"Trick play" ties Pens game

PASabreFan

There are only so many ways you can work 5 guys into a secret play. I agree though. More plays that make you think "wtf just happened?" would be nice to see.

The trick is risk vs. reward. If he doesn't score then do we even talk about it? It's just another botched empty net attempt. Take the chance or don't, goals have been scored 6 on 5 without trick plays for years now, I don't think it matters.

The trick is risk vs. reward. If he doesn't score then do we even talk about it? It's just another botched empty net attempt. Take the chance or don't, goals have been scored 6 on 5 without trick plays for years now, I don't think it matters.

What's the risk of putting Staal over by the boards? I'd say zero risk. The reward is huge. No one on Chicago, except the guys on the bench, even noticed him.

What about a second puck in the trousers?

What's the risk of putting Staal over by the boards? I'd say zero risk. The reward is huge. No one on Chicago, except the guys on the bench, even noticed him.

What about a second puck in the trousers?

The risk is them not scoring and people whining and complaining about why Staal wasn't in a traditional spot for the faceoff. Which is exactly what people would do.

The risk is them not scoring and people whining and complaining about why Staal wasn't in a traditional spot for the faceoff. Which is exactly what people would do.

If they hadn't scored, it wouldn't have had anything to do with Staal's position off the faceoff.

Fan and media reaction is not a risk factor a coach should consider.

I watched it last night. Actually when the Sabres are not playing because I live outside of Pgh behind enemy lines and I do like hockey, I watch a lot of Penguins hockey. They get a ton of local coverage and analysis on the team.

What I have seen and I do like about their coach Blysma is he does create and practice set plays; like getting a shot on goal off face off's, PP's or end of game situations. He picked a style and crafts plays that utilize his players strengths and has had a fair amount of success with it so far. He defintely turned around the Penguins season last year and got them to the playoff's.

I think you're right. Stall could have started in the traditional position, weaved back, and still, he could have come in to pick up that rebound. It was cute, but not essential.

The only downside is if he's over on the right side of the ice (looking towards the net) he's one more body that can get if the way if the puck comes out towards the blue line. But, I think that's less likely than the defensive team winning the face-off and winging the puck around behind the net and out. I think it's probably a good idea to put someone there 6-on-5 anyways, 'trick' play or not.

Besides, that play strikes as a 'works once' type of deal, and the cat is out of the bag. And even for 'works', the puck appeared to bounce around a bit and end up right on Stall's stick. Had the defense center pointed it out to the RW (like a QB calling out blocking), the RW just needed to slide over a bit and Stall is looking at shin pads and stick in the way.

For a few years, the Sabres have used the push forward and pass over to the driving winger faceoff "trick play" with some success. A couple of years ago, it worked really well several times, usually with Pommer scoring. Of late, it hasn't been as successful, suggesting teams are looking for it.

For a few years, the Sabres have used the push forward and pass over to the driving winger faceoff "trick play" with some success. A couple of years ago, it worked really well several times, usually with Pommer scoring. Of late, it hasn't been as successful, suggesting teams are looking for it.

With video available on all the teams games played anymore with a little effort it's not hard to scout a teams tendencies. For the amount of games played I'm not sure much attention is given between Western vs Eastern teams other than what to expect.

However within the conference I'm sure all Eastern teams pretty much know what to look for. IMO playoff seeding differences are on the line for the teams that have some variations planned, change up some of their own stuff and can execute it against the teams they regularly face especially with the standings as close as they are.

Archived