AHL in Buffalo

Hawk

Was at the Portland site and noticed that they average under 3000 a game. AHL Tix are pretty cheap, and as a fan of Hockey in general, I think I would be inclined to buy seasons if there was a team here. Now I know they probably would not be in the Arena, due to scheduling of the Sabres and other events, but maybe a team in the Falls with a new rink would work. Thoughts?

Was at the Portland site and noticed that they average under 3000 a game. AHL Tix are pretty cheap, and as a fan of Hockey in general, I think I would be inclined to buy seasons if there was a team here. Now I know they probably would not be in the Arena, due to scheduling of the Sabres and other events, but maybe a team in the Falls with a new rink would work. Thoughts?

I think it would be more successful in the "other" Falls. Actually, it would be a really good idea to put an AHL team there.

How much does it cost to buy an AHL team? I've got about six or seven hundred dollars I can spare.

Costs of buying AHL teams is between $2.5 to 3.5 million.

I am not sure a AHL team would work in Buffalo. Several have had success in major cities, however, it's minor league hockey after all and most success comes in minor league cities. If they were going to put another hockey club in/or around Buffalo, i think the wiser thing to do would be adding a OHL team. OHL isn't only out of Ontario Canada, as Erie, PA has a team too.

Speaking of hockey in Buffalo, about a year ago or so i heard a rumor that UB was going to have a D1 hockey program. Does anyone know if that's still true? I think that would be great.

Costs of buying AHL teams is between $2.5 to 3.5 million.

I am not sure a AHL team would work in Buffalo. Several have had success in major cities, however, it's minor league hockey after all and most success comes in minor league cities. If they were going to put another hockey club in/or around Buffalo, i think the wiser thing to do would be adding a OHL team. OHL isn't only out of Ontario Canada, as Erie, PA has a team too.

Speaking of hockey in Buffalo, about a year ago or so i heard a rumor that UB was going to have a D1 hockey program. Does anyone know if that's still true? I think that would be great.

I think an AHL team here would be a bad idea. If the AHL team is competitive it is going to steal Sabres attendance numbers based solely on price point. I would definitely be less inclined to go see the Sabres, especially if they were having a bad season, if there was an AHL team in town for cheaper.

On the UB hockey note, I don't know how UB would go D1 for hockey considering they don't even have a D3 team.

And they'd have nowhere to play. There's no room in any of the conferences right now.

CHA has only four teams; there's room.

But UB has never dedicated itself to building a hockey program. It's still a club sport there, right?

The UB thing you are referring to was a consultant's report that suggested UB dump sports like baseball and add lacrosse and hockey. Warde Manuel the AD basically said that unless UB gets major donor support for hockey and gets a slot in a major hockey conference (read: NOT CHA) then it's not worth doing. No word on lacrosse.

As for an AHL team they already had one in St. Catherines that moved. (It was even a Loafs farm team and it didn't help.) One in Buffalo would do okay for a while until the newness wore off. Until the Sabres sell out every game and have a 10,000 waiting list there is no point. The Bandits already fill that minor/alternative winter sport niche.

PTR

CHA has only four teams; there's room.

But UB has never dedicated itself to building a hockey program. It's still a club sport there, right?

The CHA's folding. Bemidji's going to the WCHA next year. Niagara and Robert Morris will be in Atlantic Hockey. Alabama Huntsville will be facing possible extinction because the CCHA rejected them and they'll be going independent.

Why not put one in Toronto? With that hockey market I have no doubt they could support a couple of AHL teams along with maybe a second NHL.

I can't tell where you're going with this one, but you do realize that there is an AHL team in Toronto already, right?

Well, he did say a couple of AHL teams so I'm sure he knows. It would be quite funny though if the Sabres would own an AHL team in Toronto.

The UB thing you are referring to was a consultant's report that suggested UB dump sports like baseball and add lacrosse and hockey. Warde Manuel the AD basically said that unless UB gets major donor support for hockey and gets a slot in a major hockey conference (read: NOT CHA) then it's not worth doing. No word on lacrosse.

As for an AHL team they already had one in St. Catherines that moved. (It was even a Loafs farm team and it didn't help.) One in Buffalo would do okay for a while until the newness wore off. Until the Sabres sell out every game and have a 10,000 waiting list there is no point. The Bandits already fill that minor/alternative winter sport niche.

PTR

I really think that Manuel needs to rethink his stance on hockey and lacrosse. It is unrealistic to think you are going to commit to hockey and immediately gain a place in a major hockey conference. As far as lacrosse goes, I don't get it. The startup costs are not astronomic. It is a no brainer. I would love to see UB add both sports.

I have a copy of the Corrigan report on my computer somewhere, but can't find it right now. Basically it suited Manuel well because the recommendation was to upgrade the AD position(This was prior to his hiring). Beyond that, it doesn't seem like he had much use for it.

Bottom line...WNY and Southern Ontario are hotbeds for both sports and it would seem that the recruiting would be a heck of a lot easier than it would be for other sports.

I really think that Manuel needs to rethink his stance on hockey and lacrosse. It is unrealistic to think you are going to commit to hockey and immediately gain a place in a major hockey conference. As far as lacrosse goes, I don't get it. The startup costs are not astronomic. It is a no brainer. I would love to see UB add both sports.

I have a copy of the Corrigan report on my computer somewhere, but can't find it right now. Basically it suited Manuel well because the recommendation was to upgrade the AD position(This was prior to his hiring). Beyond that, it doesn't seem like he had much use for it.

Bottom line...WNY and Southern Ontario are hotbeds for both sports and it would seem that the recruiting would be a heck of a lot easier than it would be for other sports.

Men's rowing, too. But it is likely a scholarship issue. For every scholarship in a men's sport, there must be a scholarship in a women's sport. The presence of football alone means adding two or three women's sports just to keep up (which is why, for example, there is a women's rowing team, but not a men's rowing team). Add in women's hockey and women's lacrosse to keep it equal, and the costs quickly add up.

Men's rowing, too. But it is likely a scholarship issue. For every scholarship in a men's sport, there must be a scholarship in a women's sport. The presence of football alone means adding two or three women's sports just to keep up (which is why, for example, there is a women's rowing team, but not a men's rowing team). Add in women's hockey and women's lacrosse to keep it equal, and the costs quickly add up.

Not if they drop other sports that have no chance of making any money or have any fan interest. ;)

Not if they drop other sports that have no chance of making any money or have any fan interest. ;)

Their conference may require participation in things like wrestling, swimming and cross-country. (I don't know; just guessing.) Track probably overlaps with football. Cutting tennis won't make that big a difference.

And even all that assumes that there are scholarship athletes in those sports.

Archived