Ruff's Coaching Creativity

Dave Dryden

I think ESPN said it best. In their midseason awards under jack adams for best coach it lists nominees and why, it says ruff and the explanation is simply, "Lindy Ruff should be nominated every year". Face it, haters. He's a GREAT coach. Who are you going to get that's better. San Jose had coach turnover, and they've been in the presidents trophy race for like the last 5 seasons.

In fact, right now, who is a better coach than Lindy Ruff?

totally agree...it's darcy that makes him look like a fool sometimes...

Are you still gonna want Ruff fired if he wins coach of the year and the Sabres win the cup?

Just curious.

Very few people got "tired" of Ruff and wanted him gone. There's a reason why he's been a head coach for so long in the NHL and why he's coached Canada in the Worlds and now as an assistant in the Olympics. Ruff is a hockey mastermind. The only time he was "gifted" great rosters, he almost dominated the league 2 years in a row. If he were coaching the Flyers, Wings or what not, he'd already have several rings.

Very few people got "tired" of Ruff and wanted him gone. There's a reason why he's been a head coach for so long in the NHL and why he's coached Canada in the Worlds and now as an assistant in the Olympics. Ruff is a hockey mastermind. The only time he was "gifted" great rosters, he almost dominated the league 2 years in a row. If he were coaching the Flyers, Wings or what not, he'd already have several rings.

I support Ruff as much as anyone. Your point is what?

He may be creative. He's definitely adaptive. He's overall a great x's and o's coach. I would not get rid of him for the simple fact that there is no better alternative out there. He is among the best coaches in the league.

Having said that, he's not perfect. I don't always agree with his line combinations, and it seems he has trouble motivating the team at times. He's the antithesis of Ted Nolan, who was a great motivator (under his helm we became known as "the hardest working team in hockey") but wasn't a great x's and o's guy.

But would I fire him? Absolutely not. Darcy needs to get this team one more elite scoring threat. I'm not nearly as high on Darcy as I am Lindy.

Is this a testament to his creativity or his adaptability? I'll go with the latter. It would be creative if he designed it. Implementing someone else's schemes isn't creative.

Wow very PA like and accurate. But hey nothing wrong with plagerizing especially when it works. Very adaptable indeed.

Archived