[OT] Hockey Gear Question

shrader

I just got one of those emails with offers on products that are on sale. I saw a reebok padded shirt and I'm curious about it. Has anyone ever used anything like this before? I don't wear shoulder pads but I love blocking shots. I've never taken one off the upper body, but I'm sure it's bound to happen eventually. If something like this could help, I would seriously consider it.

I just got one of those emails with offers on products that are on sale. I saw a reebok padded shirt and I'm curious about it. Has anyone ever used anything like this before? I don't wear shoulder pads but I love blocking shots. I've never taken one off the upper body, but I'm sure it's bound to happen eventually. If something like this could help, I would seriously consider it.

You should consider it. Shoulder pads are re-emerging as a trend.

Those look pretty cool. I used to use rollerblade goalie shoulderpads which are basically the same material as these. I took a shot off of my upper body with them. I now use real pads.

I've considered getting one to use in net but I'm not really sure I'd need that much armor skating out. I block a lot of shots myself and have never had a problem with just wearing a pair of old school style lightweight shoulder pads. I wear my heavier duty iTechs these days, but only because I wore out the old school ones. I've taken some nasty shots, but never really thought a padded undershirt would be necessary.

That said, I would wear one in net. So I'd imagine they'd work if you really felt you needed that extra protection as a skater, especially if you don't want to wear shoulders.

I also think reebok is full of carp when it comes to the breath-ability of their products. You might find it to be a little on the warm side.

I've considered getting one to use in net but I'm not really sure I'd need that much armor skating out. I block a lot of shots myself and have never had a problem with just wearing a pair of old school style lightweight shoulder pads. I wear my heavier duty iTechs these days, but only because I wore out the old school ones. I've taken some nasty shots, but never really thought a padded undershirt would be necessary.

That said, I would wear one in net. So I'd imagine they'd work if you really felt you needed that extra protection as a skater, especially if you don't want to wear shoulders.

I also think reebok is full of carp when it comes to the breath-ability of their products. You might find it to be a little on the warm side.

I'm thinking of it as protection in place of shoulder pads. The pair I have are way too bulky and restrictive, so I really can't wear them. This would be a much cheaper alternative and also potentially save me some pain from the eventual slap shot that is going to hit me in the chest/ribs. As it turns out, one of my teammates has a brother-in-law who works for reebok and he's going to look into it for me. If they provide decent protection, it could be a nice addition at the casual level I'm playing at.

I'm thinking of it as protection in place of shoulder pads. The pair I have are way too bulky and restrictive, so I really can't wear them. This would be a much cheaper alternative and also potentially save me some pain from the eventual slap shot that is going to hit me in the chest/ribs. As it turns out, one of my teammates has a brother-in-law who works for reebok and he's going to look into it for me. If they provide decent protection, it could be a nice addition at the casual level I'm playing at.

I really don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm just starting into a casual league and I'm a little uncertain of what equipment I'll need. I'm an experienced floor/roller hockey guy but haven't taken the ice for organized hockey before. I find it curious that you do not wear shoulder pads. Is this normal? I was wondering exactly what I'll need, how much it'll cost and where's the best place around Buffalo to get it. We're renting out the rink saturday so I'd rather get my hands on it soon and websites might make that tough.

I really don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm just starting into a casual league and I'm a little uncertain of what equipment I'll need. I'm an experienced floor/roller hockey guy but haven't taken the ice for organized hockey before. I find it curious that you do not wear shoulder pads. Is this normal? I was wondering exactly what I'll need, how much it'll cost and where's the best place around Buffalo to get it. We're renting out the rink saturday so I'd rather get my hands on it soon and websites might make that tough.

I'd say it's about 50/50 when it comes to who wears shoulder pads. The only thing required by most leagues is helmet and gloves. Everything else is optional, but you'd have to be pretty crazy to go without shin pads and elbow pads. What you wear really comes down to a comfort issue. If you're worried about getting bumped up, then by all means, get full gear.

I'll leave it up to locals to answer your where/how much questions since I haven't bought anything out there in a long time.

I'd say it's about 50/50 when it comes to who wears shoulder pads. The only thing required by most leagues is helmet and gloves. Everything else is optional, but you'd have to be pretty crazy to go without shin pads and elbow pads. What you wear really comes down to a comfort issue. If you're worried about getting bumped up, then by all means, get full gear.

I'll leave it up to locals to answer your where/how much questions since I haven't bought anything out there in a long time.

I'd 2nd what Shrader said.

The 1 thing I'd add is expect to have it take a few games/sessions to get used to playing in ice skates if you've been playing a lot of roller hockey. The blade is a LOT shorter and when you expect to still have some "wheel" under your toe, you're gonna find out that it just ain't there. You will also likely find yourself trying to do a roller turn rather than a stop & start when the puck goes back up ice (or down ice, for that matter).

Good luck w/ it.

I'd 2nd what Shrader said.

The 1 thing I'd add is expect to have it take a few games/sessions to get used to playing in ice skates if you've been playing a lot of roller hockey. The blade is a LOT shorter and when you expect to still have some "wheel" under your toe, you're gonna find out that it just ain't there. You will also likely find yourself trying to do a roller turn rather than a stop & start when the puck goes back up ice (or down ice, for that matter).

Good luck w/ it.

I certainly figure there's going to be some getting used to. I'm assume I'm going to be dropping a solid couple hundred dollars, on skates, pants, shin/elbow/shoulder pads. Anyone have any suggestions on solid reasonably priced equipment?

a guy on my team uses a padded shirt from mission in lieu of shoulder pads, and he loves it. granted, he cherry picks and would never think of blocking a shot, so i don't know the limit of the protection it offers.

I've been considering one of those for reffing upper-level games. I was lining a Midget U-18 AAA game here and got drilled in the (aureola) ###### on a dump-in. I gave the guy the boards, but he smoked me anyway. I thought my (aureola) ###### had been torn off and was relieved to see it still there when I went in the room between periods. A friend of mine wears something like that for extra protection in the faster games.

I wear Itech shoulder pads for blocking shots when I play. I play D, and sometimes your only option is to block the shot when you're in no-man's land. Mine have a pad that hangs down over the belly area for extra protection.

Archived