How many games for Kaleta?

PASabreFan

No discussion of his brutal hit on Kariya?

This hit could end up being exhibit A for those who want to get rid of head shots in the NHL.

My God, how can a man who just came back from getting nailed in the head do that to another player, another human being?

I honestly don't get it.

This could be a suspension in the three-game neighborhood. It should be more.

No discussion of his brutal hit on Kariya?

This hit could end up being exhibit A for those who want to get rid of head shots in the NHL. My God, how can a man who just came back from getting nailed in the head do that to another player, another human being?

I honestly don't get it. This could be a suspension in the three-game neighborhood. It should be more.

Uhh, maybe because he didn't hit him in the head? It was a clean hit to the shoulder, and no penalty should have been called on the play. Ref was out of position, and apparently you were, too.

Uhh, maybe because he didn't hit him in the head? It was a clean hit to the shoulder, and no penalty should have been called on the play. Ref was out of position, and apparently you were, too.

Don't you have to open up for the early drinkers?

Let's not forget Kaleta had just stepped out after serving an interference penalty that should have been called slew-footing.

Don't you have to open up for the early drinkers?

Let's not forget Kaleta had just stepped out after serving an interference penalty that should have been called slew-footing.

It looks like the NHL has targeted Kaleta to be made an example of, he is being whistled for every knit picking play he makes. I don't want him taking cheap shots but I also don"t want to see his game shut down by this bias bull crap.

It looks like the NHL has targeted Kaleta to be made an example of, he is being whistled for every knit picking play he makes. I don't want him taking cheap shots but I also don"t want to see his game shut down by this bias bull crap.

Nitpicking?! He drilled Kariya in the side of the head.

Nitpicking?! He drilled Kariya in the side of the head.

No, he didn't. The first one was a clear slew foot and the league may suspend him for injuring a player (himself.) However, the second one was contact to Kariya's shoulder. I have the game DVR'd and have watched it a couple of times on replay. His shoulder may have come off his body a little early, but he made contact with Kariya's shoulder, not his head.

No, he didn't. The first one was a clear slew foot and the league may suspend him for injuring a player (himself.) However, the second one was contact to Kariya's shoulder. I have the game DVR'd and have watched it a couple of times on replay. His shoulder may have come off his body a little early, but he made contact with Kariya's shoulder, not his head.

I have a DVR now, too, free, thanks to DirecTV fearing my UFA status and the fetching Dish Network. So I can approach these issues with even more confidence and certitude.

So, whatever, we see it differently.

Interesting to look at how Kariya's head reacted to his shoulder being hit. And interesting that Kariya didn't return.

We'll see if any more information comes out of St. Louis today.

The chatter on the HF boards seems to be pretty one sided in that it was a clear elbow from Kaleta. The Sabres fans agree, and all the other posters that hate Kaleta are acting like immature pricks, but I digress. The consensus seems to be that it was a dirty hit. Unfortunately I didn't see it and there's no youtube video, so I can't bring my own opinion.

I have a DVR now, too, free, thanks to DirecTV fearing my UFA status and the fetching Dish Network. So I can approach these issues with even more confidence and certitude.

So, whatever, we see it differently.

Interesting to look at how Kariya's head reacted to his shoulder being hit. And interesting that Kariya didn't return.

We'll see if any more information comes out of St. Louis today.

I wish that I could post a screen cap from my DVR, but going frame by frame, it's clear that he caught him on the back of shoulder. Kariya's head did not snap around; his body spun around. As for not coming back, he seemed to be OK for the last 25 seconds of the period when he was back out on the PP and put a shot on goal. I won't deny that Kaleta brought his elbow up, but there is zero doubt in my mind that he caught Kariya on the back of the shoulder.

I won't put this out there as proof, because it is not, but rather supporting evidence: when was the last time that you saw a player take a blindside elbow to the head and not end up lying on the ice, much less stay on his feet?

I saw the play last night....clear elbow...not a headshot...Kaleta came from behind...so it caught Kariya by suprise...I think.

Bottom line is Kaleta needs to spend less time doing thoughtless things. I like that he is hardnosed..but he can be foolish too.

I missed this play as I had turned the channel for a moment, so I can't comment. But I will say that the Sabres ABSOLUTELY need a guy like Pat Kaleta given the way the NHL is currently structured. In the current NHL, fighting is a felony offense but other than that you can do anything you want to do. Given the Sabres have more-than-average small and faster players, the team as a whole is abused on a nightly basis, particularly if Kaleta isn't engaged. Second, the current Sabres are VERY prone to lack-of-effort (which I believe to be the result of having a less-physical, more skill-oriented team).

