Ruff's Coaching Creativity

Dave Dryden

Ruff takes some heat on this Board for being stale and predictable. He never is creative according to some.

There's a quote in the story in the Denver Post today on the front page from the Av's star rookie Duchene, where he says in the third period, the Sabres implemented something akin to a four man forecheck, which included the D's. Duchene says that Buffalo outplayed them so decisively in the third period because "they had never seen anything like that before." Ruff also mentioned playing two five man units in the third, to shake things up.

So maybe Ruff still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Ruff takes some heat on this Board for being stale and predictable. He never is creative according to some.

There's a quote in the story in the Denver Post today on the front page from the Av's star rookie Duchene, where he says in the third period, the Sabres implemented something akin to a four man forecheck, which included the D's. Duchene says that Buffalo outplayed them so decisively in the third period because "they had never seen anything like that before." Ruff also mentioned playing two five man units in the third, to shake things up.

I'm pretty sure that using a shortened bench when down a goal is nothing new.

Sioux mode or Little Bighorn..

I think ESPN said it best. In their midseason awards under jack adams for best coach it lists nominees and why, it says ruff and the explanation is simply, "Lindy Ruff should be nominated every year". Face it, haters. He's a GREAT coach. Who are you going to get that's better. San Jose had coach turnover, and they've been in the presidents trophy race for like the last 5 seasons.

In fact, right now, who is a better coach than Lindy Ruff?

I've heard and read several references to such since the season began - both in TBN as well as on national media outlets - that Ruff picked up a lot of ideas from the Olympic coaching meetings last summer, when he, Babcock, Lemaire and Trotz exchanged philosophies and systems for the upcoming Olympic tournament. Ruff's post-game press conference last night pointed out how the Red Wings often use a set 5-man unit; during a recent TSN broadcast, I recall Pierre Maguire explaining that the drop-pass to the trailer on power plays that Buffalo started using this year (although with poor results IMO) was a play used by Detroit as well. During the telecast from the Sabres' game in New Jersey back in October, the announcers pointed out how some of the strategies Lemaire has used for years with his teams were being implemented by Ruff.

Some will say that Ruff is only copying other coaches' philosophies but, just as he did after the lockout when he re-invented himself from being a traditional defensive-minded coach to encouraging a more offensive-minded, run-and-gun style to suit the way the league was going, I give credit to him for trying to learn and accepting that his philosophies aren't the only way to win games with. More than anything else, I think Ruff has to be respected for the way that he adapts his "systems" and style of play to the kind of roster and the make-up of the majority of players he has to work with.

I wouldn't call him the best coach of all time but I do think he's the best coach the Sabres have ever had and certainly can't think of anyone else that is currently not coaching that would do a better job in Buffalo than what Ruff has done. All of the pleas from Ruff-critics to dump him worry me because I suspect that if that ever happens, people will be less pleased with the alternatives out there.

Yeah, that's what he did. I guess Duchene is really stupid.

Ruff is the one who's been pushing this "We roll four lines" stuff forever. Maybe he is becoming an elite coach. Maybe he's finally realizing that some lines are better than others and should be on the ice when we need a goal.

And I'm still trying to figure out how creative it is putting Mair on the ice in OT.

I have said since I first came here, which was during bad times for the Sabres, that anyone who thinks Lindy should be fired doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. There is no other coach in the league that I would rather have. We are so freaking lucky to have two guys as insightful and hard working and intelligent as Lindy and Darcy. I hope they both get long term extensions.

Are you still gonna want Ruff fired if he wins coach of the year and the Sabres win the cup?

Just curious.

Of course not. But for that to happen will mean that he has fixed the issues that we all have brought up. Issues that make him a good, but not great, coach,.. yet. When the Sabres win the cup, I want Lindy to be the coach behind the bench. I have seen things this year that tells me he is going to do it. It might not be with the Sabres but he is going to do it.

I have said since I first came here, which was during bad times for the Sabres, that anyone who thinks Lindy should be fired doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. There is no other coach in the league that I would rather have. We are so freaking lucky to have two guys as insightful and hard working and intelligent as Lindy and Darcy. I hope they both get long term extensions.

TWELVE MORE YEARS! TWELVE MORE YEARS!

Of course not. But for that to happen will mean that he has fixed the issues that we all have brought up. Issues that make him a good, but not great, coach,.. yet. When the Sabres win the cup, I want Lindy to be the coach behind the bench. I have seen things this year that tells me he is going to do it. It might not be with the Sabres but he is going to do it.

Exactly one instant after some of you get your wish that Ruff is fired, he will have another, higher-paying HC job in the NHL.

Relax, Captain Ahab. Moby Ruff is effectively Coach for Life here in Buffalo, and if he keeps piling up wins, awards and...gasp...maybe even a cup, you just may find yourself in a padded cell yelling at the walls. Get a grip, dude.

Tis team has far exceeded all of our expectations so far this year, yet we still find nits to pick at when it comes to the coaching. Some of you people bitch just to bitch. I guarentee if they won the cup in five games there would be some that bitch because it wasn't a sweep and demand Lindy's head.

Exactly one instant after some of you get your wish that Ruff is fired, he will have another, higher-paying HC job in the NHL.

And he should.

Relax, Captain Ahab. Moby Ruff is effectively Coach for Life here in Buffalo, and if he keeps piling up wins, awards and...gasp...maybe even a cup, you just may find yourself in a padded cell yelling at the walls. Get a grip, dude.

Tis team has far exceeded all of our expectations so far this year, yet we still find nits to pick at when it comes to the coaching. Some of you people bitch just to bitch. I guarentee if they won the cup in five games there would be some that bitch because it wasn't a sweep and demand Lindy's head.

I find it hilarious that in the GDTs, I'm one of the most optimistic posters in it, and one of the least likely to slit his wrists if they lose. Yet when I bring up legitimate and rational concerns, I'm the one told to get a grip.

And don't worry, if Lindy brings a Cup to Buffalo, I'll be first in line at the parade to give him a downtown reach-around.

More on this in the Buffalo News today - apparently he picked that up watching Team Russia - who woulda' thunk, with his history with Russian players!

Link

Goes to show he pays attention and is willing to try things with his own team to change things up and make things happen. That's why he is regularly a candidate for the Jack Adams award.

Yeah, that's what he did. I guess Duchene is really stupid.

Bet you feel somewhat vindicated by the articles above. In fairness to swamp, I wasn't quite sure, either, what Duchene had meant until I read the new information today.

Bet you feel somewhat vindicated by the articles above. In fairness to swamp, I wasn't quite sure, either, what Duchene had meant until I read the new information today.

No need to be fair to me. I knew what he meant, but without PA around here lately I thought someone needed to step up and play antagonist. Man, those are some big shoes to fill.

No need to be fair to me. I knew what he meant, but without PA around here lately I thought someone needed to step up and play antagonist. Man, those are some big shoes to fill.

Not to mention that you're probably not old enough.

Archived