The New "Aud"

bottlecap

They wrecked the old Boston Garden and they called the new arena the "TD Bank North Garden" which they eventually shortened to "the Garden".

Why not do this with the HSBC Arena. Just call it the HSBC Auditorium (aka The Aud) and we're all set. I know I'd like to refer to it as the Aud.

Good thought.

I know our society has a need to wipe history clean, but it always bugged me some quirky elements of the Aud couldn't have been designed into the new arena. Same color scheme as the Aud, for example.

Man, the new place is sterile and boring. Yes, I've been there. I've often wondered if the quietness of the building reflects the building itself. Will anyone weep when this monstrosity is torn down?

Good thought.

I know our society has a need to wipe history clean, but it always bugged me some quirky elements of the Aud couldn't have been designed into the new arena. Same color scheme as the Aud, for example.

Man, the new place is sterile and boring. Yes, I've been there. I've often wondered if the quietness of the building reflects the building itself. Will anyone weep when this monstrosity is torn down?

Yeah, "The House that Larry Built." (sarcasm)

Good thought.

Using the same color scheme or a variation of it for the seats would have been cool. My biggest gripe is in the lack of leg room(I'm only 6'1") in the lower bowl and one reason why I would never consider season tickets down there.

As far as calling it the Aud...eh. The time has come and gone. They could have called it Marine Midland Auditorium from the get go, but they used the term Arena in the name and too much time has passed for that to change.

Good thought.

Our society also has the need to hang on to the past way longer than they should. I love HSBC. Everyone I talk to in the NYC area that has gone to a game there tells me what a great arena it is.

Our society also has the need to hang on to the past way longer than they should. I love HSBC. Everyone I talk to in the NYC area that has gone to a game there tells me what a great arena it is.

Why do you love it?

My impression of it was cavernous, quiet, colorless. Sat down low each time and thought the sightlines were poor. It's cookie cutter. Done on the cheap maybe. As an aside, I can't believe how shoddy the banners are. What does it say about the organization?

I remember going to a Sabres - Islanders game and walking next to some Isle fans on the way to the Arena. They were like HOLY SH!T this place is huge!

FWIW, they're changing the Pepsi Center name within the next couple of months. Seems Coke has the pouring rights now.

I remember going to a Sabres - Islanders game and walking next to some Isle fans on the way to the Arena. They were like HOLY SH!T this place is huge!

FWIW, they're changing the Pepsi Center name within the next couple of months. Seems Coke has the pouring rights now.

Ha well if youve ever been to the isles' home rink it. is. the. worst ive ever been to. I mean absolute garbage.

Why do you love it?

My impression of it was cavernous, quiet, colorless. Sat down low each time and thought the sightlines were poor. It's cookie cutter. Done on the cheap maybe. As an aside, I can't believe how shoddy the banners are. What does it say about the organization?

I know you're really pushing this Quiet thesis, but I just isn't true. I don't think it's any louder or quieter than any other arena. I will say that I personally have never heard MSG as loud as HSBC (of course, I've never seen the Sabres lose at MSG so that might have something to do with it).

I just like the entire event at HSBC. I like hanging out downtown before the game. I like taking the train to the arena. And when you walk into that cavernous atrium, it's impressive (it also doesn't hurt that it gets you out of the elements quicker, especially when it's 25 degrees out and blowin' thirty off the lake).

I also like that I fit in any of the seats, even up top. At 6'4" I just can't fit in The Rock's seats. I get vertigo at the Verizon center, it's not a problem at the beginning of the game but those beers are big. Although the hang in Washington is pretty cool. And yes, the Nassau Coliseum is a dump.

I wonder if the building acoustics also play a part?

I've been to HSBC and to the Garden here in Boston.. the Garden does appear to be larger in size, but the lighter paint scheme would also have to do with that. The Garden is definitely louder though - maybe that's cos I've never been to a playoff game in Buffalo - the place does get really loud when the B's do the 'make some noise' segment, the same thing in HSBC was quite limp.

Using the same color scheme or a variation of it for the seats would have been cool. My biggest gripe is in the lack of leg room(I'm only 6'1") in the lower bowl and one reason why I would never consider season tickets down there.

Don't ever go to a game in Denver. The seating in the lower bowl was the most absurd thing I've ever seen. The distance between the tip of the seat and the back of the seat in front of it is the same as the width of a human knee. I absolutely refuse to sit in the lower bowl there if I ever go back.

Don't ever go to a game in Denver. The seating in the lower bowl was the most absurd thing I've ever seen. The distance between the tip of the seat and the back of the seat in front of it is the same as the width of a human knee. I absolutely refuse to sit in the lower bowl there if I ever go back.

Completely random. If you're Tyler Myers' height, how do you fit in a car?

Archived