step back and just root for the world, for sportsmanship, for the spirit of competition. Sounds corny, yeah.

Love ya Blue, but this kind of trash talk doesn't belong in the Olympics. Shame on Canada, first of all, for even having that slogan. I enjoy the Olympics because as a fanatic pro fan, I can step back and just root for the world, for sportsmanship, for the spirit of competition. Sounds corny, yeah.

Exactly on the trash talk part. As for....

Own the Podium. It was poorly named but the program was not. It was the gov't putting their money towards our athletes so they could do their best. No problem with that. As for overall medals, brag away, but if Canada wins Gold in the hockey today, Canada will have the Winter Olympic Record for most Golds. They've already got the record for most Golds at home. But if this is all you can hang your hat on, well so be it. Hope you feel better Labatt after your weak trash talking.

In defence of the 99.99 percent of Canadians that did'nt have a thing to do with the 'own the podium' slogan I have to say that it was an ill conceived title but the concept behind it is'nt a bad thing in that it simply means try and win.Nothing wrong with that.Every country in the olympics supports their athletes with financial support and training facilitys etc,they just don't give it the moniker the Canadian officials chose.That was a decision probably made by a handfull of stuffy officials in a boardroom somewhere.Unfortunately you all choose to blame 'Canadians' in general.After all the hand wringing I'm sure that mistake won't happen again.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'll take the US collecting the most overall medals in winter Olympics history over Canada picking up 3-5 more golds than us any day of the week.

And I think it is Norway perhaps who is still laughing at everyone else by having the most medals total all time.

Well seeing how Canada was hosting the Olympics, I think maybe they do own the podium, unless it's owned by the Olympic committee. But still it's the USA who has all the guns and money. And Canada is still America's hat. USA USA USA. Kinda ironic, Canada may have the best hockey team, but the USA by far has the best goaltender.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'll take the US collecting the most overall medals in winter Olympics history over Canada picking up 3-5 more golds than us any day of the week.

Seriously, you can't really mean that. Canada just won it's 14 gold. The most by any country ever. The most, by 4 over the USA, for a host country.

Overall medals mean nothing. That's like saying the Sabres winning 2 second place finishes in the Stanley Cup Finals, is better than the various teams that have never lost in the Cup Finals.

Congrats on all your medals, your country far exceeded all expectations in medal count, but the true barometer is Golds. Come on. You know that. Summer Olympics are coming and you will get your Golds by bus loads.

Seriously, you can't really mean that. Canada just won it's 14 gold. The most by any country ever. The most, by 4 over the USA, for a host country.

Overall medals mean nothing. That's like saying the Sabres winning 2 second place finishes in the Stanley Cup Finals, is better than the various teams that have never lost in the Cup Finals.

Congrats on all your medals, your country far exceeded all expectations in medal count, but the true barometer is Golds. Come on. You know that. Summer Olympics are coming and you will get your Golds by bus loads.

Seriously, I do mean that. Congrats on 14 golds. It's an impressive feat. But we took home 9 golds, 15 silvers, and 13 bronze for 37 total. That shows excellence, depth and dominance throughout the Olympics.

Your point about the Sabres "winning" (not sure what that means) "second places finishes in the Cup finals" is so ridiculous I am not even going to address it.

No offence to either one of you (BM or Rickshaw) but the whole idea of nationalism attached to the Olympics is ridiculous. How many athletes, right before they are about to do their event, say to themselves,"this one's for America!!!" or "here we go, me and Latvia"? The Olympics is about individual achievement. Maybe in the eighties, but it hasn't beenthat way for a while.

Competitiveness put aside, as an American, I would like to thank this Olympic games gracious host, Vancouver, Canada.

You did a splendid job, and your hockey team put up one of the most entertaining hockey games I have seen in a long, long time.

My hats off to all of you, your athletes and once again, thank you for hosting the games. Hopefully, put aside all of the trash talk, both of our athletes help to make the next Olympics just as entertaining.

Thank you to all of the Athletes from all of the nations that participated, it was one of the best.

