Myers Article

wonderbread

I thought Myers had his shakiest game of the season last night until the end of the 2nd, when he seemed to find his comfort zone. He had a few giveaways in the defensive zone, including that one that was just giftwrapped to AO on the doorstep. He also had a PP where he turned it over 3 times and was totally unable to get the puck into the offensive zone. He still had over 25 minutes of ice time and played just about every second that Ovechkin's line was out there. Pretty nice that he was able to settle down and play a leading role in putting the game away.

Miller has obviously been very sharp, but the emergence of Myers-Tallinder as a 22-25 minute per game top pairing is a huge factor in the team's defensive improvement over last year.

I thought Myers had his shakiest game of the season last night until the end of the 2nd, when he seemed to find his comfort zone. He had a few giveaways in the defensive zone, including that one that was just giftwrapped to AO on the doorstep. He also had a PP where he turned it over 3 times and was totally unable to get the puck into the offensive zone. He still had over 25 minutes of ice time and played just about every second that Ovechkin's line was out there. Pretty nice that he was able to settle down and play a leading role in putting the game away.

Miller has obviously been very sharp, but the emergence of Myers-Tallinder as a 22-25 minute per game top pairing is a huge factor in the team's defensive improvement over last year.

He's still at that awkward age. :)

Imagine when this kid completely gets his feet and wits under and about him.

That should make this Summer pretty interesting, if it keeps up.

Indeed. It's pretty amazing, after the past 2-3 years, that (I think) most of us would welcome Tallinder back as a top pairing guy assuming (i) the price is right and (ii) he keeps this up all year.

That is a good read, and I'm glad for the kid - looks like he has a stable head on those lanky shoulders.

It's scary (scary good actually, as RJ loves to say) how good a player he is and can become. I doubt he'll ever be a big, nasty d-man of the Pronger type, but I think when he puts on some weight and broadens those shoulders he'll be able to use some muscle as well as that long reach when putting off charging forwards.

I've been trying to think of who Myers' game most reminds me of. Everyone says Chara and Pronger, mostly due to their size, but I think Myers' game is pretty different from those 2. He doesn't play the devastating physical game that Pronger does, and he's a better skater and more graceful than Chara.

At this point, I think his game most resembles Bouwmeester's, with a bit of Chara thrown in. Bouwmeester is also a very fluid skater who is very sound defensively, sees the ice very well, pretty good skating the puck up ice, pretty good passer, not that physical, and can play a ton of minutes. Myers has a bit of Chara in that like Chara he uses his enormous range to shut down a huge portion of the defensive zone, and he'll also lay out a solid hit now and then when it's in the flow of the play (he crushed Avery the other night).

Pretty good for a 19-year-old.

I've been trying to think of who Myers' game most reminds me of. Everyone says Chara and Pronger, mostly due to their size, but I think Myers' game is pretty different from those 2. He doesn't play the devastating physical game that Pronger does, and he's a better skater and more graceful than Chara.

At this point, I think his game most resembles Bouwmeester's, with a bit of Chara thrown in. Bouwmeester is also a very fluid skater who is very sound defensively, sees the ice very well, pretty good skating the puck up ice, pretty good passer, not that physical, and can play a ton of minutes. Myers has a bit of Chara in that like Chara he uses his enormous range to shut down a huge portion of the defensive zone, and he'll also lay out a solid hit now and then when it's in the flow of the play (he crushed Avery the other night).

Pretty good for a 19-year-old.

Maybe others should be comparing themselves to him. That Kennedy goal was beyond cool. To me it was an iconic moment for Myers. Standing there heroically in the heat of the battle, like Washington crossing the Delaware or something. It almost sounds obscene to merely call him a defenseman. Maybe the name of the position he plays hasn't been coined yet.

It almost sounds obscene to merely call him a defenseman. Maybe the name of the position he plays hasn't been coined yet.

It has been, but has not seen the light of day for years. Back in the REAL old days, there used to be six skaters + a goalie. The extra skater was called a "rover" and he pretty much did what Myers has been doing: going wherever he is needed on the ice. Linky:Wikipedia...rover

It has been, but has not seen the light of day for years. Back in the REAL old days, there used to be six skaters + a goalie. The extra skater was called a "rover" and he pretty much did what Myers has been doing: going wherever he is needed on the ice. Linky:Wikipedia...rover

That's great. Thanks.

I dare you to send Tyler Myers over. hehe

I wanna see him break 30. That would be absurd.