Pat Kaleta's style of play is an antidote to both of these things. Does he go over the edge sometimes? Of course. But what choice do the Sabres have in playing this way? The Ottawa games are a joke. No one can tell me that numerous Ottawa players aren't intent on hurting people (Ruutu and Neil without a doubt)... and the NHL has decided this is the way the league will go. "Toughness" before "Skill" - as long as you don't fight. So, as far as I'm concerned, debating whether or not Kaleta made an illegal hit or not - I could care less. According to the NHL and style of play that is allowed, Kariya just wasn't "tough enough". So, if that's the way it is, that's the way we play.

Elbow to the shoulder, not a headshot. This was a reputation call pure and simple. It's kinda like seeing Jesus in your toasted cheese sandwich, if you want to see it bad enough, you will.

Maybe reputation played into it. But the ref sees Kaleta leave the box, circle around from behind, deliver a blindside hit and come through with his elbow extended in a classic fashion. Charging, checking from behind, elbowing, take your pick. It could have been Mother Theresa on skates...he had to call something.

Agreed. I can see a call there, but there should be no fine/suspension upon further review.

I missed this play as I had turned the channel for a moment, so I can't comment. But I will say that the Sabres ABSOLUTELY need a guy like Pat Kaleta given the way the NHL is currently structured. In the current NHL, fighting is a felony offense but other than that you can do anything you want to do. Given the Sabres have more-than-average small and faster players, the team as a whole is abused on a nightly basis, particularly if Kaleta isn't engaged. Second, the current Sabres are VERY prone to lack-of-effort (which I believe to be the result of having a less-physical, more skill-oriented team).

Pat Kaleta's style of play is an antidote to both of these things. Does he go over the edge sometimes? Of course. But what choice do the Sabres have in playing this way? The Ottawa games are a joke. No one can tell me that numerous Ottawa players aren't intent on hurting people (Ruutu and Neil without a doubt)... and the NHL has decided this is the way the league will go. "Toughness" before "Skill" - as long as you don't fight. So, as far as I'm concerned, debating whether or not Kaleta made an illegal hit or not - I could care less. According to the NHL and style of play that is allowed, Kariya just wasn't "tough enough". So, if that's the way it is, that's the way we play.

Methinks Sabres fans are on the same page regarding the skill product which Buffalo is putting on the ice

and this is a tradition that goes back to the days of the French Connection! (For those who don't know: Gilbert

Perrault, Rene Robert and Richard Martin) LR & DR remember those days and rightfully so.

The NHL is not rollerblade around a rink where the object is to kill your opponent

To appease the pugilist, goon morons who can't skate is a problem in the NHL and the sooner we get the wizards

of OZ (NHL management) to be held to task the sooner we will win a SC.

The whole of the NHL universe is predicated on families taking the trouble, expense and dedication of

having their children become future NHL skill athletes. It is virtually impossible without that committment!

The NHL needs to clean up its act - now, this season. The cameras are rolling - there is NO turning back!

And to your comments specifically, I say we do NOT get sucked into that style of game - there are plenty of teams out there who don't play that way nor do their fans want them to! When Kaleta plays a smart game we can shut down the opposition and get bonus goals including shorthanded ones!

The fact that the referees/NHL is turning a blind eye on Ottawa's last two games against the Sabres resulting in obvious head shots and injuries without repercussion smells of undue influence! We need to get their attention so that the morons out in hockey world - including those in our midst - can go elsewhere. We can do without them but they can't do without us!!!

Methinks Sabres fans are on the same page regarding the skill product which Buffalo is putting on the ice

and this is a tradition that goes back to the days of the French Connection! (For those who don't know: Gilbert

Perrault, Rene Robert and Richard Martin) LR & DR remember those days and rightfully so.

Was explaining which three Sabres legends constituted the French Connection really necessary?

Was explaining which three Sabres legends constituted the French Connection really necessary?

Methinks it is in order to remember our roots and build upon them wherever we can. And they were definitely a tradition of excellence that epitomized our relationship with the best Canada had to offer!

Acknowledging their contribution we continue our quest for Lord Stanley! And, I am sure there are plenty who have no clue about their contribution! OK now?

Finally, that is exactly my point, that skill style of play is anathema to the goons on these boards!

Methinks the better idea would be to have a balanced team featuring hitters, grinders, fighters, scorers and playmakers.

The traditions of the French Connection are intertwined with Schoenfeld pounding Cashman through the Zamboni boards, Gare dropping the gloves with anyone in the league and holding his own, Rick Dudley being the primal hitting beast who crushed skulls when he dropped his gloves, King Kong Korab punishing anything that came near him, Larry "Hawk" Carriere getting in a fight almost every game, and Spinner Spencer playing the roll of Tazmanian Devil.

Archived