Thank You Canada and once again, Congradulations.

14 Golds, Olympic record, I'd say that's owning the most important part of the podium.

Congrats on the record, but it's somewhat tarnished by the fact that the the number of events keep increasing, which in turn makes it easier to eclipse total medal records. ;)

No offence to either one of you (BM or Rickshaw) but the whole idea of nationalism attached to the Olympics is ridiculous. How many athletes, right before they are about to do their event, say to themselves,"this one's for America!!!" or "here we go, me and Latvia"? The Olympics is about individual achievement. Maybe in the eighties, but it hasn't beenthat way for a while.

Individually, sure I think you are right. Most Olympic athletes probably don't think along those lines - the "it's me or Latvia" stuff. While a lot will talk about their desire to compete for their country I think many will probably admit that it is about individual accomplishment. (I also think there are countries that have that sense of nationalism where it is an honor and privilege to compete for your country, and it is less an individualistic endeavor.)

All that being said, I would bet the athletes know when they are getting close to a record or have a shot at doing something historic, and then they strive to be a part of that. I would bet the Canadian team knew that a gold today would set a record (like they needed any extra pressure) and probably wanted to be part of that.

In either case, I don't think I was making that argument at all. My point was simply what I posted - we took home a record # of total medals, and Canada took home a record # of of golds, and since we had a nice balance of gold, silver, and bronze, I said I would prefer that to just five more golds, since it shows the depth and balance across the USOC athletes. As an American I do take a certain amount of pride in the fact that there are so many talented athletes produced by the USA.

Oh, leave the Canadians alone. They had the Olympics, they got crushed in the total medal count, so what?

They won the most golds. Congrats.

Really guys, they need something to hang their hat on. They're a third rate country who's never done anything worth noting before now, in any field (Except possibly bizzare game shows. There was some weird #%^$#! on those canadian channels in the 80's. Seriously, there was a game show where kids tried to poison their parents). Give them the 2010 Olympics.

So then team USA players each adopting an injured solider for the game probably meant nothing to each of them because they were so caught up thinking about setting individual records. :rolleyes:

So then team USA players each adopting an injured solider for the game probably meant nothing to each of them because they were so caught up thinking about setting individual records. :rolleyes:

Good point. And a lot of athletes also noted that when another athlete does well from their nation that they're inspried to do well, and also get some confidence from others' successes. So yeah, nationalism does play an important role at the Olympics.

Oh, leave the Canadians alone. They had the Olympics, they got crushed in the total medal count, so what?

They won the most golds. Congrats.

Really guys, they need something to hang their hat on. They're a third rate country who's never done anything worth noting before now, in any field (Except possibly bizzare game shows. There was some weird #%^$#! on those canadian channels in the 80's. Seriously, there was a game show where kids tried to poison their parents). Give them the 2010 Olympics.

My American friends, these are the type of posts that make Canadians really want to beat the USA when they compete. Purely classless. Congrats on the trashiest post I've seen on this board.

Competitiveness put aside, as an American, I would like to thank this Olympic games gracious host, Vancouver, Canada.

You did a splendid job, and your hockey team put up one of the most entertaining hockey games I have seen in a long, long time.

My hats off to all of you, your athletes and once again, thank you for hosting the games. Hopefully, put aside all of the trash talk, both of our athletes help to make the next Olympics just as entertaining.

Thank you to all of the Athletes from all of the nations that participated, it was one of the best.

Thank You Canada and once again, Congradulations.

And this is the type of post that makes me proud to be neighbours to the USA. My home town put on a helluva show for the last 2 weeks and I'm very impressed. Quite frankly, I wasn't looking forward to the games, but that changed once it started. It was awesome on so many levels and I'm sad it's over.

My apologies to Canada. As we get an inkling of what's in store in Sochi, I must say, you are gods among men. Parent poisoning game shows and virulent parochialism aside, these were great games. Jeebus save us from Sochi 2014. This will be a nightmare. I can only hope the Mayans were right.

Archived