I feel a little better about my "Should Myers be coached?" topic. Early in the season, Ruff had Myers in the 17-18 minute range in back to back games. I hated that. The conventional wisdom would be, yes, that's right, you manage a kid's ice time in back to back games. Bull. Ruff has sinced learned he has a Beast on his hands. Kudos to Lindy for just letting Myers be Myers.

That's great. Thanks.

I dare you to send Tyler Myers over. hehe

:lol:

I feel a little better about my "Should Myers be coached?" topic. Early in the season, Ruff had Myers in the 17-18 minute range in back to back games. I hated that. The conventional wisdom would be, yes, that's right, you manage a kid's ice time in back to back games. Bull. Ruff has sinced learned he has a Beast on his hands. Kudos to Lindy for just letting Myers be Myers.

And I think it would be insane of Lindy not to let him just go wild. Myers has proven that he is completely capable of making our veteran D-men look lazy and ineffective, as he effortlessly legs the puck down the ice. His ability to keep the puck in at the point is thrilling, considering how accustomed we as fans have become to watching the puck jump over point-mens' sticks (I'm looking at you Pominville). When Myers is on the ice, good things just happen. He puts the puck where it needs to be and isn't worried about going to the net. His long stride lets him very easily escape from down low in the zone back to the neutral zone if need be and his hustle can make up for the occasional bad pinch, not that he makes many.

I just find it hard to believe that a 19 year old kid can be such a solid hockey player. I'm still not sure I think it's real.

No matter what transpires between now and April, this season seems destined to be marked by: 1) the ascension of Miller's play to truly elite / franchise star caliber; and 2) the stunning and unexpected emergence of Myers on defense. As a foundation for a contending team for years to come, having a bonafide All-Star goalie and a defenseman with the potential to become a dominating force with experience is the right place to be for this franchise. If Vanek could expand his game to tap into his true potential and become a more dominant force on the forward ranks from night to night, the Sabres would have a true "core" to grow around.

I know he had a large share of detractors but one really can't argue with the stats and the impact that Phil Housley had in Buffalo and the NHL - Myers seems to be the first Sabre defender since Housley that is capable of making an equal, if not greater, impact.

28:32 TOI tonight.

He's up to 22:46 TOI/GP, which is #1 among rookies by over 30 seconds. He's only tied for 47th in the league, but his early game numbers are keeping that average a little low. However, over the last six games, he has averaged 26:05! That average, were he to do it over an extended period, would put him in the #6 spot behind just Boyle, Bouwmeester, Keith, Niedermayer and Pronger.

Interesting comparison:

Campbell, Brian - 23:10 TOI/GP, 1G, 15A, +8

Myers, Tyler - 22:46 TOI/GP, 3G, 15A, +8

• 2 weeks later...

Myers got himself a feature in the New York Times (link on the front page). Wow. Talk about getting noticed--that paper doesn't have a lot of sports coverage in general, compared to its local counterparts, much less coverage of rookie defensemen from across the state.

Myers got himself a feature in the New York Times (link on the front page). Wow. Talk about getting noticed--that paper doesn't have a lot of sports coverage in general, compared to its local counterparts, much less coverage of rookie defensemen from across the state.

Rhapsodic. Check.

Preternatural. Check.

Equanimity. Check.

Hockey in The Times is so high brow!

No matter what transpires between now and April, this season seems destined to be marked by: 1) the ascension of Miller's play to truly elite / franchise star caliber; and 2) the stunning and unexpected emergence of Myers on defense. As a foundation for a contending team for years to come, having a bonafide All-Star goalie and a defenseman with the potential to become a dominating force with experience is the right place to be for this franchise. If Vanek could expand his game to tap into his true potential and become a more dominant force on the forward ranks from night to night, the Sabres would have a true "core" to grow around.

I know he had a large share of detractors but one really can't argue with the stats and the impact that Phil Housley had in Buffalo and the NHL - Myers seems to be the first Sabre defender since Housley that is capable of making an equal, if not greater, impact.

Add in Pominville and Roy playing up to expectations as well. Guess it's the chicken and egg again....Darcy for "overpaying" these guys or Ruff not bringing out the best in them. All players have up and downs, but it just seems there's been too many downs once these guys signed their long-term contracts.

Don't get me wrong, this team definitely is not like the past couple of years' teams, where they caved in. Imagine if the scorers can turn it on. You could see a run like New Jersey has had accepting the premise Miller has now reached that plateau.

Archived